Name Search posting
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 00:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2002

I have just written a message to namesearch@wintranslation.com asking that the competition be kept on the Proz.com site for reasons of transparency and accountability, in light of the recent ScriptTranslations (EN-IT) scam.

I informed the client that bids are confidential, nobody can see what the other translators propose, and we would know whether there has been a winner or not.

Perhaps I am too skeptical but since we have the site, I don\'t see why we should send them a separate message.

Let me know what you think

paola l m

Direct link Reply with quote

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:51
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Taking advantage of translators Jan 9, 2002

Hello Poalo,

I just got a reply from namesearch@wintranslation. They are really trying to take advantage of translators. Finding brandnames is a very lucrative business, but it involves a lot of research too, if you want to be serious and not just playing lottery. I have had such assignments in the past, and a success fee is acceptable. But the fee agencies charge are appr. 1000 to 5000 $ or more. See my point? And I don\'t think you can come up something without knowing the company and the product very well. Let them try, but let\'s be realistic about this. Without briefing, proposals would simplybe like looking at a crystal ball.

Here is my proposal and the answer I got immediately:

Maya,

I cannot change our offer and conditions that are listed on Proz.

Huiping

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 4:23 PM

To: namesearch@wintranslation.com

Subject:

Hello,

I read you posting on proZ.This could be a very nice assignment and a lot of fun too. I am ready to bid and to accept a success fee if:

You provide me with a extensive documentation of your client

You tell me if you want a name acceptable to all the languages mentioned, easy to pronounce, except Japanese. (no idea about that, wrote about Rolex a few years ago who looked for a name, choose Rolex and it turned out to be Lolex in Japanese. Anyway, the watch is a big success in Japan despite the name).

You send me a written agreement that I will be paid $500 in case of success. That\'s a small fee for such an assignment. (I know what I am talking about.)

Otherwise, I just wish you good luck.

Greetings

Maya

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
English to Russian
+ ...
probably i missed smth Jan 10, 2002

I probably missed smth with that \'name search posting\', dear Paola, \'cause I do not see the reason why they can not post the message they\'ve posted.

For me it\'s the same as the job posting. The bids are private, ok, but they are to decide anyway. They can cheat, it is possible, but, they could ask for the same thing for free.

Personally I wouldn\'t mind to give them a variant anyway.

Well, as I said, i probably missed smth there.

Very best from Vancouver,

(+10 we have here tohignt!)

Vladimir

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I speak from experience too... Jan 10, 2002

In the past I have done language analysis of brand names for clients and I was paid a flat fee to do something very simple, i.e. check whether the new name may remind people of other products, may carry negative or vulgar connotations, and whether it sounds pleasant to a native year. I was never asked to FIND the name! There are marketing people who are paid a lot of bucks for finding new brandnames. From our profiles they could easily find somebody with the marketing and creative background.

Also, who assures us that somebody will win?

Also, we have been burned by ScriptTranslations in the EN-IT subcommunity, this is why this kind of postings make me very suspicious.

paola l m

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
FINDING it - that's the problem Jan 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-10 19:48, ludovici wrote:

In the past I have done language analysis of brand names for clients and I was paid a flat fee to do something very simple, i.e. check whether the new name may remind people of other products, may carry negative or vulgar connotations, and whether it sounds pleasant to a native year. I was never asked to FIND the name! There are marketing people who are paid a lot of bucks for finding new brandnames. From our profiles they could easily find somebody with the marketing and creative background.

Also, who assures us that somebody will win?

Also, we have been burned by ScriptTranslations in the EN-IT subcommunity, this is why this kind of postings make me very suspicious.

paola l m

You are right: making sure that a product name does not have any vulgar connotations is one thing; finding a name and checking its availability is the responsibility of corporate lawyers, not translators! My advice: stay away from that agency (they have posted ludicrous offers before).

Klaus Dorn
Local time: 08:51
German to English
+ ...
Maybe I'm blue-eyed, BUT Jan 10, 2002

I have replied to that agency more or less immediately with what I thought was a brilliant idea for a name, I even checked whether the domain name is available and it was.

Later, I had a nice email exchange with Huiping, who promised me Henry at ProZ would make an announcement of the name found when they have decided.

Furthermore, being against money-making, globalisation and similar, I fully support the fact that they are not tasking a major marketing agency with the job, therefore making someone earn themselves a golden nose in the process.

If it\'s a software that is for translators, then it\'s best for the name to come from translators, besides, the $125 would finance my going platinum on ProZ. Wouldn\'t that be nice?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
stay away... Jan 10, 2002

it\'s a ludicrous proposition and a very cheap one.

GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name Search posting

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs