Thread poster: Irina Popova
Irina Popova
Irina Popova  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2002

What would you think of a person, who has agreed with 6 or 7 different answers given to a KudoZ quiestion? Moreover, the question concerns a language, which is not specified in this person\'s profile as working language.

Moreover, this person is jumping from one language pair to another and continues to agree with everything...

It seems to me that the guy is simply building up his reserves of BrowniZ points - necessary for bidding purposes - in very unfair and unprofessional
... See more
What would you think of a person, who has agreed with 6 or 7 different answers given to a KudoZ quiestion? Moreover, the question concerns a language, which is not specified in this person\'s profile as working language.

Moreover, this person is jumping from one language pair to another and continues to agree with everything...

It seems to me that the guy is simply building up his reserves of BrowniZ points - necessary for bidding purposes - in very unfair and unprofessional way.

The main damage here is not his BrowniZ score, but the fact of misleading the colleagues with such false comments!

Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 14:39
English to German
+ ...
Exactly! Jan 17, 2002

I was wondering about this guy, too.

It\'s unbelievable, how much damage it will do to Proz if he keeps on doing that. What will the askers think of this site??? How to chose a winner, if an agree is written below each answer? It doesn\'t help at all!

Maybe someone should explain the sense of the agree / disagree option to him.

Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
English to French
+ ...
Discerning eye Jan 17, 2002

I think it is up to the person asking the question to judge the quality of the answers given. Yes, agreeing/disagreeing is an easy way of getting a few BrowniZ points, and quite frankly I think it\'s intended to be. But look at it objectively - you could go at it all day and in the end all you\'ve got is a few silly little points that you could have earned much more quickly building up your glossary, for example. It\'s just a waste of time and I don\'t think any of the serious members of this si... See more
I think it is up to the person asking the question to judge the quality of the answers given. Yes, agreeing/disagreeing is an easy way of getting a few BrowniZ points, and quite frankly I think it\'s intended to be. But look at it objectively - you could go at it all day and in the end all you\'ve got is a few silly little points that you could have earned much more quickly building up your glossary, for example. It\'s just a waste of time and I don\'t think any of the serious members of this site would stoop to it.

Let the askers beware, let the askers use their better judgement. I really doubt a mature translator will be fooled by a YES man or a NO man jumping from question to question, leaving their little trace.

I just don\'t think it\'s a dramatic issue.
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
More rules are needed at ProZ. Jan 17, 2002

Until members are asked to identify themselves with name, surname [ second name], country and address, this type of things will continue to happen. Also we should be asked to answer only on specific language pairs and be banned from the site if we do not agree to those terms.

Regards,

BSD

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Identification additionally by blood type, religious and sexual persuasion... ad nauseam? Jan 17, 2002

And who shall watch the watchers?

Quote:

On 2002-01-17 19:22, Bertha wrote:

Until members are asked to identify themselves with name, surname [ second name], country and address, this type of things will continue to happen. Also we should be asked to answer only on specific language pairs and be banned from the site if we do not agree to those terms.

... See more
And who shall watch the watchers?

Quote:

Regards,

BSD

P.S. Should we ban the dramatically ungrammatical?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-17 20:21 ]Collapse

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Rich, you couldn't be more right Jan 18, 2002

And let\'s not forget to do a full body search of everyone who enters and make them remove their shoes lest they blow up the site and the whole Internet with it.

If we are so intent on preventing people from sometimes agreeing with things they do not fully understand, how come we do not require practically any identification from the people who post the jobs?!

Of course, some control is necessary - but please, let\'s not create any iron curtains here!<
... See more
And let\'s not forget to do a full body search of everyone who enters and make them remove their shoes lest they blow up the site and the whole Internet with it.

If we are so intent on preventing people from sometimes agreeing with things they do not fully understand, how come we do not require practically any identification from the people who post the jobs?!

Of course, some control is necessary - but please, let\'s not create any iron curtains here!

Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Members agree now with already graded questions!!! Jan 18, 2002

I was not even aware that you can get Brownies for agreeing/disagreeing.

Well, now you can look up all the graded questions and agree with everyone who\'s gotten no points. And you accumulate your Brownies.

The guys who do that do not even speak the two language pairs of the questions.

Hope my message gets through, because I am only a member that has paid the fee, without being awarded the platinum ribbon....

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could have sworn the sky was falling! Jan 18, 2002

Some poor souls need drama in their lives! And rules and caveats and demands...it is out of our hands.

Quote:

On 2002-01-17 19:09, kowderoi wrote:

I think it is up to the person asking the question to judge the quality of the answers given. Yes, agreeing/disagreeing is an easy way of getting a few BrowniZ points, and quite frankly I think it\'s intended to be. Bu... See more
Some poor souls need drama in their lives! And rules and caveats and demands...it is out of our hands.

Quote:

On 2002-01-17 19:09, kowderoi wrote:

I think it is up to the person asking the question to judge the quality of the answers given. Yes, agreeing/disagreeing is an easy way of getting a few BrowniZ points, and quite frankly I think it\'s intended to be. But look at it objectively - you could go at it all day and in the end all you\'ve got is a few silly little points that you could have earned much more quickly building up your glossary, for example. It\'s just a waste of time and I don\'t think any of the serious members of this site would stoop to it.

Let the askers beware, let the askers use their better judgement. I really doubt a mature translator will be fooled by a YES man or a NO man jumping from question to question, leaving their little trace.

I just don\'t think it\'s a dramatic issue.

Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Address and Country? A bit too hard... Jan 18, 2002

[I do not think it is necessary to identify yourself, as Richrd said, by \"blood factor\", \"eye colour\" and stuff. An address or residence may change, the more. Even from Kazakhstan, for example, I can use a German or whatever e-mail address to log in and identify myself stating that my residence is the Goby desert, the moon or whatever as long as I am connected to electricity.

But there is a point in Berta\'s statement: it should be allowed (technically, I think it is not
... See more
[I do not think it is necessary to identify yourself, as Richrd said, by \"blood factor\", \"eye colour\" and stuff. An address or residence may change, the more. Even from Kazakhstan, for example, I can use a German or whatever e-mail address to log in and identify myself stating that my residence is the Goby desert, the moon or whatever as long as I am connected to electricity.

But there is a point in Berta\'s statement: it should be allowed (technically, I think it is not a problem to build in a respective feature)to answer and to grade others\' suggestions only in those languages you enter into your profile. I absolutely agree that the issue of this guy grading and agreeing with everything (I wrote him a personal, neutral mail on this, just asking the same question and offering assistance in using the system) is not dramatic. It is really the first time that I am faced with this for 4 months of membership. But I agree that the site\'s outside reputation of Proz in the eyes of potential clients may suffer should this practice be taken over by others and go on on a larger scale. If this can be avoided it should be done. Although the guy will hardly greatly benefit from his approach: ok, he may bid for some jobs for free having collected a number of Browniz. But I do not know a lot of people who can make a living out of the jobs received through Proz.

Salem

Steffen]

Regards,

BSD

[/quote]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 13:39
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Good on you, Richard Jan 18, 2002

The problem is not members agreeing: theyt might have agreed with the first answer, but when another one is posted an hour later, they decide it\'s a better one.

The problem is people answering in language-pairs they have no competence in.

Let me amend that: the REAL problem is people asking a whole series of questions in language-pairs they have no competence in, clearly because they are doing a translaation job they have no business doing.

MM thinks it\'s a non-is
... See more
The problem is not members agreeing: theyt might have agreed with the first answer, but when another one is posted an hour later, they decide it\'s a better one.

The problem is people answering in language-pairs they have no competence in.

Let me amend that: the REAL problem is people asking a whole series of questions in language-pairs they have no competence in, clearly because they are doing a translaation job they have no business doing.

MM thinks it\'s a non-issue. Well, I have seen moderators doing it (certainly the former). Obviously he\'d think it\'s a non-issue. Does back-scratching ring a bell?

Perhaps someone thinks we should present our grandparents\' marriage certifdicate before we are allowed on this site.

[addsig]
Collapse

Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
English to French
+ ...
Less rules, more brains Jan 18, 2002

Rules are definitely not a solution to this kind of irresponsible, counterproductive and ... well, just futile behaviour. Rules, after all, are made to be broken. I\'m relatively new to the site, but my experience with kudoZ is quite good, and the help I\'ve obtained has helped me professionnaly to some degree. Let\'s not put a straitjacket on a system which works, say, 85% of the time and benefits everyone, even this yoyo who got a handful of points out of his endeavour.

... See more
Rules are definitely not a solution to this kind of irresponsible, counterproductive and ... well, just futile behaviour. Rules, after all, are made to be broken. I\'m relatively new to the site, but my experience with kudoZ is quite good, and the help I\'ve obtained has helped me professionnaly to some degree. Let\'s not put a straitjacket on a system which works, say, 85% of the time and benefits everyone, even this yoyo who got a handful of points out of his endeavour.

Quote:

Regards,

BSD

Collapse

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
I fully agree with you! Jan 18, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-01-18 15:39, kowderoi wrote:

Too many rules will only create a situation when \"real\" people - the ones who are good and work in good faith - will get disgusted and leave the system, and the unscrupulous ones will still find a way to get around rules. In the vast majority of cases, it seems to me, this system has struck some sort of balance - so, let\'s just let it be. Yes, some people take translations they shouldn\'t; some people grade questions the way someone else doesn\'t like. So, what else is new? We are not here to reform the world. Even if those who want to ban everyone they don\'t like, succeed, it won\'t make the site a jot better, but a whole lot worse.

Good luck to everyone,

A.T.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"agree/disagree\" comments and how to use them

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »