Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2002

A translator I know and respect (my father) once said that a dictionary is a reference for those who know. Dictionaries are made by people and \"errare humanum est\" and all that.

So the mere fact that some term is given in some dictionary is not proof positive that the term is correct.

I tend to reject bare references to dictionaries (without usage examples) out of hand.

As for KudoZ, the best documented answer is not necessarily t
... See more
A translator I know and respect (my father) once said that a dictionary is a reference for those who know. Dictionaries are made by people and \"errare humanum est\" and all that.

So the mere fact that some term is given in some dictionary is not proof positive that the term is correct.

I tend to reject bare references to dictionaries (without usage examples) out of hand.

As for KudoZ, the best documented answer is not necessarily the best answer, either. But such is the nature of the game that sometimes incorrect or clumsy answers get picked. One has to get used to that. I figure, askers get what they deserve if they lack the knowledge or the linguistic intuition to pick a good translation.

Regards

MT
Collapse

thierry2
thierry2
English to French
+ ...
exactly Nov 25, 2002

I totally agree.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! Nov 25, 2002

In http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=6580&forum=23 our colleague JCEC wrote a number on reasonable remarks about the kudoz system. In front of such cogitation there\'s not much left to do for most of us but agree. And what Michael says here regarding the asker\'s competence is as valid as John\'s points. It is true that participants are responsible for providing their best possible answ... See more
In http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=6580&forum=23 our colleague JCEC wrote a number on reasonable remarks about the kudoz system. In front of such cogitation there\'s not much left to do for most of us but agree. And what Michael says here regarding the asker\'s competence is as valid as John\'s points. It is true that participants are responsible for providing their best possible answers, but askers in the end are responsible for their translations. I\'m certain that, in spite of the race for kudoz points, all answers are as well-intentioned as they can be.

Elías Sauza

Collapse

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oops! Nov 25, 2002

Sorry. This was meant to go into JCEC\'s thread. I musta pressed the wrong link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation is not mechanical

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »