KudoZ: Lets provide real help (vs. copy & paste)
Thread poster: LQA Russian
LQA Russian
LQA Russian
Local time: 05:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2002

Dear fellow KudoZers,

Sometimes a question becomes flooded with lots of out-of-context / out-of-domain copy-paste quotations. If one just has a guess, should he or she refrain from posting all the findings from Google? I\'m afraid it adds more confusion and doesn\'t help the asker to choose the proper term. What do you think?

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
English to German
+ ...
I agree with you Dec 16, 2002

One shouldn\'t too heavily rely on google, the more, on google only. If you have only the pure GOOGLE text which you don\'t properly understand yourself since the area concerned is not your expertise - your \"help\", in most cases, would probably just add confusion for the asker.

One should, at least, be able to add some valuable input to the GOOGLE quotations, based on own opinions, hints or expanations.

Best regards to SPB, my favourite city. Hope to b
... See more
One shouldn\'t too heavily rely on google, the more, on google only. If you have only the pure GOOGLE text which you don\'t properly understand yourself since the area concerned is not your expertise - your \"help\", in most cases, would probably just add confusion for the asker.

One should, at least, be able to add some valuable input to the GOOGLE quotations, based on own opinions, hints or expanations.

Best regards to SPB, my favourite city. Hope to be there in September for the 300th anniversary.

Steffen

On 2002-12-16 11:30, vdv wrote:

Dear fellow KudoZers,

Sometimes a question becomes flooded with lots of out-of-context / out-of-domain copy-paste quotations. If one just has a guess, should he or she refrain from posting all the findings from Google? I\'m afraid it adds more confusion and doesn\'t help the asker to choose the proper term. What do you think?

[/quote]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-16 14:35 ]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Your references tell a lot about you Dec 16, 2002

Web pages, whether or not unearthed via search engines, can be valuable references - if you know what to look for and if you take the time to actually read what you have found.

Simply pasting an entire Google search (including \"traduzca esta página\", \"pages similaires\" etc.) is of course utterly useless.

Granted, there are questions so easy that the simplest Google search is sufficient to answer them: in such cases, I\'d prefer to answer \"just typ
... See more
Web pages, whether or not unearthed via search engines, can be valuable references - if you know what to look for and if you take the time to actually read what you have found.

Simply pasting an entire Google search (including \"traduzca esta página\", \"pages similaires\" etc.) is of course utterly useless.

Granted, there are questions so easy that the simplest Google search is sufficient to answer them: in such cases, I\'d prefer to answer \"just type X and Y into a search engine for confirmation\" instead of posting large amounts of Google garbage.

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
Just looking up a Google reference and pasting it does not make a translator Dec 21, 2002

who should first of all use his/her own experience and inspiration, at the risk of often being left out of KudoZ awards because a long \"pasted reference\" seems to some oh so impressive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: Lets provide real help (vs. copy & paste)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »