Grade your questions, please!
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 11:37
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2002

We used to be able to send reminder messages to members who for one reason or the other were not grading their questions.

This is a reminder to all Proz.com users that grading answers with a short message of appreciation to the colleagues who have helped us in our time of need, is just part of belonging to Proz.com, of sharing the knowledge and the thank yous. What goes around comes around!

Also you can consider voting with your agree for the answer that seems the most appropriate. This way, the answer with at least two agrees, or with the most agrees, is automatically voted as the most helpful, and closed.

ciao

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-07 02:11 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
English to Spanish
Peer grading Feb 7, 2002

Hi Paola!

What do you mean you used to be able to do this? Is this no longer possible (for moderators, I assume)?

About automatic grading based on peer agreement, it doesn\'t seem to be working properly. Just a few days ago there was a question in English>Spanish, and the asker\'s history revealed 241 (!) open questions, from October 23 to February 3. A clear example of an \"egregious non-grader\" (KudoZ FAQs) if there ever was one...

Cheers,

Andrea

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Grading answers Feb 7, 2002

Paola,

What we need is an option of politely declining all the answers in one fell swoop while, at the same time, thanking everybody for taking the time to answer.

I recently had 6 or 8 answers to a question, with no consensus among the answerers. I don\'t know what to do in that case. Simply declining someone\'s answer seems so rude.

Trudy

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Grading issue Feb 7, 2002

I find this whole grading hysteria demeaning and seriously diluting the value and experience of Proz.com.

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
I agree Feb 7, 2002

I also recently posted a question and received several answers. I wanted a way to decline, but with an explanation and to thank the people for their time. The line for explanation when one declines is way too short. I then posted a follow-up to my question so I could explain why I declined and to thank everyone, but the follow-up didn\'t appear. This may be due to the current technical problems though.

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:37
German to English
closing questions Feb 7, 2002

If you have no appropriate answer to your question, you may decline each answer (yes, the box is too small!) in order to close the question. It will then not be displayed as non-graded. At least in Ger > Eng, most of the ungraded questions are always from the same people, a lot of whom do not appear to be members. There are certain types of questions and askers to whom I no longer bother to reply, even if I know the answer \"off the top of my head\".

This discussion has taken place before, I believe. IMO, no non-members should be allowed to ask questions.

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Feb 7, 2002

No hysteria on my part. Kudoz are the engine of Proz.com, the way to build our glossary, to get to know translators, to refine your skills, to get and offer help, and questions need to be closed to encourage answerers and to keep the exchange going. Also to know what is the translation that fits that context.

I sincerely do not see what\'s diluting or demeaning about this. It is quality control by peers.

I agree with Alan that I no longer reply to people who are chronic non-graders. And these are the non-graders I am talking about. I am moderator of a very active community (EN>IT) with tens and tens of questions every day. And the glossary we have built is impressive.

Re declining. I don\'t understand what is the problem with declining all the answers. My personal attitude, though, is to reward, maybe with one point or two, the answer that steered me in the right direction or that provided a useful reference.

It is perhaps because I am also a teacher and I tend to reward effort.

my two cents

paola l m

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Diluting and declining Feb 7, 2002

No hysteria on my part. Kudoz are the engine of Proz.com, the way to build our glossary, to get to know translators, to refine your skills, to get and offer help, and questions need to be closed to encourage answerers and to keep the exchange going. Also to know what is the translation that fits that context.

I sincerely do not see what\'s diluting or demeaning about this. It is quality control by peers.

I agree with Alan that I no longer reply to people who are chronic non-graders. And these are the non-graders I am talking about. I am moderator of a very active community (EN>IT) with tens and tens of questions every day. And the glossary we have built is impressive.

Re declining. I don\'t understand what is the problem with declining all the answers. My personal attitude, though, is to reward, maybe with one point or two, the answer that steered me in the right direction or that provided a useful reference.

my two cents

paola l m

Florian v. Savigny  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
English to German
KudoZ is often a collaborative matter Feb 7, 2002

I think that the current design of the KudoZ system is very competetive, and that this does sometimes not reflect justly what is going on. I\'ll illustrate this by example:

- someone posts a question

- somebody else answers fast, in order to be the first (because the asker might need the answer soon and grade quickly)

- three other people do the same

- a sixth person reads all the answers, agrees on the whole, but can think of a slightly better synonym

- and the asker chooses the last answer as the best

What is not at all reflected in this scheme is that the last answerer has profited from the others\' answers.

I am not saying here that everyone should \"answer on his own\". On the contrary, it\'s fun to discuss the right translation of a term with others and to refer to their proposals, and it benefits the solution.

What I would propose is rather another grading scheme. The asker should honour the helpfulness - if indirect - of every answer. E.g. it can be extremely helpful to say \"I don\'t know the translation, but the *meaning* is ...\" -- that can put others on the right track. And if none of the answers is helpful, yes, he should decline them all (in one swoop ), and give BrowniZ for the effort.

Or, as somebody else (sorry, from here I can\'t see who) has implied, discard the grading business. But as it seems to play a role in the conception of this site, I\'d like to see it encourage collaboration instead of competition -- freelancing has enough of the latter anyway.

What I would also deem helpful is a bigger text field for comments.

Florian

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Collaboration is a dream Feb 8, 2002

> I\'d like to see it encourage collaboration

> instead of competition -- freelancing has

> enough of the latter anyway.

I couldn\'t agree more with you and Yngve.

Just now, I had to experiance the downside of this entire KudoZ for blood attitude from a colleague for the hundredth time, when she, instead of agreeing with my suggested term, merely posted the same answer I\'d given earlier. However, there was a major difference between the 2 postings: in the \"References\" box I simply typed in \"Native\" - whilst she typed \"Professional linguist\".

So much about collaboration as opposed to competition...

AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Grade now, you hear me? Feb 8, 2002

Recently, I posted a question, which was promptly answered by many, however unsatisfactory the results. A couple of weeks later I was reminded of my grading duties by the moderator.

I like the idea of proz.com being a competitive site. After all, ambition is something inherent in humans.

Though, I\'d love to think I am entitled to postpone indefinitely my choice of the winner. And perhaps more so, if I don\'t know who that winner is
[addsig]

AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Re: Declining Feb 9, 2002

Quote:

Paola wrote:

I am not a teacher. Still, like Paola, I appreciate any contribution to my question. Under the current system nothing seems worse than declining. However unbiased, the move itself can be misconstrued very easily.

The Comments text box serves its purpose well enough (though, it could be slightly bigger in size), I think.

As v Savigny points out, it might be reasonable to grade the answers as \'more/less helpful\'.

How often do we come across something like: \"Difficult choice, all of the answers were great, thank you!\" (I\'ve seen that happening quite a few times)

Also, no better way to cool down someone who is after KudoZ and nothing else.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grade your questions, please!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs