[addsig]

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:10
Catalan to English
+ ...
so have I Sep 9, 2002

I am sure it can be done (technically) and I think it would be a great idea. It\'s often so difficult to decide between 2 (or even more) good answers.

Sheila

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 11:10
English to Italian
+ ...
It's a good idea, that's been discussed Sep 9, 2002

in several forum. My only concern is that it would add too much complexity and, perhaps, added incentives to quibbling...

ciao Arthur

paola l m

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:10
SITE FOUNDER
Not planning to do it, at least for now Sep 9, 2002

The pros and cons of point-splitting have been discussed, and for the time being, we feel that the cons outweigh the pros. We are keeping it in mind, though.

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 17:10
German to English
+ ...
fairness in awarding points is more important Sep 9, 2002

as still too often nationalism, regionalism and other discriminatory practices seems to be the deciding factor when 2 same answers are given. Or, as happened to me just a week ago: my answer was picked as the right one and entered as such into the glossary (giving the asker 10 Brownies to boot) but she awarded the KudoZ to the wrong or non-picked proposal!

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 23:10
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a Turkish saying that... Sep 9, 2002

...when something is stolen from you, it unburdens you of bad luck and you thank the thief with all your heart for s/he is carrying some of your burden from then on. Point favoritism has happened to all of us but the trouble is that we notice it best when we are on the losing end. So do I, in fact.
[addsig]

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not necessarily split, but be allowed to credit more than one? Sep 10, 2002

I think it would also have to do with circumstances.

I had a case way back where two people gave different responses, and both only answered part of my question.

In that particular case, I would have liked to have been able to give the points I felt the answers deserved, thus giving credit where credit was due - and also to have had the option to reject both answers, since neither really answered my query.

Instead of splitting poin
... See more
I think it would also have to do with circumstances.

I had a case way back where two people gave different responses, and both only answered part of my question.

In that particular case, I would have liked to have been able to give the points I felt the answers deserved, thus giving credit where credit was due - and also to have had the option to reject both answers, since neither really answered my query.

Instead of splitting points (or hairs? ), it would be nice, and perhaps more fair, to be able to grade all respondents. Then either pick one as the right answer, or decline all if you feel none really deserve being put in the glossaries.

Terry

Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 23:10
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Zero Option Sep 10, 2002

Yes, I\'ve seen questions where ALL the suggestions were off target. If the asker fails to choose a \"winner\", s/he looks nonchalant on the scoreboard: unfairly so!
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Point-splitting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »