Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Seeking feedback on new rates format
Thread poster: Jason Grimes

Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:13
SITE STAFF
Apr 18, 2008

Hi everyone,

ProZ.com is working on improving the way rates can be entered and displayed in profiles. The goal is for the new rates system to more accurately reflect the way translators describe their real-world rates to their customers. New features will include:

* Different rates for different services, language pairs, and fields of expertise
* Specifying rates as a range or as a single amount
* Surcharges and discounts
* Minimum charges
* Different rate lists for different types of customer (agencies or end clients)

A beta version of a tool for entering and displaying rates in this new format is available for review. The new rate data is stored in an entirely different place than your existing rate data, so you can experiment freely. (Please note that before the system is put into production we plan to purge any rate data entered now for testing.) Rates you enter using this tool will be visible only to you--in the future, we will provide the option to show these new rates to others, depending on your preferences.

Click here to try out the new rates system.

To get started, you might want to import your rates from the old system (by clicking "Import old rates data" in the yellow box at the top of the page). As you experiment, please note how accurately and how easily this new system allows you to describe your own rate tables, and let us know what you think.

I thank the moderators who spent many months discussing potential improvements to the rate system, and who tested several previous versions of this interface.

If you have any feedback of your own to share, please do so by posting below. Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Jason

Direct link

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
"You do not appear to be authorized to access this page" Apr 18, 2008

I clicked on the link, but I only got a warning message: "You do not appear to be authorized to access this page".

Difficult to try out the new features, this way...

Direct link

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You do not appear to be authorized to access this page Apr 18, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I clicked on the link, but I only got a warning message: "You do not appear to be authorized to access this page".

Difficult to try out the new features, this way...

Me too. I get the same message.

Direct link

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You should be able to access it now Apr 18, 2008

Access should be available now, sorry about that. Please let me know if the problem persists.

Best regards,

Jason

Direct link

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
so so Apr 18, 2008

yes, I have access now, but only to the first page.

If I click Service | Language | Field (any of them) I don`t get any response and the sign of ERROR pops up.

Direct link

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fields are overwritten Apr 18, 2008

Hi Jason,

I´m trying to enter my rates for different fields and services.
I entered translation rates for three fields, but when I entered my editing/proofreading rates for these same fields the translation rates disappeared, or were overwritten by the editing rates.
Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Marina

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:13
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is happening to me too Apr 18, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi Marina,

probably it's a bug, it is happening to me too.
I have alerted the programmers, but they are surely monitoring this thread.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-04-18 20:48]

Direct link

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Add rate to list Apr 18, 2008

Thanks Gianfranco,

I added a translation rate in the first box. Then, I clicked on the add a rate to the list link and chose editiong/proofreading, language pair (same as for the translation rate), field (same as the translation rate) and click on add. The rate for translation was replaced by the editing rate.

So, may be something is going wrong.
When the field is not the same for the translation and proofreading rates, the information is added to the list.

I tried clicking on "add a rate" in the first box, but the same happens. When the field and language pair are the same, the translation rate dissappears.

Marina

[Edited at 2008-04-18 20:49]

Direct link

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Walter, what error do you receive Apr 18, 2008

Walter Landesman wrote:
If I click Service | Language | Field (any of them) I don`t get any response and the sign of ERROR pops up.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for reporting this glitch, we are looking into it. Exactly what error message do you receive?

Thanks,

Jason

Direct link

Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Marina. We'll fix it Apr 18, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:
I´m trying to enter my rates for different fields and services.
I entered translation rates for three fields, but when I entered my editing/proofreading rates for these same fields the translation rates disappeared, or were overwritten by the editing rates.

Hi, Marina. You're not doing anything wrong. We've replicated this problem and will get it fixed shortly. Thanks for the bug report.

Best regards,

Jason

Direct link

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing happens Apr 18, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

Walter Landesman wrote:

Exactly what error message do you receive?

When I click on Standard rates
Service |
Language |
Field
Add a rate to the list
Surcharges and discounts
Add a surcharge or discount to the list
Minimum charge

or whatever, any link on the page, nothing happens.

There is an IE sign of Error at the bottom left of the page (error en la página).
Pop-ups are allowed, just in case you were going to mention that.

Direct link

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Errors Apr 18, 2008

Tried to save after entering a rate. What I got was

Code:
...removed...

Also,

The links for surchanges and discounts, and for adding a minimum charge do not seem to work.

Direct link

Andrew
United States
English
Links fixed and overwriting behaviour corrected. Apr 18, 2008

Hello everyone,

Walter and Riccardo, the links for adding surcharges, discounts, and minimum charges should now functions as expected. The "Group by:" links should also work properly.

Marina, rates for different services should no longer overwrite your previously entered data.

Also note that if you enter a new rate, surcharge, discount, or minimum charge with details that match a record you've already specified, these existing records will be updated with the new amount you've entered. We'll be adding a message on the page that informs you when this type of thing happens.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Best Regards,
Andrew

Direct link

Andrew
United States
English
Posted as test account Apr 18, 2008

Oops!

Sorry everyone, I posted as a test account. Please disregard the strange email notification if you happened to receive one.

Best Regards,
Andrew

Direct link

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everything OK! Apr 18, 2008

Hi Staff members,

I´ve managed to enter rates for all the services I provide and sort them by language, field and service.
I´ve also entered surcharged and minimum rates.
So far, so good.
Regards,
Marina

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking feedback on new rates format

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs