Team rules - who makes them?
Thread poster: Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2003

Who makes the rules for a team? Are there any proz.com mandatory rules for teams? How do others team leaders manage their teams? I formed a team today and I\'m not very sure about what I am supposed to do.

Thanks a lot.

Veronica

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It's up to you how your team works Apr 10, 2003

I think it\'s important to agree on who\'s the leader, and this leader will have the responsability of centralizing all the communication with clients.

Then, all the members of the team must agree on how to share the work.

In my team we are all independant until there\'s a big project, and we work together just in that case or when we are overloaded.

You must have an idea of what you\'re expecting from it if you created a team. Which languages
... See more
I think it\'s important to agree on who\'s the leader, and this leader will have the responsability of centralizing all the communication with clients.

Then, all the members of the team must agree on how to share the work.

In my team we are all independant until there\'s a big project, and we work together just in that case or when we are overloaded.

You must have an idea of what you\'re expecting from it if you created a team. Which languages and how many people.

I know that maybe what I\'m saying is evident, if it\'s not what you\'re asking for, forgive me.

Veronica: I can\'t see your team at your profile.

[ This Message was edited by: c.iglesias on 2003-04-10 22:28]
Collapse

Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, Claudia Apr 10, 2003

You answered my question. The point was that I wasn\'t sure about how much I was allowed to ask from the team members (for example: if the team placed a bid, should a team member be allowed to place another bid on his/her own? how should a bid winner in a team be compensated?). But I guess it\'s just up to all of the team members to make the rules.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Veronica

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Common sense Apr 10, 2003

Teams come in handy when something like 50,000 words come up for a 3-day turnover (i.e., you don\'t ALWAYS work with a team).

When a big job comes, it\'s a point in your favor to be able to say, I have (so many) partners, we can split it.

Uniform rates make it easier for the outsourcer to cost (although some may deal directly with individual team members). For my part, I find separate invoices preferable and more transparent (unless one of us serves as c
... See more
Teams come in handy when something like 50,000 words come up for a 3-day turnover (i.e., you don\'t ALWAYS work with a team).

When a big job comes, it\'s a point in your favor to be able to say, I have (so many) partners, we can split it.

Uniform rates make it easier for the outsourcer to cost (although some may deal directly with individual team members). For my part, I find separate invoices preferable and more transparent (unless one of us serves as coordinator).

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Team rules - who makes them?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »