Mobile menu

KudoZ questions are being crawled by Google now?
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre

Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 20, 2002

I was doing a bit of egosurfing and I noticed that answers I gave in several KudoZ questions show up now when I query Google using my name. I don\'t remember this happening in the past. Sure, my Proz.com profile came up but not KudoZ questions. What\'s going on there?

The KudoZ hits on this very limited search test pointed to partner sites such as http://nl.proz.com/kudoz/121232 and http://yourdictionary.proz.com

I think this is something everybody should be aware of, especially in those moments when you\'re not feeling very inspired but still want to try to grab some points.

Say cheese, everybody. You\'re in Google cache pages now.

ME

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-20 02:35 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 14:18
German to English
+ ...
Thank you for the info Jan 20, 2002

Yes, this has been going on for almost half a year now (that\'s when I noticed it).

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I THINK THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS Jan 20, 2002

Just be careful regarding the answers you give to the questions.

Recently I made a search with my last name and found a number of answers I had given.

It is a pitty that you have to enter your own name to find them, because otherwise it would be a good help for those who make a search looking for a good translator. and a good help for the translator who posted the answer.

Robert Ingledew

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
IT's been going on... Jan 20, 2002

for over 8 months. I remember seeing my name in May 2001.

Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other implications of KudoZ in Google Jan 21, 2002

It is a pitty that you have to enter your own name to find them, because otherwise it would be a good help for those who make a search looking for a good translator. and a good help for the translator who posted the answer.

Robert Ingledew

[/quote]

Hi Robert,

On the other hand, in the future you will probably land on a bunch of KudoZ questions when you\'re searching Google to find a translation with quotes to get an exact phrase. From the practical point of view, I think it\'s a good thing for translators. But what about the client that has used one of those hideous automatic translators and is trying to google his way out of a technical term that the autotranslator could not deliver a translation for?

That is potentially negative, don\'t you think?

ME

jsavage
Local time: 19:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PRIVACY? Jan 21, 2002

What sort of privacy do we have between ourselves (translaing professionals) when everything we do and say is available to everybody else? I'm fed up!

After all, this comes down, essentially, to a question of copyright.

Is there any way we can protect ourselves?

[Edited at 2004-04-07 14:23]

Juan Pablo Solvez Beneyto  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are the first, Congratulations! Jan 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 23:22, ingledew wrote:

Robert Ingledew

Hi Robert,

Just today I searched: \"Oracle translation Spanish\", and I was the first of the results. Later, I read your coment and think, hey, I am going to search abour Robert, but without Robert, so I searched for: Oil gas translation spanish.. and there was your profile the first one.

So, I have to disagree with you for good

JP

Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
Partial member (2007)
French to English
internet postings May 9, 2003

I noticed tonight, after doing a search on Google, that several questions I\'d asked help on were posted. Why these particular ones, and not others? Can these be taken off?

Scott

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:18
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
I found Proz using Google... May 9, 2003

In June 2002, I was looking for a awkward term in German > English and for some reason typed it in together with \"translation\" (which I had never done before). Lo and behold, I found the term with all the answers given by various pros. It saved a lot of time. After checking out the site, I registered. I had never seen the site before, and it hadn\'t occurred to me to look for a translators\' forum on the web - despite using it for years. I can\'t imagine life without Proz now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ questions are being crawled by Google now?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs