Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2002

but I am very suspicious of a non bidding posting that offers translation work for all languages, but does not include an E-mail address. The posting does include however a website address which includes an offer of 2,500 \"unique E mail addresses for translation agencies worldwide for the \"give away!!!!!\" price of $189.

A) If these people have over 2,500 contacts, why are they posting at ProZ?

B) Do they think that we have just came off of the last ba
... See more
but I am very suspicious of a non bidding posting that offers translation work for all languages, but does not include an E-mail address. The posting does include however a website address which includes an offer of 2,500 \"unique E mail addresses for translation agencies worldwide for the \"give away!!!!!\" price of $189.

B) Do they think that we have just came off of the last banana boat?

C) Or am I just being daft?
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Both B and C, David ;) Aug 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-08 11:21, dashgbr wrote:

A) If these people have over 2,500 contacts, w... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-08 11:21, dashgbr wrote:

B) Do they think that we have just came off of the last banana boat?

C) Or am I just being daft?

They hope to have 20.000 \'experienced translators\' in their database soon who\'ll then receive even more spam...

I sent him the following short note:

Your postings aren\'t particularly appreciated by many ProZ members and are apparently not about a job, but about selling your database

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-08 11:45 ]Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Let me guess Aug 8, 2002

Quote:

If these people have over 2,500 contacts, why are they posting at ProZ?

--------------

(1) To keep those 2,500 happy. Just imagine what will happen to the rates paid by the 2,500 once the newly recruited 20,000 start applying for jobs. Wrong! The rates offered to clients will not necessarily go down!

(2) To make a quick $189 themselves.

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Picaresque Aug 8, 2002

And nothing more...!
[addsig]

solos
solos
German to Dutch
+ ...
rewards Aug 9, 2002

So if we all reply to them with 3 imaginary email addresses they can quickly dump their database ( or try to clean it )

bart

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am suspicious of non-bidding postings offering work in all languages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »