Am I the only one experiencing technical difficulties with ProZ today?
Thread poster: Jennie Sherrick, MA
Jennie Sherrick, MA
Jennie Sherrick, MA
United States
Local time: 18:22
German to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2002

I don\'t see anything on the site status that says anything about problems with ProZ today, but 1) I have received I think 2 emails at most today from ProZ, 2) I entered a little over 30 terms into my ProZ glossary yesterday and now they are all gone, and 3) even the posting I wrote to this forum yesterday has vanished.

It appears to be only things that took place yesterday that are missing though. I also have noticed that there are only 2 terminology questions that have
... See more
I don\'t see anything on the site status that says anything about problems with ProZ today, but 1) I have received I think 2 emails at most today from ProZ, 2) I entered a little over 30 terms into my ProZ glossary yesterday and now they are all gone, and 3) even the posting I wrote to this forum yesterday has vanished.

It appears to be only things that took place yesterday that are missing though. I also have noticed that there are only 2 terminology questions that have been asked for my language pair today, when usually there are quite a number. But yet I haven\'t seen anyone write in to a forum about this yet nor is any information up on the site status. I\'m curious to see if this posting will even show up. I\'m just checking to see if anyone else is having problems, or if I\'m the only one?

Thanks,

Jennie Sherrick

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The problems were site-wide and affected everyone Nov 1, 2002

Jennie,

One of our main database servers was dropped (physically), and was damaged significantly.

At the time of the accident, it had been about 11 hours since our last backup. All data between the last backup and the dropping was lost. KudoZ, forums, glossaries, jobs/bids, all systems were affected. I apologize for the tremendous inconvenience caused to some users.

The problem is not yet resolved--we are operating on backup hardwar
... See more
Jennie,

One of our main database servers was dropped (physically), and was damaged significantly.

At the time of the accident, it had been about 11 hours since our last backup. All data between the last backup and the dropping was lost. KudoZ, forums, glossaries, jobs/bids, all systems were affected. I apologize for the tremendous inconvenience caused to some users.

The problem is not yet resolved--we are operating on backup hardware. We are hoping to have a stable system up again soon, but in the meantime there may be periodic outages.

Thanks for your patience and support!

Henry
Collapse

Jennie Sherrick, MA
Jennie Sherrick, MA
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your quick response Nov 1, 2002

And YIKES! I know you all are doing your best to resolve the problem. Just wanted to make sure it wasn\'t something going wrong on my end.

Good luck!!!

Jennie

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:22
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Question just for clarity, Henry... Nov 1, 2002

Will this mean that all data entered during the indicated period will be ***irretrievably*** lost?

Keep my fingers crossed though that you\'ll be able to sort it all out!!

Steffen

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-01 08:08 ]

Icing (X)
Icing (X)
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
Kudoz and Browniz Nov 1, 2002

solved (-:

[Edited at 2005-04-27 04:39]

Icing (X)
Icing (X)
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
solved (-: Nov 1, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-02 08:59 ]

[Edited at 2005-05-01 23:02]

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Henry for this update Nov 1, 2002

Oh my...Henry!!!

I\'m sorry this happened to you guys. If something like this happened to my systems I would not be alive to tell about it (I\'d have a heart attack!).

My thoughts are with you, and I hope the backup system will hold without too many hicups in the meantime.

Hang in there Henry!

I know you\'re doing all you can...

Nathalie

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Please provide some information on the main page Nov 1, 2002

While I sympathise with Henry and Co. in the current situation I feel that the least they could do is to provide regular updates on the situation on the main ProZ page. There hasn\'t even been information up to now under \"Site Status\".

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
VANITAS VANITATIS ET OMNIA VANITAS... Nov 2, 2002

.....THANKS A LOT ANYWAY...
[addsig]

jsl (X)
jsl (X)
Local time: 07:22
English to Japanese
+ ...
Re: Please provide some information on the main page Nov 2, 2002

I agree with Robert that you should provide some kind of system information on the top page or wherever.

Also, I can still see several errors even after the recovery (as of Nov. 2 0:50 PST). I am happy that ProZ is back, but I personally think that you can wait for a while until you confirm that the site is 100% properly functioning. I think you don\'t have to re-open it in the half-recovered (or half-unrecovered) condition.

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 06:22
English
+ ...
ST. Henry Will Come Thru Nov 2, 2002

As much as God will allow.

With grateful smiles from the spiritual pedestrians of PC server esoterica.

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
France
English to French
crash Nov 2, 2002

Well, it\'s not use complaining about Kudoz points....many prozers have lost data through that crash (Kudoz points, ....). All hardware may crash anytime (a server, a hard disk, a computer). You can\'t control everything. The recovery seems to be normal. Gradually, the system restarts. I think proz staff have done their best to solve that problem. A crash may still happen in the future and it\'s better to show solidarity and trust their troubleshooting skills.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bien dit... Nov 2, 2002

Quote:

I think proz staff have done their best to solve that problem. A crash may still happen in the future and it\'s better to show solidarity and trust their troubleshooting skills.

Well put indeed - merci, Gilles!

Linda Young (X)
Linda Young (X)
French to English
+ ...
I had a few hiccups Nov 2, 2002

Hi everyone,

I did have a few hiccups in the last 2 days, where I couldn\'t open Proz etc, but I am so glad that we have Henry and team behind these problems and I know all will sorted out. I must be honest, Proz is the first site that I open with my first cup of coffee, and when I cannot go onto this site, I feel as if I am missing a visit and support from a very good friend. Thanks to everyone who keeps Proz running.

Cheers

Linda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I the only one experiencing technical difficulties with ProZ today?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »