Jobs and Bids, Search Results, Empty Profiles - Support Requests
Thread poster: Marta Goc
Marta Goc
Marta Goc  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
Polish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2002

I would like to publicily answer three Support questions that came to ProZ.com support in the last week.

One was from an Outsourcer/Agency re: no responses to a job add placed, another one was re: Search for Pros results and the profile not being found by the search, finally third was a complaint re: not having good results with job bids.

To my surprise all three had one thing in common- ALL did not have ANY information in in their profiles. Why that hap
... See more
I would like to publicily answer three Support questions that came to ProZ.com support in the last week.

One was from an Outsourcer/Agency re: no responses to a job add placed, another one was re: Search for Pros results and the profile not being found by the search, finally third was a complaint re: not having good results with job bids.

To my surprise all three had one thing in common- ALL did not have ANY information in in their profiles. Why that happens I do not understand.

Here are the answers to those questions:

1. The quality of responses to job adds goes in pair with the quality of the add itself (rate information being available, link to Agency web site and Profile, Blue Board Results, etc). Just like an outsourcer/agency would not hire a translator without having some information about them, translators may and will hasitate to respond to an unknown Agency.

2. Search for Pros

I strongly recommend that everyone searches for translator in their language pair at least once. That way you can see how it works from the Agency perspective, how easy you are to find and how competitive is your presentation. If you would like to be found by your name or name of your company, you will need to include that information in your profile. By the way, the art and pictures inserted in some of the profiles are really cool and they do (my opinion) differntiate you from others.

3. Bids- I have not seen a single bid being awarded to a person with an empty profile. The number of empty profiles attached to bids is surprising. Your profile replaces your resume and it should be as complete as one. It is also very important to follow directions stated by the outsourcer/Agency.

The good news is that all three of these problems can be very easily fixed and it will not depend on our programming capacity! Please take a look at your profile, fix it if it needs it and entire ProZ community will benefit from it.

This solution will work. There are already Outsourcers/Agencies receiving many qualified bids, Freelencers are contacted directly by Outsourcers/Agencies regarding assignments and many translators completed assignments as a result of bidding on ProZ jobs ( I hope some of you will write to confirm that I am not making this up)!

Collapse

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's true Jun 12, 2002

Hi all!

I have indeed made new clients, with some really interesting, large, and well paid jobs!

I beleive it\'s just a matter of stick to it, and, like Rocky said, Keep punching!

So long

Rufino

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:16
German to English
Jobs through ProZ Jun 12, 2002

Over the last year or so that I have been a member I have had several jobs through ProZ bidding. Some have turned into long-term customers, some where only one-off. And out of the numerous jobs and clients I can only say that there was one with which _I_ was not happy (but I did get paid paid, even if it took a long time!). I have also been contacted directly by clients not wanting to go through the bidding system. So yes, there are jobs to be had through ProZ, even though I am very choosy.
<
... See more
Over the last year or so that I have been a member I have had several jobs through ProZ bidding. Some have turned into long-term customers, some where only one-off. And out of the numerous jobs and clients I can only say that there was one with which _I_ was not happy (but I did get paid paid, even if it took a long time!). I have also been contacted directly by clients not wanting to go through the bidding system. So yes, there are jobs to be had through ProZ, even though I am very choosy.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 07:29 ]
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 16:16
English
+ ...
Ghost Profiles Jun 12, 2002

I wonder if ProZ should not consider requiring a minimum of information from members. This would help solve more than one problem.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, True, I Agree.... Jun 12, 2002

Hi Marta,

There isn\'t much to add, apart from: yes, it is true and I agree. BTW, I have noticed that BB entries are \"improving\" on both sides: agencies tend to do something and provide feedback, when a negative grade is entered or colleagues add \"updates\" to their previous statements... The BB link (in case there is an entry)to the agency in postings make us use the BB and I see colleagues tend to grade agencies, therefore I think the BB is growing to an additional good
... See more
Hi Marta,

There isn\'t much to add, apart from: yes, it is true and I agree. BTW, I have noticed that BB entries are \"improving\" on both sides: agencies tend to do something and provide feedback, when a negative grade is entered or colleagues add \"updates\" to their previous statements... The BB link (in case there is an entry)to the agency in postings make us use the BB and I see colleagues tend to grade agencies, therefore I think the BB is growing to an additional good tool for all of us (IMO both for agencies and translators).

There are good and bad jobs in ProZ postings, well or badly paid, direct contacts with good or bad offers... we can still choose, nobody is forced to accept, but _there is_ business going on. I can only invite colleagues to add some data to their profiles: not much, what you like, but please, introduce yourselves to colleagues and potential clients, you _really_ never know (I didn\'t join for jobs, thought it could be nice to visit a translators\' site to keep informed and updated, but offers came and are coming, even though it doesn\'t mean I accept all offers or have increased substancially my business volume through ProZ. Still, I can see the \"seeds\" for future cooperation and the \"flowers\" of interesting contacts).

Have a nice day,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 13:00 ]
Collapse

asil
asil
Local time: 04:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I also agree Jun 12, 2002

Hi, everybody

I have been a non-paying \"member2 or \"associate\" to Proz for less than a year and I can say that it is, in fact, very good for me. I even got a job from a Japanese customer and he has kept sending some translations for the last 3-4 months (not big money, but reasonably ggod for a free membership). So, again, keep on upgrading profiles, bidding to jobs and, in the long or short run, it will pay off.

Regards,

Sergio Sánchez

Asil<
... See more
Hi, everybody

I have been a non-paying \"member2 or \"associate\" to Proz for less than a year and I can say that it is, in fact, very good for me. I even got a job from a Japanese customer and he has kept sending some translations for the last 3-4 months (not big money, but reasonably ggod for a free membership). So, again, keep on upgrading profiles, bidding to jobs and, in the long or short run, it will pay off.

Regards,

Sergio Sánchez

Asil

Collapse

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I don't receveive job postings Jun 17, 2002

Since some days, I don\'t receive job postings anymore. Does somebody encounter the same problem ?
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jobs and Bids, Search Results, Empty Profiles - Support Requests

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »