Squashing of KudoZ questions that should not be squashed
Thread poster: ejprotran
ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 14:33
English to Japanese
Dec 23, 2002

I just want to share the following story with you all, though I have already reported this incidence to the ProZ staff.

Recently I\'ve noticed that someone in the ENG-JPN pair keeps squashing the questions that I suggested my answers, even though all of those questions shouldn\'t be categorized into \"inappropriate questions\" that were listed on the page explaining \"Squashing.\" In fact, my answers were squashed so many times for the past several weeks even when some
... See more
I just want to share the following story with you all, though I have already reported this incidence to the ProZ staff.

Recently I\'ve noticed that someone in the ENG-JPN pair keeps squashing the questions that I suggested my answers, even though all of those questions shouldn\'t be categorized into \"inappropriate questions\" that were listed on the page explaining \"Squashing.\" In fact, my answers were squashed so many times for the past several weeks even when some of my peers \"agreed\" to my answers.

I\'m quite sure about who has been doing this to me, as one has to earn 500 points on KudoZ in order to be able to squash any questions. We don\'t have many people who have more than 500 points in the E-J pair. The person\'s act is extremely unprofessional given the fact that those questions don\'t even fit into any of the reasons defined in the page.

What\'s irritating to me is that the person has even tried to create another log-in name to just give me \"disagree\" before. I know that he was warned by ProZ\'s staff regarding his unprofessional conduct. To my surprise, he posted his own opinion in this forum about the other person who changed his name for a different circumstance a couple of months after \"the person\" cheated on KudoZ in the E-J pair. You can see how hypocritical he is. I remind you all that you don\'t want to trust someone with a higher academic degree just because he/she has earned high points on KudoZ.

I hope that the person will realize the immaturity of his act. If he continues doing this kind of immature act, I will disclose his name and personal information here in this board as well as tell both other professional organizations and agencies about what he has done to me on ProZ.

PS. Within the last 10 hours, TWO questions that I answered to in the E-J pair were unreasonably squashed by the person.

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-23 18:18]
Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, satnii Dec 23, 2002

First of all, you should find out who the \'squasher\' is (though I do not know myself the way to track the name, squashing is not anonymous).

Ask Henry or post the question here in the forum, as I\'m sure somebody can tell you how to read who has squashed a question and what reasons he she alleged.

Then, you can send a mail to this person if you discover your suspicions are right.

I understand how upset you must be at this situation.

HTH

Hidenori Nakamura
Hidenori Nakamura
English to Japanese
+ ...
–{“–‚Å‚·‚©H Dec 23, 2002

���͉p�ꂪ�ꍑ��ł͂Ȃ��̂ŁA���{��Ŏ��炢�����܂��B

satnii ����̂������ɂȂ�ꂽ���₪�����Ă��܂��Ă����̂́A�P�����قǑO�ł��傤���A�����������悤�Ɏ��͋L�����Ă��܂��B����A�����Ȃ��Ă�ȁA�ς��ȂƎv�����̂ł����A����҂����e�����������̂��낤�Ǝv���Ă��܂����B���̃��O�C���l�[���Ȃǂɂ‚��ẮA���ɂ͑S��������܂���B�����܂����B

�����p��|���{��̃y�A�ɏo���肳���Ē����Ă���̂ŁA�N���w���Ă���̂��A�����ɕ�����܂��B�����A���ꂾ���ɖ{���ɂ���
... See more

satnii ����̂������ɂȂ�ꂽ���₪�����Ă��܂��Ă����̂́A�P�����قǑO�ł��傤���A�����������悤�Ɏ��͋L�����Ă��܂��B����A�����Ȃ��Ă�ȁA�ς��ȂƎv�����̂ł����A����҂����e�����������̂��낤�Ǝv���Ă��܂����B���̃��O�C���l�[���Ȃǂɂ‚��ẮA���ɂ͑S��������܂���B�����܂����B

�����p��|���{��̃y�A�ɏo���肳���Ē����Ă���̂ŁA�N���w���Ă���̂��A�����ɕ�����܂��B�����A���ꂾ���ɖ{���ɂ��ꂪ�����ł���̂���m�肽���Ǝv���܂��B���C�������Ȃ���Ȃ��Œ��������̂ł����A��O�҂ɂ́A�{���ɔނ̍s�ׂł��邩���f����藧�Ă��S������܂���B��������Ȃ�΁A������������񋟂��ĉ������܂��悤�A���肢�������܂��B

�����A�s����܂��͑����̐l���{������f���‚ł́A���Ƃ������ł����Ă��A��肪�������˂Ȃ��Ƃ��v���܂��B�y���ł����B�l�I�ɂ͒m�肽���ł����E�E�E�B

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-23 06:32]
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 13:33
English
+ ...
It's funny how little points points actually show Dec 23, 2002

I\'m in the top 20 for Italian to English, yet would be incapable of translating anything but the simplest texts. All I can do is interpolate from context, a reasonable grasp of French and of course, context plus previous answers.

Still, I check out the questions because it\'s a free education that reminds me of the \"kitchen Italian\" spoken at home in my childhood.

The nice thing about KudoZ questions is that they\'re fund and it saddens me to hear of
... See more
I\'m in the top 20 for Italian to English, yet would be incapable of translating anything but the simplest texts. All I can do is interpolate from context, a reasonable grasp of French and of course, context plus previous answers.

Still, I check out the questions because it\'s a free education that reminds me of the \"kitchen Italian\" spoken at home in my childhood.

The nice thing about KudoZ questions is that they\'re fund and it saddens me to hear of people who inject more ego than necessary into collecting them.

Someone posted a quote in one of the forums here that goes something like: \"Find something to do that you love and you\'ll never have to work a single day in your life.\"

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:33
English to German
+ ...
Contact the moderator Dec 23, 2002

Hi.

Squashing can have several reasons; in any case, the person who squashed the questions was logged, and must have given a reason.

I could see one question that was taken out this morning, simply because it was a repetition of a term that\'s already in the KudoZ glossary (with \"Merry Christmas....\", that\'s not really a surprise, though).

I suggest you contact the moderator for ENG>JPN (there\'s a link at the end of each question), and ask
... See more
Hi.

Squashing can have several reasons; in any case, the person who squashed the questions was logged, and must have given a reason.

I could see one question that was taken out this morning, simply because it was a repetition of a term that\'s already in the KudoZ glossary (with \"Merry Christmas....\", that\'s not really a surprise, though).

I suggest you contact the moderator for ENG>JPN (there\'s a link at the end of each question), and ask him/her to have a look at it. To make it easier to find out what\'s going on, quote the URLs of a couple of questions that have disappeared.
Collapse

ejprotran
ejprotran
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
As you pointed out, Nakamura san... Dec 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-23 02:54, Nakamura wrote:

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-23 02:54, Nakamura wrote:

�����p��|���{��̃y�A�ɏo���肳���Ē����Ă���̂ŁA�N���w���Ă���̂��A�����ɕ�����܂��B�����A���ꂾ���ɖ{���ɂ��ꂪ�����ł���̂���m�肽���Ǝv���܂��B���C�������Ȃ���Ȃ��Œ��������̂ł����A��O�҂ɂ́A�{���ɔނ̍s�ׂł��邩���f����藧�Ă��S������܂���B��������Ȃ�΁A������������񋟂��ĉ������܂��悤�A���肢�������܂��B

�����A�s����܂��͑����̐l���{������f���‚ł́A���Ƃ������ł����Ă��A��肪�������˂Ȃ��Ƃ��v���܂��B�y���ł����B�l�I�ɂ͒m�肽���ł����E�E�E�B

[ This Message was edited byn2002-12-23 06:32]

It is true that the questions that I responded suddenly disappeared so many times since October or so. I believe that there must be other people who noticed it as you did.

I initially thought that the asker simply took his/her questions back for some reason. However, I was beginning to doubt if those squashing was intentionally done by the same person. It almost always happened to me when I was the first one to suggest answers to those questions.

I suppose that he holds a grudge against me as he assumed it was me who reported his creating his second log-in name to the ProZ staff. It also might be because I criticized \"his critique\" for the other peer who seemed to be a first-timer to KudoZ. Wherever you go, there is always a type of person who gets extremely upset when he/she is criticized. It often develops into a grudge over time.

If you would like to know the name of the person, you could email me. Anyway, I have decided not to disclose his name here in this board at this point, but will do so if the same things happen to me again.

Thank you for your input.

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-24 02:01] ▲ Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don´t like this procedure Dec 31, 2002

I don´t like this procedure. You either tell your truth or remain silent. Half-words about ¨a certain member who behaved badly¨ do no help the community.

And the menace to reveal the name of this member if he ¨does it again¨ doesn´t sound very professional to me.

I suggest you contact the pair moderator and give him/her your full story, names and URLs included.

Just a personal opinion.

Best regards,
... See more
I don´t like this procedure. You either tell your truth or remain silent. Half-words about ¨a certain member who behaved badly¨ do no help the community.

And the menace to reveal the name of this member if he ¨does it again¨ doesn´t sound very professional to me.

I suggest you contact the pair moderator and give him/her your full story, names and URLs included.

Just a personal opinion.

Best regards,

Enrique Cavalitto

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-01 17:07]
Collapse

ejprotran
ejprotran
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Yes or No? Jan 6, 2003

Dear Enrique,

I don\'t generally see things in an all-or-nothing manner, as the truth can be easily ignored by focusing on only two choices.

Sincerely,

satnii

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-06 17:40]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:33
English to German
+ ...
I repeat - contact the moderator Jan 6, 2003

As I pointed out before, the only proper way to resolve this is to contact the moderator for the language pair(s) concerned, or Proz.com staff directly.

The forum is neither the place for personal attacks (irrespective of whether there is any form of justification), nor for any threats.

If you have a problem, help site staff and moderator(s) to solve it. If you\'re unable or unwilling to supply the necessary information, I\'m afraid nobody will be
... See more
As I pointed out before, the only proper way to resolve this is to contact the moderator for the language pair(s) concerned, or Proz.com staff directly.

The forum is neither the place for personal attacks (irrespective of whether there is any form of justification), nor for any threats.

If you have a problem, help site staff and moderator(s) to solve it. If you\'re unable or unwilling to supply the necessary information, I\'m afraid nobody will be able to help you.
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
On shades and choices Jan 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-06 17:38, satnii wrote:

Dear Enrique,

I don\'t generally see things in an all-or-nothing manner, as the truth can be easily ignored by focusing on only two choices.

Sincerely,

satnii

Dear satnii,

I agree that the world is full of shades, and far from binary. Yet in this case I feel ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-06 17:38, satnii wrote:

Dear Enrique,

Sincerely,

satnii

Dear satnii,

I agree that the world is full of shades, and far from binary. Yet in this case I feel you should follow Ralph´s advice and put the case forward where it can be solved, or else keep it for yourself.

Doing otherwise casts a shadow on an unnominated member of your pair of languages, so nobody is mentioned but everyone could be a suspect.

Just a respectful personal opinion.

Have a great day,

Enrique

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Squashing of KudoZ questions that should not be squashed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »