715 words - too long for a test translation?
Thread poster: Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 19:40
German to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2003

With reference to the job posting under the url http://www.proz.com/job?id=30147, I applied for the job and was subsequently sent a test translation totalling 715 words on three pages. It looked liked a complete user manual for a medical product and I\'m now wondering, whether the company is not just looking for a free translation of this manual. Has anyone else replied to this? What do you think?

Michael Deliso
Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Klaus...it happened to me too.. I gota test for 2 not one test..one on contract law..and one omec Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 09:56, kaypeedee wrote:

With reference to the job posting under the url http://www.proz.com/job?id=30147, I applied for the job and was subsequently sent a test translation totalling 715 words on three pages. It looked liked a complete user manual for a medical product and I\'m now wondering, whether the company is not just lookin... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-07 09:56, kaypeedee wrote:

With reference to the job posting under the url http://www.proz.com/job?id=30147, I applied for the job and was subsequently sent a test translation totalling 715 words on three pages. It looked liked a complete user manual for a medical product and I\'m now wondering, whether the company is not just looking for a free translation of this manual. Has anyone else replied to this? What do you think?

Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Is long, but repetitive Jan 7, 2003

Hello Klaus,

I too received this test translation and I was also concerned about the length, however, after having taken a closer look at the document, it turned out to be quite repetitive.

Try to analyse it with your CAT tool and you might find out that there are quite some 100 to 80 % matches.

Regarding the \"free translation\" one might suspect because this seems to be a complete assembly instruction, I don\'t think the agency i
... See more
Hello Klaus,

I too received this test translation and I was also concerned about the length, however, after having taken a closer look at the document, it turned out to be quite repetitive.

Try to analyse it with your CAT tool and you might find out that there are quite some 100 to 80 % matches.

Regarding the \"free translation\" one might suspect because this seems to be a complete assembly instruction, I don\'t think the agency intends to get something for free. This seems to be only a small flyer that comes with replacement parts for a more complex device.

I doubt that any agency would put a lot of effort in gathering translators for one small job like this. At least, they would not send it out to more than one translator, and obviously they did.

Regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wrong forum... Jan 7, 2003

...this is not to say that the thread is unwelcome, irrelevant or inappropriate for the German forum, but (1) it\'s in English and (2) there\'s quite a few other threads on test translations.

So I\'m moving it...

Ralf

yamamoto
yamamoto
Local time: 02:40
English to Japanese
i did the test, too! Jan 7, 2003

I thought that 715 words was too long for a test translation, but i didn\'t have any jobs then so I did it anyway.

However, I told the agent that 715 word is too long.

I don\'t know whether it\'s true or not, but Here is their reply;

\"I understand that 715 is quite large for a test but this is what was set up by our client. They are very specific about who they want translating for them and because of the number of projects that they have, i
... See more
I thought that 715 words was too long for a test translation, but i didn\'t have any jobs then so I did it anyway.

However, I told the agent that 715 word is too long.

I don\'t know whether it\'s true or not, but Here is their reply;

\"I understand that 715 is quite large for a test but this is what was set up by our client. They are very specific about who they want translating for them and because of the number of projects that they have, it is understandable that they want the best person available. If I could have made the test any smaller, believe me, I would have because it would have been much easier on my end as well. \"

Collapse

wrtransco
wrtransco
Local time: 12:40
German to English
+ ...
Did any of you read KJIR's contract?? Jan 7, 2003

SECTION 9 INDEMNIFICATION: Translator shall indemnify KJIR and hold it harmless against all liability or loss, and against all claims or actions based upon or arising out of damage or injury to persons or property caused by the performance of the contract or by conditions created thereby. Specifically, Translator shall indemnify and hold KJIR harmless in any suit initiated against KJIR as a result of an inaccurate or unacceptable translation, and shall be liable for all costs, including, reasona... See more
SECTION 9 INDEMNIFICATION: Translator shall indemnify KJIR and hold it harmless against all liability or loss, and against all claims or actions based upon or arising out of damage or injury to persons or property caused by the performance of the contract or by conditions created thereby. Specifically, Translator shall indemnify and hold KJIR harmless in any suit initiated against KJIR as a result of an inaccurate or unacceptable translation, and shall be liable for all costs, including, reasonable attorneys fees, expended by KJIR in defense of such suit.

Who signs such contracts, I wonder?

Collapse

TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
I sent two emails to that outsourcer... Jan 8, 2003

The first email read: \"I am interested in receiving your sample text.\"

A few minutes later I sent out the next mail: \"I am no longer interested.\"

I wrote that second mail after I read the contract.

It became quite clear that the company would use the translation samples for their work - otherwise it would be needless to have an applicant sign that contract PRIOR TO establishing a proper business relation.

\"Hands off\"
... See more
The first email read: \"I am interested in receiving your sample text.\"

A few minutes later I sent out the next mail: \"I am no longer interested.\"

I wrote that second mail after I read the contract.

It became quite clear that the company would use the translation samples for their work - otherwise it would be needless to have an applicant sign that contract PRIOR TO establishing a proper business relation.

\"Hands off\" was all I could think of.

By the way: Recently there was a discussion right here dealing with the same matter (and the same company); just have a look (I don\'t remember the title, I regret).

Jörn...
Collapse

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 19:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, all.... Jan 8, 2003

I think I\'ve made my mind up, especially after what Mag RaWa and Jörn have written...if I was really hard-up for work, I\'d give it a shot, but this isn\'t the case right now (and hopefully not in the future...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

715 words - too long for a test translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »