Mobile menu

Squashers\' Rights...or Wrongs?
Thread poster: DR. RICHARD BAVRY
DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2002

I love the reasons given for squashing! So arbitrary and arrogant! Reminds me of the Nazis.



To quote one squasher who is making it so very clear that he has no sense of humor...\"nonsense\"!



Rich



The point I am trying to make is that I think we all take ourselves all too seriously sometimes...hell...what do we have to lose after all with a bit of humor?



If the determining factor were indeed what is or is not nonsense, we would not even have this forum!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-21 09:36 ]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
Careful with comparisons... Jan 21, 2002

...with all due respect, if you start invoking those comparisons, you should substantiate your point.



(Note that (i) I\'m not personally involved here, since I haven\'t squashed anything and (ii) I support your point about using a sense of humour - it\'s just that I\'m a bit sensitive about starting calling people names...)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:00
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

MODERATOR
Squashing is a serious matter Jan 21, 2002

I agree with you that squashing is no laughing matter and definitely not because it does not suit my personal tastes, lack of humour or whatever.

I have never squashed a question except duplicates.

I am also against squashing a question because it is \'indecent\'.



Anybody posting a question IS IN NEED! If one doesn\'t feel like answering, one says so or leaves the question.



If I think the question is disgusting, I tell the asker in the hope s/he understands and does not post another question of the same sort.



It\'s really quite simple



Mats Wiman

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-21 17:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-21 17:18 ]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Answering Rich. Jan 21, 2002

Quote:


On 2002-01-21 09:24, RICH wrote:

I love the reasons given for squashing! So arbitrary and arrogant! Reminds me of the Nazis.



To quote one squasher who is making it so very clear that he has no sense of humor...\"nonsense\"!



The point I am trying to make is that I think we all take ourselves all too seriously sometimes...hell...what do we have to lose after all with a bit of humor?



Clients. The help of colleagues who get fed up with garbage in KudoZ. The time we have to spend winnowing wheat from chaff. Etc.



I believe Rich may be referring to my recent removal of a \"Spanish-English\" question consisting of a dollar sign followed by a number denoting more money than there has ever been in the world and more than there will ever be for some time to come. Three facetious answers had been posted, of which his was the first. This and other types of abusive postings just aren\'t funny.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
high five to Mats Jan 21, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-01-21 17:14, MatsWiman wrote:

Anybody posting a question IS IN NEED! If one doesn\'t feel like answering, one says so or leaves the question.



Agree!



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Squashing is electronic book burning. Forbid it! Jan 21, 2002

Dear Richard,



Recently \"ballscrew\" was posted and squashed!!!

\"Judenseife\" was however not squashed!!!



Need I say more?



Let\'s convince Henry to FORBID ALL SQUASHING EXCEPT THE REMOVAL OF DUPLICATES!



Have a nice day!



Sven.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
victim of squashing Jan 22, 2002

I recently had a translation request squashed. I wondered why I had no responses for weeks.... I did not know I had been squashed.

As it turns out, my request had no meaning, let alone one of an obscene nature.

The problem with squashing is that one person\'s sensibilities deprives me of anyone else\'s expertise. Another person may have gladly translated my phrase even if it had been of an \"obscene\" nature.

If you don\'t like the request, don\'t answer it!





Direct link Reply with quote
 
DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Censorship Is Always a Doomed Pursuit Jan 22, 2002

What is so amusing is that what you call \"garbage\" is essentially the point I tried to make!



Once again, res ipse loquitur. Pay attention to Sven\'s comment...makes a lot of sense to me!



Rich



Quote:


On 2002-01-21 17:23, Jon Zuber wrote:

Quote:


On 2002-01-21 09:24, RICH wrote:

I love the reasons given for squashing! So arbitrary and arrogant! Reminds me of the Nazis.



To quote one squasher who is making it so very clear that he has no sense of humor...\"nonsense\"!



The point I am trying to make is that I think we all take ourselves all too seriously sometimes...hell...what do we have to lose after all with a bit of humor?



Clients. The help of colleagues who get fed up with garbage in KudoZ. The time we have to spend winnowing wheat from chaff. Etc.



I believe Rich may be referring to my recent removal of a \"Spanish-English\" question consisting of a dollar sign followed by a number denoting more money than there has ever been in the world and more than there will ever be for some time to come. Three facetious answers had been posted, of which his was the first. This and other types of abusive postings just aren\'t funny.



Direct link Reply with quote
 
DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Said! Jan 22, 2002

Makes me wonder why some \"professionals\" are so indignant about the \"waste of their time\" yet have time to protest so much...and berate what suits them not!



Why don\'t they simply ignore what is not of worth...and get on with their hubristic lives!



Quote:


On 2002-01-22 03:31, fustie wrote:

I recently had a translation request squashed. I wondered why I had no responses for weeks.... I did not know I had been squashed.

As it turns out, my request had no meaning, let alone one of an obscene nature.

The problem with squashing is that one person\'s sensibilities deprives me of anyone else\'s expertise. Another person may have gladly translated my phrase even if it had been of an \"obscene\" nature.

If you don\'t like the request, don\'t answer it!







Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
not nonsense Jan 22, 2002

Quote:


I believe Rich may be referring to my recent removal of a \"Spanish-English\" question consisting of a dollar sign followed by a number denoting more money than there has ever been in the world and more than there will ever be for some time to come. Three facetious answers had been posted, of which his was the first. This and other types of abusive postings just aren\'t funny.





Losing clients because we engage in some humor is a bit of a stretch I think.



Jon, I for one was curious how all those zeroes are actually called in English. A facetious post perhaps required a facetious answer. That\'s why Dr. Rich stepped in as his role is comic relief (as many now know and you perhaps not). Some levity is sometimes needed.



Consult Terry Burgess, the Es>En mod, if in doubt.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly my point...A Little Joy Never Hurt Anyone Jan 22, 2002

That was my intent entirely! And as Marcus so well points out, it is a bit of a stretch indeed to think that we shall all lose clients because of the injection of a bit of levity!



We all have the option of keeping our drawers on without getting them in a twist. And, above all, if we insist that others do as we think or say, we have lost the day!



Quote:


On 2002-01-22 06:05, marcushm wrote:

Quote:


I believe Rich may be referring to my recent removal of a \"Spanish-English\" question consisting of a dollar sign followed by a number denoting more money than there has ever been in the world and more than there will ever be for some time to come. Three facetious answers had been posted, of which his was the first. This and other types of abusive postings just aren\'t funny.





Losing clients because we engage in some humor is a bit of a stretch I think.



Jon, I for one was curious how all those zeroes are actually called in English. A facetious post perhaps required a facetious answer. That\'s why Dr. Rich stepped in as his role is comic relief (as many now know and you perhaps not). Some levity is sometimes needed.



Consult Terry Burgess, the Es>En mod, if in doubt.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
Member
English to Spanish
May I? Jan 25, 2002


Sorry I\'m late to this discussion, but having posted the third answer to the squashed question, I feel I have to say something. Jon, this is nothing against you, but I was really surprised to see the question squashed (like Marcus, I was curious about the answer). Now that I see all these posts I\'m not even sure what it is that you found was nonsense or abusive there: the question? the answers? both?



My answer pointed out that the question was slightly different from the ones the asker had posted before, and that she therefore needed a different answer. If the wording was facetious, well, I\'ll take that as a compliment in such a dull world!



I guess of all the guidelines we are given for squashing, repetition is the only one that cannot be contested. The criterion for \"nonsense\", \"unprofessional, lacks literary/technical merit\" and even \"adult nature\" or \"offensive\" may vary from one person to the other.



But I, for one, felt the asker had a legitimate need, and a little humor to help that need come across wouldn\'t hurt.



Cheers,



Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Squashers\' Rights...or Wrongs?

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs