Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
You and ProZ.com: What do you look for in ProZ?
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 19, 2002

Seeing the contents and directions of some of the forum threads, I thought it might be interesting and useful to identify some key points to put into perspective our relationship with ProZ.com as our virtual community:

1. Why are you a member of ProZ.com?

2. What do you look for in ProZ.com?

3. How do you benefit from ProZ.com?

4. How do you use ProZ.com in your everyday work?

I do not seek t
... See more
Seeing the contents and directions of some of the forum threads, I thought it might be interesting and useful to identify some key points to put into perspective our relationship with ProZ.com as our virtual community:

I do not seek to be provocative, but \"thought-provocative\", in an attempt to establish some common threads that could make us work better together as opposed to against each other...

Roberta

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 13:55 ]
Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Have to keep it short and simple: Apr 19, 2002

1. Because in this era of globalization, one should know what is going on in the industry worldwide. I certainly would like ProZ to be an association of professional translators/interpreters, but then it might become an ivory tower out of touch with the market.

2. Personally, what I do NOT look for in ProZ are jobs at the globalized rates. All my jobs have come, so far, only from the real world and I have no problem with that. What I do look forward to in ProZ are discuss
... See more
1. Because in this era of globalization, one should know what is going on in the industry worldwide. I certainly would like ProZ to be an association of professional translators/interpreters, but then it might become an ivory tower out of touch with the market.

2. Personally, what I do NOT look for in ProZ are jobs at the globalized rates. All my jobs have come, so far, only from the real world and I have no problem with that. What I do look forward to in ProZ are discussions on the Forums.

3. Through ProZ I meet people, also in the real world, and, who knows, maybe one day we will be able to do more things together. I have learned a lot from others during these 2.5 years. I have helped, but I also have been helped.

4. I love KudoZ which is about brainstorming. Any challenge is beneficial to your brain! Visiting other SCs also allows me to brush up my secondary languages. KudoZ is a great tool if you know how to use the feedback from peers. If you do not, you still have a lot to learn and KudoZ may be a good place to start. I also have occasionally outsourced through ProZ, but if you are going to impose a fee on that, I will turn elswhere.
Collapse

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Answers Apr 19, 2002

Well, first I became a member of ProZ because I am pretty new in the freelance business and I need contacts, I need assigments, etc. And it works. However, another advantage of ProZ is that you can talk to other translators, you know they\'ll understand, nobody will mix up translator and interpreter, nobody will tell you: why would anyone become a translator, haven\'t you heard? There are computer programs that can translate now, you are not needed anymore. Or: if I want to know something in ano... See more
Well, first I became a member of ProZ because I am pretty new in the freelance business and I need contacts, I need assigments, etc. And it works. However, another advantage of ProZ is that you can talk to other translators, you know they\'ll understand, nobody will mix up translator and interpreter, nobody will tell you: why would anyone become a translator, haven\'t you heard? There are computer programs that can translate now, you are not needed anymore. Or: if I want to know something in another language, I can just buy a dictionary. Etc. etc. ProZ is also a good source of information and exchange of ideas. Sure, there are always the black sheep, but I think overall ProZ is great.Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Private reply from [anonymous] Apr 19, 2002

Here\'s a reply I received by e-mail, from someone who prefers to remain anonymous:

Because ProZ is the largest community of translators, a category of professionals I think I belong to but which is not widely recognised as suche; I thought it was a good opportunity to form aggregation and to improve our stand.

In ProZ I look for colleagues who have more exper
... See more
Here\'s a reply I received by e-mail, from someone who prefers to remain anonymous:

Because ProZ is the largest community of translators, a category of professionals I think I belong to but which is not widely recognised as suche; I thought it was a good opportunity to form aggregation and to improve our stand.

In ProZ I look for colleagues who have more experience than I have, and from whom I can learn something. I look for people who like me work with words and meanings, and I appreciated finding so many people willing to help in times of need, offering for free their knowledge and time. And I thought I could also help others with even less experience than I have.

After 3 years, ProZ only accounts for 1% of my income, in terms of jobs acquired through job postings. But the greatest benefit over these past 3 years has been a professional enrichment thanks to the Kudoz area, and a cultural one thanks to the Forum area.

I go through the questions being posted and the answers given. I read the forum threads about professional and general topics, poetry, literature, information. You can find contributions from people from all other the world, which can only broaden one\'s horizons from a cultural, professional, social and political point of view. Forums are sometimes an occasion of cultural exchange with people who should show sensitivity for words, meaning and social issues.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 13:17 ]
Collapse

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Oh, Proz, it's hard to be humble... Apr 19, 2002

I thought it might be a good stage to display my abundant talents to the world but to my dismay, I discovered at least 29,000 people vastly more skilled than I, truly sickening.

Motivation and inspiration from colleagues (although the latter gives me sore kneecaps for some reason). Seeing so many talented people out there is a great stimulus to
... See more

I thought it might be a good stage to display my abundant talents to the world but to my dismay, I discovered at least 29,000 people vastly more skilled than I, truly sickening.

Motivation and inspiration from colleagues (although the latter gives me sore kneecaps for some reason). Seeing so many talented people out there is a great stimulus to my work and study regime.

It reminds me that another world exists out there away from my workroom and I live in hope that one day, I will see it for myself. I may even brush shoulders with fellow translators as we queue in a Parisien Macdonalds, and to think, we were both members of Proz and we both ordered Big Macs!

Have a squizz every morning. Read around the forums, swear and curse after reading some postings, rant and rave about politics, capitalism and various religious groups to my cat (I realize that this is all the result of my own failings, my cat does too and forgives me) and now fully awake, launch into piles upon piles of absolute bollocks in one language that somebody wants in another.

Collapse

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 20:56
English to German
+ ...
Jobs come first! Apr 19, 2002

I think it\'s the wrong way to look at ProZ to be just a forum for translators and language input (that\'s what Yahoo groups are for). The main thing, which we should never lose sight of, is how many jobs we get through ProZ. So if it\'s 1% or 5%, it\'s bad! ProZ needs to attract more real outsourcers, so a mountain of questionable job postings doesn\'t impress me at all! Can the gods (of ProZ) hear me?

I\'m sure that a lot of it can be blamed on September 11 and the recessi
... See more
I think it\'s the wrong way to look at ProZ to be just a forum for translators and language input (that\'s what Yahoo groups are for). The main thing, which we should never lose sight of, is how many jobs we get through ProZ. So if it\'s 1% or 5%, it\'s bad! ProZ needs to attract more real outsourcers, so a mountain of questionable job postings doesn\'t impress me at all! Can the gods (of ProZ) hear me?

I\'m sure that a lot of it can be blamed on September 11 and the recession even until today. So last summer, in the 2 months before September 11 I did a lot better, than now. Still, I\'m staying, because I\'m hoping for the better, counting on the advertising efforts of the ProZ owners.

Sorry, but jobs come first!

P.S.: The many popup ads that we recently have come to endure sure should generate some revenue for ProZ\'s advertising budget, plus many of us are paying members, right?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 17:16 ]
Collapse

Margaret Lagoyianni
Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:56
English to Greek
+ ...
Why am I here? Apr 19, 2002

I would agree with the comments of \'anonymous\' with one exception. Proz accounts for 0% of my income.

I love the forums and the tittle tattle but above all I love knowing that through proz. I feel I am in touch with the world albeit through a small window. I have been here since February and have loved nearly every minute. In the beginning I HATED being criticised for my contributions but criticisms were generally constructive although often rather cutting. Now I only post an answ
... See more
I would agree with the comments of \'anonymous\' with one exception. Proz accounts for 0% of my income.

I love the forums and the tittle tattle but above all I love knowing that through proz. I feel I am in touch with the world albeit through a small window. I have been here since February and have loved nearly every minute. In the beginning I HATED being criticised for my contributions but criticisms were generally constructive although often rather cutting. Now I only post an answer or \'agree\' when I am absolutely sure! Proz. has built up my confidence within the field of translation. And you never know - one day I may get that contract!!!!!!!PS.

I am actually thinking of becoming \'Platinum\'
Collapse

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:56
Member (2005)
German to English
My reasons: Apr 19, 2002

Translation is usually a solitary occupation. Having a website like this, even without a \'chat\' feature, allows me to hear the thoughts, fears, opinions, etc., of other professionals in almost real-time.

Also allows me to put my concepts out there for approbation (or not) and get valuable (and some NOT so valuable) feedback.

I came originally for terminology help. Ev
... See more

Translation is usually a solitary occupation. Having a website like this, even without a \'chat\' feature, allows me to hear the thoughts, fears, opinions, etc., of other professionals in almost real-time.

Also allows me to put my concepts out there for approbation (or not) and get valuable (and some NOT so valuable) feedback.

I came originally for terminology help. Every once in a while, I hit something that needs a native speaker of the source language to sort out, and ProZ has helped me with that.

See #2

I rarely use Proz except for the terminology help. The WWW in general has provided me with enough resources. However, Proz does provide \'human\' contact in one common area: languages.

That\'s it for me.

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
A lonely profession? No way! Apr 19, 2002

For the same reason I am a member of several other translation-related forums: to keep in touch with what is going on in our profession.

When I first joined, I expected (and was led to believe) that this would be *the* place for professional translators. No such luck, as pretty much anyone can join. I\'d be thrilled if things would change (the main idea behind
... See more

For the same reason I am a member of several other translation-related forums: to keep in touch with what is going on in our profession.

When I first joined, I expected (and was led to believe) that this would be *the* place for professional translators. No such luck, as pretty much anyone can join. I\'d be thrilled if things would change (the main idea behind ProZ is a great one), but I think it now caters to the mediocre majority (intellectually and job-wise), and that\'s just not my niche.

I like the forums because I get to know people I like to keep in touch with as part of my network of colleagues. GMTA and all that.

I don\'t.

IMNSHO,I find KudoZ to be a time-wasting game. I really have too much work (and fun activities beyond the virtual world) to wade through all the mostly nonsensical questions and answers.

Incidentally, I do ask questions and offer help to others, but not through KudoZ (hooray for instant messaging).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 19:46 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
My 2 cents Apr 19, 2002

Quote:

1. As a professional translator, you really owe it to yourself to know what\'s going on in the industry.

2. See 1.

3. Not ... See more
Quote:

1. As a professional translator, you really owe it to yourself to know what\'s going on in the industry.

2. See 1.

3. Not through the job section, that\'s for sure. But I do get contacted by clients through my ProZ profile page quite frequently.

4. As Dyran said, not at all. I don\'t post KudoZ questions (my research skills are good enough to get all the answers I need by myself; plus, I only accept work I am qualified for).

In addition, I agree with most of what Dyran just wrote (\"mediocre majority\", etc.). ▲ Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
Werner, Apr 19, 2002

If this is not too personal: Why do you hang around the mediocre majority?

German to English
+ ...
Ask Dyran, it was her comment Apr 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-19 20:22, jacek wrote:

I could ask you the same question (????).

Besides, it\'s fun being part of a tiny minority

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 20:29 ]

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's like a law of nature Apr 19, 2002

Quote:

It\'d be hard not to. The world is full of them. (*)

(*) Nothing bad about that. Like I said, it\'s just not my niche.

[ This Message was edit... See more
Quote:

It\'d be hard not to. The world is full of them. (*)

(*) Nothing bad about that. Like I said, it\'s just not my niche.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-19 21:02 ]Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:56
English to Spanish
I see another flame war coming on the horizon... Apr 19, 2002

... so I\'ll take my mediocre majority butt somewhere else. So long.

Jacek Krankowski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
Roberta, Apr 19, 2002

Io, invece, mi son divertito! Altrimenti, immagina la barba... Grazie per averli svegliati! Passo e chiudo.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You and ProZ.com: What do you look for in ProZ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »