ProZ.com in Catalan, Vietnamese, Czech, Tamil, and Afrikaans
Thread poster: Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 04:13
SITE STAFF
Jul 13, 2007

Dear ProZians,

We are excited to announce that ProZ.com is now available in Catalan, Vietnamese, Czech, Tamil, and Afrikaans.

This wonderful accomplishment is credited to the following teams:

Catalan: Dolores Carmona, Berni Armstrong, Laura Calvo Valdivielso, Rosa Diez Tagarro, Sol Hurtado, and Alfonso Perpiña-Robert Navarro

You may view the Catalan version by clicking on the following
... See more
Dear ProZians,

We are excited to announce that ProZ.com is now available in Catalan, Vietnamese, Czech, Tamil, and Afrikaans.

This wonderful accomplishment is credited to the following teams:

Catalan: Dolores Carmona, Berni Armstrong, Laura Calvo Valdivielso, Rosa Diez Tagarro, Sol Hurtado, and Alfonso Perpiña-Robert Navarro

You may view the Catalan version by clicking on the following link: http://cat.proz.com

Vietnamese: Cromie Thailai Translation & Language Solutions and Chinh Chu

You may view the Vietnamese version by clicking on the following link: http://vie.proz.com

Czech: Marek Buchtel, Hynek Palatin, Pavel Blann, Milan Condak, Josef Vesely, Marcela Hashim, and Tomas Burda

You may view the Czech version by clicking on the following link: http://ces.proz.com

Tamil: KPonnan, Narasimhan Raghavan and Guna (gns)

You may view the Tamil version by clicking on the following link: http://tam.proz.com

Afrikaans: Samuel Murray

You may view the Afrikaans version by clicking on the following link: http://afr.proz.com

To view all of the ProZ.com localization teams, please visit the following link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=localization&sp_mode=team

When working on the newly localized interface, you will find a link to the localization team leaders' and volunteers' profiles at the bottom of every page. You are kindly invited to provide feedback about the localization directly to the localization team leader.

We again want to thank the localization teams for this achievement.

Regards,
Patrick
Collapse

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
. Jul 13, 2007

heerlik om te sien dat Afrikaans 'n plek gevind het op Proz!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
One man for Afrikaans? Jul 13, 2007

Do you mean to say that Samuel Murray did all the work alone?
I bow to you, Samuel, my respect!

Muriel Fuchs
Muriel Fuchs
German to French
Wow! Jul 13, 2007

Too bad I don't speak any of those languages...

Congratulations to the localization teams and welcome to the "new communities".

Muriel

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
German to English
Congratulations and well done... Jul 14, 2007

....especially to KPonnan, Narasimhan and Guna for the translation into Tamil. We can finally view ProZ.com in an Indian language!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It was really a gratifying work Jul 14, 2007

Especially translating into mother tongue. Fact is, I have translated thousands of French and German pages into English and vice versa. But for translating into Tamil my hands were tied as there was no way I could type in Tamil. Now that the software ekalappai has come, it is child's play to type Uicode Tamil. Now I am doing Tamil texts with a vengeance and this localization work came along as a boon.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Congratulations Jul 14, 2007

to all of you. I'm glad with you now you enjoy this favourite site in your hard to overestimate mother tongue!

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-07-14 09:04]

Kaliamma Ponnan
Kaliamma Ponnan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 16:13
English to Tamil
+ ...
Proz in Tamil Jul 14, 2007

Thanks Niraja for your kind words. It is a wonderful experience translating everything into one's own language.

I also have to mention here that my team is far from being satisfied with our work hence we are still trying to improve in whatever way possible. Any suggestions or comments are always welcome - anything at all that will make the Tamil pages better.

K. Ponnan

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:13
Vietnamese
+ ...
Well well well Jul 15, 2007

Happy to see this in Vietnamese language. Congratulation to the world of freelancers, and Chinh Chu.

Anyway, some Vitenamese words on the webpage at the link is needed to be amended.

http://vie.proz.com/

I beleive that the Vietnamese on webpage should be better.

L. Phong

[Edited at 2007-07-15 01:06]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:13
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Contact Chinh Chu Jul 15, 2007

Phong Le wrote:
Happy to see this in Vietnamese language. Congratulation to the world of freelancers, and Chinh Chu.
Anyway, some Vitenamese words on the webpage at the link is needed to be amended.
http://vie.proz.com/
I beleive that the Vietnamese on webpage should be better.

Thanks Phong for posting your opinion.
Please, be so kind and write to Chinh Chu in order to give him feedback - the best thing that can happen, is to have feedback from fellow Vietnamese-speakers.
Regards from Montevideo,
Fabio

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:13
Vietnamese
+ ...
Yes, Mod Jul 17, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:
Thanks Phong for posting your opinion.
Please, be so kind and write to Chinh Chu in order to give him feedback - the best thing that can happen, is to have feedback from fellow Vietnamese-speakers.
Regards from Montevideo,
Fabio

Thanks Fabio, a Mod from Uruguay .

I wrote Chinh Chu as advised.

L. Phong

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Reply to Margreet Jul 17, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:
Do you mean to say that Samuel Murray did all the work alone?

Well, several other people did show an interest, and two of them actually downloaded one or two files, but they were unable to translate any of it owing to various valid reasons.

I think the feat is perhaps less awesome if you take into account that I probably didn't have many of the problems that teams from other small languages may have had.

The ProZ.com l10n text contains quite a number of repetitions and fuzzy matches, and the source text is in a format which was quite easily managed by my CAT tool (Wordfast). Furthermore, I am in the fortunate position that Afrikaans does have existing established computer terminology (I had to create very few new words), and Afrikaans is socio-semantically and syntactically reasonably similar to English.

There are still a few files to be translated, and some proofreading still has to be done as well.

I would encourage Afrikaans speakers to join the l10n team and help finish the job. The proofreading can be done online, directly in your browser, and although it is best to do translations offline (using translation memory that I can supply), the translations can also be done simply and online.

[Edited at 2007-07-17 15:48]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Samuel, you still have my respect. Jul 17, 2007

Congratulations on the accomplishment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com in Catalan, Vietnamese, Czech, Tamil, and Afrikaans

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »