Thread poster: Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 16, 2002

Question asked at 8:34, question graded at 8:38: check the Italian>English questions today.

This problem has arisen before and I have learned that when I ask questions, it\'s best to wait at least a day before grading. You get much more input and generate discussion that ultimately benefits your translation.

In this particular case, grading four minutes after posting means cutting out people who contributed their time to thinking about the question, cross-referencing and then
... See more
Question asked at 8:34, question graded at 8:38: check the Italian>English questions today.

This problem has arisen before and I have learned that when I ask questions, it\'s best to wait at least a day before grading. You get much more input and generate discussion that ultimately benefits your translation.

In this particular case, grading four minutes after posting means cutting out people who contributed their time to thinking about the question, cross-referencing and then offering ideas.

If grading is done too fast, the next time people might not bother to post suggestions. The one answer will obviously do -- right or wrong.
Collapse

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 04:13
German to English
+ ...
absolutely! Jan 16, 2002

Yes, the fast grading is a disease, I think, ProZ could introduce some sort of time interval before the asker has the link \"choose an answer\" available. It is not a fair competition if you can\'t answer within a few minutes, especially if several postings have been made in a short space of time and one would like to answer all of them. Searching for answers and finding good on-line references on the internet takes time, but it\'s worth it in the long run, both for the asker and the person repl... See more
Yes, the fast grading is a disease, I think, ProZ could introduce some sort of time interval before the asker has the link \"choose an answer\" available. It is not a fair competition if you can\'t answer within a few minutes, especially if several postings have been made in a short space of time and one would like to answer all of them. Searching for answers and finding good on-line references on the internet takes time, but it\'s worth it in the long run, both for the asker and the person replying.Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
GRADING TOO QUICKLY Jan 17, 2002

Yes, I agree with you. Many times I have gone to the Kudoz site to answer a question, only to find out that the winner had already been chosen, sometimes with only one answer. There may be exceptional cases in which the answer to the question is so clear that it leaves no doubt, but many times you deprive good translators from giving their input and you lose the chance of getting a still better answer.

When I am not completely satisfied with the fist answers, I generally wait at leas
... See more
Yes, I agree with you. Many times I have gone to the Kudoz site to answer a question, only to find out that the winner had already been chosen, sometimes with only one answer. There may be exceptional cases in which the answer to the question is so clear that it leaves no doubt, but many times you deprive good translators from giving their input and you lose the chance of getting a still better answer.

When I am not completely satisfied with the fist answers, I generally wait at least one day before deciding who gets the Kudoz.

Robert Ingledew

English-Spanish-English Technical Translator
Collapse

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
GRADING TOO QUICKLY - you are right Jan 17, 2002

When I am not completely satisfied with the fist answers, I generally wait at leas
... See more

When I am not completely satisfied with the fist answers, I generally wait at least one day before deciding who gets the Kudoz.

Robert Ingledew

English-Spanish-English Technical Translator
Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
Grading for KudoZ Points Jan 17, 2002

In my opinion there should be a change in this system of grading itself. How can a person who doesn\'t know the meaning of a term can grade the answers given by the professionals?

And while one gets 3 BrowniZ for agreeing/disagreeing, other professionals who took pain to find alternative answers do not get anything!!

My suggestions are

1) Grading should be done based on Agree/Disagree votes by the professionals of that language pairs
... See more
In my opinion there should be a change in this system of grading itself. How can a person who doesn\'t know the meaning of a term can grade the answers given by the professionals?

And while one gets 3 BrowniZ for agreeing/disagreeing, other professionals who took pain to find alternative answers do not get anything!!

My suggestions are

1) Grading should be done based on Agree/Disagree votes by the professionals of that language pairs. +1 vote for the Agree, -1 for the disagree. After 2 weeks whoever gets maximum will win 4 KudoZs. If there is a tie, divide the points.

2) Other professionals (losers!?)who answered but were not selected by the peers, should get 3 BrowniZ points for their efforts.

Collapse

Paola Guzzetta
Paola Guzzetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:13
English to Italian
+ ...
grading your answers Jan 17, 2002

i agree with you. when i have to grade my open questions i generally wait, because i do not take nothing for granted. i cross-check all possible solutions and see what best fits my text. however not everybody likes this and i got \"scolded\" for not grading after just two or three days. i do hope there could be a change in attitude in this respect.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
French to English
+ ...
Completely agree Jan 17, 2002

I know that the factor of grading too

quickly has stopped me replying to certain

requests. And in general, with replies to

my own questions, I\'ve found that the most

helpful replies haven\'t necessarily been

the ones posted three minutes after I

asked the question.

[addsig]

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
French to English
Agreed Jan 17, 2002

I agree with you completely. I\'ve experienced it from both sides (I\'ve graded too quickly only to receive helpful suggestions after, and I\'ve also thought about questions that I wanted to answer and found that the answer had already been graded).

Sometimes we\'re rushed because of the deadline, so we take the first most appropriate suggestion. I can understand your surprise, though, at a grade given 4 minutes after the question is posted!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grading too quickly

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »