Off topic: Translation contest? Amazing that, whoever is organizing the contest, can speak all the languages
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 13, 2007

How the judges "work"? I find it amazing that, whoever is organizing (and judging) the contest, can speak all these languages and be able to choose a winner. Congrats to all being able to do that!!!!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The point Jul 13, 2007

Hi, Rad

Are you trying to make a critic about the contest generally speaking or about the criteria used to determine the winner?

I participated in the 1st one but certainly not in ll the languages. I suppose judges can speak some languages, not al, of course. I suppose there are more than 2 judges.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:33
Spanish
+ ...
Did I miss something? Jul 13, 2007

6. On what basis are the winners determined?

Winners are decided on the basis of voting by peers.

7. What is the voting process?

Voting is done separately for each language pair. Depending on the number of entries, there are one or two rounds of voting.

In "qualifying rounds" of voting, held only in pairs that receive a large number of entries, voters are asked to separate, on an entry by entry basis, the submissions that they feel have a chance to win from those that are clearly outclassed. This qualification process serves to reduce the field of entries to a manageable number that can be compared carefully in the final round of voting.

In "final round" voting, voters are asked to select the entry that they consider the best of the group. Second and third best entries may also be designated, with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (2), two (2) and one (1), respectively. The entry that collects the most points in final round voting, wins.

8. Who can vote?

Voting on a given entry is restricted to members who list the language pair of that entry among the working or interest pairs in their profile.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:33
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
More than amazing Jul 13, 2007

Hi Rad,

Please, take a little bit of consideration with the person in charge of the organization of this contest.
She is a hard-working woman, ready to attend people from all over the world, and always open to change and improvement.
It has been a long way ever since she organized the first contest months ago. She has listened (and read) suggestions from every possible part.
This time, the voting criteria tried to include the most wide spectrum of languages possibl
... See more
Hi Rad,

Please, take a little bit of consideration with the person in charge of the organization of this contest.
She is a hard-working woman, ready to attend people from all over the world, and always open to change and improvement.
It has been a long way ever since she organized the first contest months ago. She has listened (and read) suggestions from every possible part.
This time, the voting criteria tried to include the most wide spectrum of languages possible - just a question of covering very diverse language communities.
As a matter of fact: this lady doesn't need to speak all those languages - she just needs our respect and gratitude.

Thanks Florencia for enduring!

[Edited at 2007-07-13 03:37]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fairness Jul 13, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

8. Who can vote?

Voting on a given entry is restricted to members who list the language pair of that entry among the working or interest pairs in their profile.

Exactly, everybody can vote if he/she wishes.
A user can vote one time, and just in his/her pairs.
A user can not vote by his/her translation.

As a matter of fact, these voting procedures are far better than many of the internet magazine polls wherein everybody can vote many times

I voted in the two first contests and didn't see anything wrong.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
not the same person Jul 13, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

How the judges "work"? I find it amazing that, whoever is organizing (and judging) the contest, can speak all these languages and be able to choose a winner.

Don't worry. The organizer is one person. We, the translators community, are the judges in our working pair of languages.

Regards

Clarisa

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:33
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Whose "fault" is it then? Jul 13, 2007

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
The organizer is one person. We, the translators community, are the judges in our working pair of languages.

You're 100% right, Clarisa.
So if there's someone uneasy with the winners... then that person had better beware, because... it's the "fault" of all of us, free voters in the contest!

[Edited at 2007-07-13 05:28]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:33
SITE FOUNDER
Judging is done by peers Jul 13, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

How the judges "work"? I find it amazing that, whoever is organizing (and judging) the contest, can speak all these languages and be able to choose a winner. Congrats to all being able to do that!!!!

Right, the idea is that each winners is decided by peers working in the pair. Thanks for your question, which I assume was sincere!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Expected more netiquette from a Mod Jul 13, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:

So if there's someone uneasy with the winners... then that person had better shut up, because... it's the "fault" of all of us, free voters in the contest!

"... had better shut up ..." ???

I realise English is not your native language but, especially as a Mod, could we have a little more in the way of netiquette please?

PS: Thank you for editing your post

[Edited at 2007-07-13 05:51]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic... Jul 13, 2007

... to the forum Proz.com Translator Coop.

Please folks, we don't speak translation in the Off Topic forum now, do we?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation contest? Amazing that, whoever is organizing the contest, can speak all the languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »