Complaint regarding job posting requiring Indians for Spanish-to-English job
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2002

Deconstruction of Announcement

It\'s interesting that a recent posting that requires Indians for Spanish-to-English translation would be considered racist in the US. I guess they don\'t mean American Indians of either origin (Amerindians or Indian-born U.S. citizens)...

Imagine changing Indians to Afro-Americans...

Also, are the Indians that are being sought ones residing in India only? What about Indians who live outside India? No g
... See more
Deconstruction of Announcement

It\'s interesting that a recent posting that requires Indians for Spanish-to-English translation would be considered racist in the US. I guess they don\'t mean American Indians of either origin (Amerindians or Indian-born U.S. citizens)...

Imagine changing Indians to Afro-Americans...

Also, are the Indians that are being sought ones residing in India only? What about Indians who live outside India? No go, right?

I find the coding of this announcement interesting. We all know what it really means because here on Proz, we often extend a helping hand to those who actually do these translations...

Collapse

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think Tayfun's right, Jane Dec 26, 2002

The ad caught my attention as well, Jane, and I\'m afraid Tayfun is right on the mark --this person is looking for lower rates, which he\'ll most likely find in India than in many other countries.

Happy holidays!

Bill

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:10
English to German
+ ...
That's exactly what Jane meant, Dec 27, 2002

she just didn\'t spell it out. They are looking for cheap translators without actually saying so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complaint regarding job posting requiring Indians for Spanish-to-English job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »