https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/12871-how_much_should_i_charge_as_hourly_fee_for_this_job.html

How much should I charge as hourly fee for this job?
Thread poster: Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I need to make several changes to a translation since the client has added new information and has modified the source text. These changes need to be implemented in the translation, so I have to compare the texts and translate the new information.

Could you please let me know how much should I charge as hourly fee for this job?

Thank you!!

Regards,
Blanca.

[Edited at 2003-07-24 22:10]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:28
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Your normal houly rate Jul 24, 2003

If you spend up to an hour, I would charge as a minimum job (your minimum fee.) If you spend more than that, I think charging per hour would be fair. Charge them your normal hourly rate (as much as your hour is worth.)
Monika

[quote]
Blanca Amoroso wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I need to make several changes to a translation since the client has added new information and has modified the source text. These changes need to be implemented in the translation, so I have to compare the texts and translate the new information.

Could you please let me know how much should I charge as hourly fee for this job?

Thank you!!

Regards,
Blanca.

[Edited at 2003-07-24 23:15]

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok but... Jul 24, 2003

I agree but I usually don't charge per hour, not even for proofing, I charge on a per word basis, so I have no idea of how much to charge. What are the most common hourly fees for proofing, for instance?

Thanks,
Blanca.

Monika Coulson wrote:

If you spend up to an hour, I would charge as a minimum job (your minimum fee.) If you spend more than that, I think charging per hour would be fare. Charge them your normal hourly rate (as much as your hour is worth.)
Monika

Blanca Amoroso wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thank you!!

Regards,
Blanca.

[Edited at 2003-07-24 22:29]

[Edited at 2003-07-24 22:43]

[Edited at 2003-07-25 16:35]

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:28
English to Italian
+ ...
An hour is an hour is an hour... Jul 24, 2003

Hi Blanca

In my experience the easiest way to calculate an hourly fee is multiplying your (highest) rate (per word) for the *maximum* number of words you are able to translate in 1 hour. "Maximum" is the key here: you want to base your count on the easiest texts, the ones that you could do standing on your head and with one arm pinned behind your back, not on those jobs from hell that have you sweat on every single word.
If you normally translate 300 words per hour, and your r
... See more
Hi Blanca

In my experience the easiest way to calculate an hourly fee is multiplying your (highest) rate (per word) for the *maximum* number of words you are able to translate in 1 hour. "Maximum" is the key here: you want to base your count on the easiest texts, the ones that you could do standing on your head and with one arm pinned behind your back, not on those jobs from hell that have you sweat on every single word.
If you normally translate 300 words per hour, and your rate is 10 apples per word, then your hourly rate will be 3000 apples - be it for proofreading, editing or teaching knitting classes.

HTH - and, as they say, YMMV.

Mirella

Blanca Amoroso wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thank you!!

Regards,
Blanca.

[Edited at 2003-07-24 22:45]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Why hourly? Jul 24, 2003

It sounds like a rather normal editing job. If you have to check and read the whole text to ensure you find every ocurrence of terms to be changed, you may charge your normal editing rate per word. If appropriate, you may possibly delimit the pages to be checked before you start editing.
Otherwise, if you plan to perform a search & replace operation, you could come to an agreement with your client which operations exactly are to be performed, and charge hourly or a lump sum.

Blanca Amoroso
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Harry!

Well, it was my client who suggested to pay hourly and I find it quite logical because this type of activity takes a lot of time (I have to compare both texts) and it is not convenient to charge on a per word basis.

Regards,
Blanca.

Harry_B wrote:

It sounds like a rather normal editing job. If you have to check and read the whole text to ensure you find every ocurrence of terms to be changed, you may charge your normal editing rate per word. If appropriate, you may possibly delimit the pages to be checked before you start editing.
Otherwise, if you plan to perform a search & replace operation, you could come to an agreement with your client which operations exactly are to be performed, and charge hourly or a lump sum.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Whether per word or per hour.. Jul 25, 2003

.. as a platinum member you can take a look at the community rates as a guideline. Just go to your profile page, click on "Click to edit" and on "View the community's rates".
, Harry

FRA-MA
FRA-MA
Germany
Local time: 04:28
English to French
+ ...
You can usually proofread 1000 words per hour Jul 25, 2003

Hi,

You can usually manage to proofread 1000 words per hour - this may help you fix your rate.

Best regards,

CĂ©line

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge as hourly fee for this job?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »