https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/127339-florencia_at_prozcom_advertises_babylon_staff%3A_apologies_we_screwed_up.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
florencia at proz.com advertises Babylon ? (staff: 'Apologies - we screwed up')
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
Feb 11, 2009

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this topic in (moderators: if not, feel free to move it). I just received the following e-mail (sender's address: florencia at proz.com):

Dear Translators,

Babylon Ltd., developer of the world renown dictionary software, expresses its appreciation for professional translators. With its dictionary software, Babylon offer... See more
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this topic in (moderators: if not, feel free to move it). I just received the following e-mail (sender's address: florencia at proz.com):

Dear Translators,

Babylon Ltd., developer of the world renown dictionary software, expresses its appreciation for professional translators. With its dictionary software, Babylon offers a valuable, complementary assisting tool for translators, which is marked by its intuitive and easy use.

Recently Babylon initiated an Outreach Program for Translators. Join this program by promoting it on your website, by writing about it on your blog or ProZ.com profile and get a free one-year license of the Babylon dictionary software!
Join Now!
http://www.babylon-blog.com/translator-outreach/

The time limited Babylon Outreach Program addresses only professional translators and conveys the message that that no machine translation can be a substitute for the experienced translator.

Wishing you a successful year,
Babylon Ltd.

For direct feedback and questions, please contact us here: tali at babylon.com
Calle 45 Numero 833, 3ro B, La Plata, Argentina 1900
**************************************************************Use this link to unsubscribe:
http://www.magnetmail.net/Actions/unsubscribe.cfm?message_id=xxxx&user_id=PROZ&recipient_id=xxxx&email=XXXX@XXXX&group_id=xxxx

Note: I replaced the numbers and my e-mail address in the "unsubscribe" link by xxxes.

What is this? "Personalized" advertising by Proz staff? A new source of income for proz.com? Or possibly spam using Florencia's e-mail address? Can somebody please clarify?

Thanks a lot.
LB

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-11 14:37 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-11 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:33
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Feb 11, 2009

I received the same email, and found it odd because of the poor use of English.

Is this spam, or just poorly-written advertising approved by Proz.com?

Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also received this email Feb 11, 2009

and have been waiting to see what others say about it in terms of whether I should delete it, report it as spam or unsubscribe since I'm not sure that clicking on that option won't lead to a barrage of other junk coming into my mail box.

I also want to know if it's out of bounds that it comes attached to the proz.com moniker as if that makes it somehow OK ??

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com staff notified Feb 11, 2009

Hi LittleBalu,
I received the same message.

Please note that I notified ProZ.com staff of this thread.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Spam filtered Feb 11, 2009

My email directed it straight into the spam bin. I'm not sure how it knew to do so as most Proz mail goes right into my in-box.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't unsubscribe ... Feb 11, 2009

Laurie Price wrote:

and have been waiting to see what others say about it in terms of whether I should delete it, report it as spam or unsubscribe since I'm not sure that clicking on that option won't lead to a barrage of other junk coming into my mail box.

I also want to know if it's out of bounds that it comes attached to the proz.com moniker as if that makes it somehow OK ??

Don't click on the unsubscribe link. If this mail is, indeed, spam (and Ralf's comment makes me think it is), it might get you into real trouble. If this wasn't a fake, why should Babylon redirect "unsubscribers" to www.magnetmail.net?

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received this too... Feb 11, 2009

...and deleted right then since I didn't have the time then to chase it up. Will be interested to hear Proz' comments, and happy to collaborate with any action which may be necessary/appropriate.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SPAM! Feb 11, 2009

Just found out - thanks to Klaus, my "system administrator" - that the e-mail wasn't sent by Florencia at all. The sender's real e-mail address is [email protected]. So this is spam. Don't click on the unsubscribe link!

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More information Feb 11, 2009

Interesting link:

http://spamnation.info/go/domain/magnetmail.net

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Babylon advertising email delivered by ProZ.com Feb 11, 2009

We offer advertisers like Babylon many options including the delivery of emails. The text is provided by the client and we do try to assist them in the proper use of English, but this is not always created by native speakers of English.

We are utilizing a new email service MagnetMail and it appears that in building the delivery query for this advertising message an item was omitted which allowed this message to be delivered to users who have previously requested to be removed from
... See more
We offer advertisers like Babylon many options including the delivery of emails. The text is provided by the client and we do try to assist them in the proper use of English, but this is not always created by native speakers of English.

We are utilizing a new email service MagnetMail and it appears that in building the delivery query for this advertising message an item was omitted which allowed this message to be delivered to users who have previously requested to be removed from 3rd party email messages – we apologize for this error. Unsubscribing using the magnetmail link will not result in any additional mailers or your address being added to any spam lists and will also unsubscribe users from receiving any future 3rd party advertising email messages. Users may also manage 3rd party email subscriptions under email preferences and other notifications in the users profile. Users can also manage this preference as well at http://www.proz.com/remove

This message was sent by ProZ.com staff on behalf of an advertiser. The email address should have read "ProZ.com Advertiser" and [email protected] as it has in the past and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Thank you.
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Third-party (unsolicited) advertising - dubious practices! Feb 11, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

We are utilizing a new email service MagnetMail and it appears that in building the delivery query for this advertising message an item was omitted which allowed this message to be delivered to users who have previously requested to be removed from 3rd party email messages – we apologize for this error. Unsubscribing using the magnetmail link will not result in any additional mailers or your address being added to any spam lists and will also unsubscribe users from receiving any future 3rd party advertising email messages. Users may also manage 3rd party email subscriptions under email preferences and other notifications in the users profile. Users can also manage this preference as well at http://www.proz.com/remove

This message was sent by ProZ.com staff on behalf of an advertiser. The email address should have read "ProZ.com Advertiser" and [email protected] as it has in the past and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Thank you.

Does proz.com really have to resort to such dubious practices just to generate income? I'm furious! Please make sure that my e-mail address is REMOVED from Babylon's database immediately as I have never consented to it being passed on in the first place. If such things continue to happen (see the Facebook incident), I'll have to think about unsubscribing from my proz.com membership, not just from third-party e-mail advertising!

Lucio C P Soluchinsky
Lucio C P Soluchinsky
Brazil
Local time: 22:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
So, it's not a scam. Feb 11, 2009

After all, I assume it's not a scam right? Bad English, bad link, bad everything...but what about the promotion. Is it true? Has anybody tried it?

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Couldn't agree more! Feb 11, 2009

I completely agree with LittleBalu, I don't think that passing our email details to third parties without our permission is acceptable, this is not why I pay my Proz.com subscription. Please make sure that my email address is removed from Babylon's database at once.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Shambles Feb 11, 2009

After all of the complaints about unwanted Proz advertising in the past, and the painstaking efforts I went to to find where to disable the DEFAULT (!!!!) SPAM ME box, this mix up is a shambles that should not have happened.

I have every understanding for individual errors and oversights that staff members may make from time to time (to err is, after all, human).

But here, the site policy is so focused on advertising that this sort of thing is bound to happen again and
... See more
After all of the complaints about unwanted Proz advertising in the past, and the painstaking efforts I went to to find where to disable the DEFAULT (!!!!) SPAM ME box, this mix up is a shambles that should not have happened.

I have every understanding for individual errors and oversights that staff members may make from time to time (to err is, after all, human).

But here, the site policy is so focused on advertising that this sort of thing is bound to happen again and again. Proz has even appointed at least one full time staff member to design ways to advertise to us whether we like it or not, and those of us who do not like this are presumably seen as a nuisance.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
This is truly amazing!! Feb 11, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

So this 'advertiser' now has my email address, which they in turn can sell on. That's nice.

[Edited at 2009-02-11 14:14 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

florencia at proz.com advertises Babylon ? (staff: 'Apologies - we screwed up')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »