Off topic: Visitors log: Alma, Michigan calls in every day
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 15, 2007

Just curious: since about 2 months or so, my profile page is visited daily by someone, whose IP traces back to Alma Michigan and every day, he, she or it checks out my contact details and my KudoZ records. Search engine? Or a mysterious fan of mine? Anybody got clue?

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Feb 15, 2007

I've got an anonymous fan in Alma, Michigan too, Wolfgang. Hope it's not a translator stalker.

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Relax, Wolfgang... Feb 15, 2007

Good news: you haven't got a stalker
It's been happening to me too and lots of other people. It's called a crawler. There are other topics about it:

http://www.proz.com/topic/58344

Diana Wright
Diana Wright  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
That makes three of us Feb 15, 2007

I've got more than 30 visits from Alma, Michigan in the past few months. Personally, I think (hope!) it's a search engine.

Laura Pastondi
Laura Pastondi
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes Feb 15, 2007

Hello everybody,

It happens to me as well... I thought it was somebody from Proz management or a search engine...

It's very weird...

Have a nice day

Laura

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So it's just Google after all... Feb 15, 2007

and this topic will probably come up again from time to time. Let's hope it pays off in one way or another.

Cheers to all!
Wolfgang

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Feb 15, 2007

I have several visits from Alma, Michigan.

I also thought it was a staker but I am glad to hear it is not.

Regards,

Y

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:11
English to Polish
+ ...
Oh ... Feb 15, 2007

You know, they've been just searching for "best translator on Earth" and are unable to make the final decision ...

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Just now you got one from the Netherlands ;-) Feb 15, 2007

Yolanda Bello Olvera wrote:
I also thought it was a staker but I am glad to hear it is not.

I had to click on your foto. Can't help it.
Just another garden maniac. Going to all the profiles
in order to find a botanical treasure.;-)
Parece Edelweiss.
Saludos
Estefania

David Ryan Murúa
David Ryan Murúa
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about being ourselves? Feb 15, 2007

Hi,

I also have this regular visitor from Alma. At first, I thought, wow!, so far away and really interested in my profile, but then it got suspicously repetitive without any sort of contact..., so I have now come to the conclusion that it could be us, I mean every time you visit your profile, it counts as visit from Alma...

My two cents, but I really would like to know the real reason for it...

Regards

David

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is! Feb 16, 2007

Estefania,

It is Edelweiss

Wow! I am impressed.

Yolanda

iacta alea est
iacta alea est
Spain
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It´s ourselves. Paranoia is inherent to human nature : )) Feb 21, 2007

Ever since I joined Proz a few months ago my profile has been visited on a daily basis (very often more than once a day) by somebody based in Alma, Michigan. In fact, recently the visitors multiplied as I can count at least 3 IP addresses identified in this location. Since there are so many Proz users who have received numerous visits from this/ these ENTITIES, I am inclined to think the source of the visits is some sort of search engine. I doubt that there may be a physical person or a group o... See more
Ever since I joined Proz a few months ago my profile has been visited on a daily basis (very often more than once a day) by somebody based in Alma, Michigan. In fact, recently the visitors multiplied as I can count at least 3 IP addresses identified in this location. Since there are so many Proz users who have received numerous visits from this/ these ENTITIES, I am inclined to think the source of the visits is some sort of search engine. I doubt that there may be a physical person or a group of people who dedicate their time to visiting users´ profiles with no obvious reason or purpose. I log on to Proz.com every day, but sometime for a couple of minutes only so I cannot be defined as a very active member of the web-site. I agree that these visits could actually register our own logging-on to Proz, but through different servers (in my case, sometimes I log on while at work, also).

[Edited at 2007-02-21 20:52]
Collapse

Csaba Szenes
Csaba Szenes
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The best answer I have ever read!:) Apr 9, 2007

Iza Szczypka wrote:

You know, they've been just searching for "best translator on Earth" and are unable to make the final decision ...

It was so ingenious!:)
My site also has been visited so many times from Alma. It's interesting that the IP address is not the same at every visit...(but I have used different computers: a laptop, another one at my workplace, so it doesn't mean that I couldn't be this visitant..., probably it's true what David suggests)
By all means, before having found this topic I thought that I am the only one dealing with this mystery.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visitors log: Alma, Michigan calls in every day

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »