Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Troubling facts - incorrect profile information
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 17:10
German to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2002

Hi all,

I have discovered that one member (a ProZ moderator, of all people!) is not exactly truthful in his ProZ profile. Specifically, he claims to be a member of ATA. Now, I have received confirmation from ATA that this person is, in fact, NOT a member of ATA.

The other question is: if this member lies about this, how much stock can a client put in the other information listed in that particular profile?

And should such a modera
... See more
Hi all,

I have discovered that one member (a ProZ moderator, of all people!) is not exactly truthful in his ProZ profile. Specifically, he claims to be a member of ATA. Now, I have received confirmation from ATA that this person is, in fact, NOT a member of ATA.

The other question is: if this member lies about this, how much stock can a client put in the other information listed in that particular profile?

And should such a moderator not be removed from his post? After all, the job description and selection criteria for moderators are perfectly clear (professional conduct, etc.). I want to hear your input.

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:10
German to English
Mind your own business Jan 24, 2002

There are many reasons why something in a profile might no longer be up to date. Don\'t start calling colleagues liars, cheats, etc. in a forum. Have you nothing better to do?

Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
Local time: 23:10
English to French
+ ...
Agree with you, Kim Jan 24, 2002

Is this site for professional translators or amateur private investigators?

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Kim Jan 24, 2002

Usually, it would not be a big deal, but this person already has a \"track record\". Besides, Kim, with all due respect, you work with this guy and cannot be impartial.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Member of the ATA = Someone paying the annual fee. Jan 24, 2002

So if you choose not to pay, do you then become a liar?

The person in question might simply have forgotten to edit his/her profile.

Do your homework first if you\'re anxious to keep Proz.com \'clean\', i.e. approach the person directly, stating the \'facts\' and ask him/her why s/he says s/he\'s a member without being one, thus trying to establish facts before bothering us with innuendos based on third-hand information.

I agree with Kim, don\'t you find better thin
... See more

Do your homework first if you\'re anxious to keep Proz.com \'clean\', i.e. approach the person directly, stating the \'facts\' and ask him/her why s/he says s/he\'s a member without being one, thus trying to establish facts before bothering us with innuendos based on third-hand information.

I agree with Kim, don\'t you find better things to do?

Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you do Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 17:25, MatsWiman wrote:

Do your homework first if you\'re anxious to keep Proz.com \'clean\', i.e. approach the person directly, stating the \'facts\' and ask him/her why s/he says s/he\'s a member without being one, thus trying to establish facts before botheri... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-24 17:25, MatsWiman wrote:

I agree with Kim, don\'t you find better things to do?

If you continue to claim membership in an organization, but fail to pay your dues (or cancel your membership altogether), yes, it does make you a liar. It simply means that clients have to double-check and triple-check the information contained in these profiles.

But the main point is: should someone like that be allowed to stay on as a moderator? The rules are very clear! ▲ Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
This is a topic to be discussed with Henry, not on an open forum Jan 24, 2002

Hi Werner!

I don\'t usually get involved with this type of discussion, but I do feel very strongly that this is not a forum subject. It should be discussed off-line with Henry (if you haven\'t already done so).

Alison

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 17:42, alison1969 wrote:

Hi Werner!

I don\'t usually get involved with this type of discussion, but I do feel very strongly that this is not a forum subject. It should be discussed off-line with Henry (if you haven\'t already done so).

Alison

I have also notified ATA to get in touch with Henry as well. But this IS a public issue, because it c... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-24 17:42, alison1969 wrote:

Hi Werner!

Alison

I have also notified ATA to get in touch with Henry as well. But this IS a public issue, because it concerns a moderator, not just any member. And since this site is more and more becoming a paid site, members have a right to know these things. Don\'t worry, Alison, I would never put the moderator\'s actual name here (and I will not disclose it in private e-mails either!), but people (and also clients) have a right to be informed. ▲ Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
No need for names to know that this is a private feud Jan 24, 2002

Dear Werner,

Please don\'t pretend to protect the privacy of a member, you gave enough hints for anyone following your private feuds to know that this is just another blow below the belt.

What\'s the booty you\'re after? Personal satisfaction? You should get that from all the members agreeing with you on other subjects.

Live and let live.

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 22:10
English to Hebrew
+ ...
How typical! Jan 24, 2002

Two moderators have jumped to the defence of another, who was proved to be a liar!

It is something that concerns all members of this site. Kim and Mats, I fully expected you to defend a fellow-moderator caught in a lie. But all your pompous huffing and puffing will not shut up other members of this site.
[addsig]

SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Again? Jan 24, 2002

I recall that Henry recently told you not to act as some kind of police on ProZ (concerning the translation agency that submitted their company on the Blue Board and then gave themselves fives on the rating).

I think you should have noticed that exhortation immediately. Why not directly change your name from \"Werner George Patels, MA, CTran (ATIO)\" to \"Werner George Patels, Certified Web Police on Proz\".

[addsig]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As a paying member, you should be more concerned! Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 19:40, Swedish-Tr wrote:

I recall that Henry recently told you not to act as some kind of police on ProZ (concerning the translation agency that submitted their company on the Blue Board and then gave themselves fives on the rating).

As a paying member of this site, you should be more concerned about where your money is going (and moderators get a cut of ProZ p... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-24 19:40, Swedish-Tr wrote:

As a paying member of this site, you should be more concerned about where your money is going (and moderators get a cut of ProZ profits)!

Do you want to be \"moderated\" by an untruthful wannabe? It is time that Henry enforced his code of conduct for moderators.

Besides, I am not \"policing\" the site, but merely raising the question of what to do about such trickery and deception. In addition, as a member of ATA myself, I have a vested interest in seeing this designation protected - and ProZ, as a corporate ATA member, should not allow this either.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-24 20:00 ]Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Stick to facts, please Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 19:56, AbacusTrans wrote:

As a paying member of this site, you should be more concerned about where your money is going (and moderators get a cut of ProZ profits)!

No, we don\'t. You are wrong. Where have you seen this?

If you can\'t stick to your own business, at least try to stick to facts, please.

Gianfranco

En>It co-moderator<... See more
Quote:

No, we don\'t. You are wrong. Where have you seen this?

If you can\'t stick to your own business, at least try to stick to facts, please.

Gianfranco

En>It co-moderator

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-24 20:25 ]Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but it was reported that way Jan 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 20:07, gianfranco wrote:

Quote:

No, we don\'t. You are wrong. Were have you seen this?

If you can\'t stick to your own bu... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-24 20:07, gianfranco wrote:

Quote:

No, we don\'t. You are wrong. Were have you seen this?

Gianfranco

En>It co-moderator

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-24 20:08 ]

Sorry, but I read it myself at some point (it was either in one of the early newsletters or calls for moderators): each moderator gets a share in ProZ. I don\'t know, maybe this has changed since then (or perhaps that whole share plan never worked out).

By the way: speaking up in the face of such trickery is, and should be, everyone\'s business AND right (and I am a paying ProZ AND paying ATA member!)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-24 20:17 ]Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The "culprit" has removed part of his false statement, ... Jan 24, 2002

... but not all of it. Besides, I have made a copy of the previous profile, which has been forwarded to ATA. Case closed.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-25 00:38 ]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Troubling facts - incorrect profile information

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »