German to English pair, now
Thread poster: Karin Walker
Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:32
German to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2002

Someone has posted what looks like 2 dozen questions on tech/engineering in the German to English language pair - someone who only has English/Spanish in their profile, no less.

But I won\'t moan about it happening again - that\'s been done to death. What I would like to know is what practical action, if any, we can take? I am itching to take this person to task on her practices, but I know it won\'t solve the problem and just create aggro for myself.

Does this constitute abuse to the extent that the moderators or Henry should be informed?

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Dorn
Local time: 18:32
German to English
+ ...
and I know why... Jan 17, 2002

I have answered quite a few terms for the lady in question and through email I ascertained that she is translating a text from English to Spanish, where the expressions she asked for were in German, her source text had been translated into English before except these quite special German terms.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good for you, Klaus Jan 18, 2002

You have proved that asking is much better than prejudging and assuming that others are crooks.

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:32
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not say she was a crook. Jan 18, 2002

OK, I recognise I may have been quick to judge here but owing to what\'s been going on here lately and recent forum threads I think we\'re a bit sensitive to this kind of thing. I apologise to anyone whom I may have offended by posting what I posted; please note that I did not attack Virginia personally, merely noted that this was (apparently) just one more example of freeloading. People have commented before about translators asking questions for texts not even in their language combination so this does look fishy, even if it\'s not underneath the surface.

I still think that there should be a way of limiting this kind of behaviour, because it causes aggro among the Proz community and prevents \"honest\" askers from being taken seriously if they justifiably post a number of questions in a row. This incident is an example of that - I mistakenly lumped her in with the rest.

Again, I apologise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German to English pair, now

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs