Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2004

I received the following hoax mail from soemone who had a ProZ profile page, now removed. Names deleted, as a precaution.

XYZ BANK PLC
FROM THE DESK OF XXXXX
Tell:+------------------
Email: [email protected]

Dear Ailish Maher,
I am an Accountant with XYZ BANK PLC.My name is XXXXX, a Banker.I am the personal Account Manager to
Engineer *******, a National of your country, who worked
... See more
I received the following hoax mail from soemone who had a ProZ profile page, now removed. Names deleted, as a precaution.

XYZ BANK PLC
FROM THE DESK OF XXXXX
Tell:+------------------
Email: [email protected]

Dear Ailish Maher,
I am an Accountant with XYZ BANK PLC.My name is XXXXX, a Banker.I am the personal Account Manager to
Engineer *******, a National of your country, who worked
with shell Development company in Nigeria, shall be
referred to as my client. On April 21, 2001,my client, his
wife, and their three children were involved in a car
accident along Sagamu express way. All occupants of the
vehicle unfortunately lost their lives. Since then I have
made several inquiries to your embassy to locate any of my
clients extended Relatives, this has also proved
unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to
trace his last name over the Internet, to locate any member
of his family hence I contacted you. I have contacted you
to assist in repatriating the money and property left
behind by my client before they Get confiscated or declared
unserviceable by the bank where this huge deposits were
lodged,particularly the XYZ BANK PLC.

Where the deceased had an account Valued at ($9.5 Million
US Dollars) has Issued me a notice to provide the next of
kin. Or have the account confiscated within the next ten
official working days. Since I have been unsuccessful
in locating the relatives for over 2years now, I seek your
consent to present you as the next of kin of the
deceasedsince you have the same last name so that the
proceeds of this account valued at ($9.5 Million US
Dollars) can bepaid to you and then we can share the money
according to any agreed ratio. An attorney will be
contacted to help us revalidated and notarize all the
necessary legal documents that can be used to back up our
claim. All I require isyour honesty and maximum
co-operation to enable us see this deal through. I
guarantee that this will be executedunder a legitimate
arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the
law.

Best Regards,

XXXXX
REPLY THROUGH MY PRIVATE MAIL ID:[email protected]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 06:58
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
wow, i am receiving those regularly Jun 12, 2004

Such messages are piling in my proz mailbox, but i never thought it may come from someone having profile with Proz.
Unbelievable.
[quote]Ailish Maher wrote:

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
funny thing is... Jun 12, 2004

... they "require your honesty".
P

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a moderator, or send a Support Request Jun 12, 2004

Hi Ailish,
ProZ.com profile messages are pretty much as vulnerable to spam as any other e-mail address - the difference being that your e-mail address isn't made available to the spammer. Think about it: how would ProZ.com be able to prevent this without intercepting private messages sent to your attention?

What you should do is to contact a moderator or ProZ.com staff (using a Support Request), indicating the profile used to send this. This may help site staff to block the sp
... See more
Hi Ailish,
ProZ.com profile messages are pretty much as vulnerable to spam as any other e-mail address - the difference being that your e-mail address isn't made available to the spammer. Think about it: how would ProZ.com be able to prevent this without intercepting private messages sent to your attention?

What you should do is to contact a moderator or ProZ.com staff (using a Support Request), indicating the profile used to send this. This may help site staff to block the spammer.

Sadly, there isn't a perfect solution to this problem, other than blocking your profile - which will, of course, also prevent potential customers from contacting you.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:58
English to German
+ ...
Ignore it or retaliate Jun 12, 2004

I read a story about someone (obviously having too much time) who found a way to take revenge for this kind of imposture:
He started to communicate with them, each time adding a tiny hidden hint indicating that it was all a ridiculous hoax.
During the many emails and/or faxes his hints became slowly more and more obvious. It took them months to understand what was going on and this way he could at least steal their time....
See more
I read a story about someone (obviously having too much time) who found a way to take revenge for this kind of imposture:
He started to communicate with them, each time adding a tiny hidden hint indicating that it was all a ridiculous hoax.
During the many emails and/or faxes his hints became slowly more and more obvious. It took them months to understand what was going on and this way he could at least steal their time.
Collapse

Taranichev
Taranichev  Identity Verified
Russian to German
+ ...
protect yourself.... Jun 13, 2004

Just install a reliable anti-bugs and/or anti spam tool. Some of them are free and not bad at all. I would suggest this one: http://www.avast.com/
Thanks for warning. We all sould keep our eyes open.
Regards,
AT

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spam thru' ProZ Jun 13, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

... how would ProZ.com be able to prevent this without intercepting private messages sent to your attention?

What you should do is to contact a moderator or ProZ.com staff (using a Support Request), indicating the profile used to send this. This may help site staff to block the spammer.

Best regards, Ralf

Thanks Ralf, I just wanted to bring it to the attention of others, and wasn't at all surprised that the profile had been removed:-) It was the first spam I had ever received of this kind at my ProZ address........

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Still submit a Support Request Jun 13, 2004

Hi again...
Thanks Ralf, I just wanted to bring it to the attention of others, and wasn't at all surprised that the profile had been removed:-)

Fair enough - still, if you submit a Support Request, site staff might be able to block that user (not just the profile).

It was the first spam I had ever received of this kind at my ProZ address........

I know what you mean. Still, for the sake of clarity: your address isn't disclosed to someone who's sending a message via your profile.

Cheers, Ralf

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
well-known Nigeria scam Jun 13, 2004

see this website: http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
to report the information to the authorities. This is a well-known and dangerous scam and the information in your email, if you still have it, should be reported.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
One of the Nigerian scams Jun 13, 2004

As David Green said, it is one of the Nigerian scams. They constantly pop up with a twist here and there and some different sob stories or different family members dying in a number of ways.

Report it to the authorities, delete is and please do NOT give them any of you bank info.

Have a great Sunday.

Lucinda

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks all Jun 13, 2004

Will do as Ralf suggests, that way the sender will hopefully be blocked.

Nonetheless, it intrigues me that people might actually respond to something like this, or anything that smacks of money for old rope.

Don't they realise that very little in this life is earned without pure slog!

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I get those regularly - and also winning "prices" Jun 29, 2004

I get those kinds of mails regularly, asking for assistance to "transfer/help/etc.". I also "win" princes (up to now, some 400 US$ MILLION) from organizations that have a free e-mail account (would you believe that?).

As it is evidently a fraud, I always retaliate by informing the webmasters of the spammers about this - so that those accounts are closed (note that some use one for submission and a different one for the responses).

Obviously it will not deter these guys,
... See more
I get those kinds of mails regularly, asking for assistance to "transfer/help/etc.". I also "win" princes (up to now, some 400 US$ MILLION) from organizations that have a free e-mail account (would you believe that?).

As it is evidently a fraud, I always retaliate by informing the webmasters of the spammers about this - so that those accounts are closed (note that some use one for submission and a different one for the responses).

Obviously it will not deter these guys, but at least they have to go again through opening a new account. The time I invest in my complaints is probably much less than what they require to open a new account...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spam received through ProZ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »