Should job postings be permitted from HOTMAIL?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 17:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2002

I would like to bring to everybody\'s attention what we have been discussing in the Italian Forum. Somebody posted a bid for 100 words of technical translation. Leaving all other considerations aside, the oursourcer is using a hotmail address, which compounds other suspicions members have.

Do you think that offers made using such addresses should be filtered and eliminated?

paola l m

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:07
German to Italian
+ ...
edited, maybe Feb 12, 2002

i.e., I would have nothing against answering to an hotmail or yahoo address, but I would never accept any job offer coming from an outsourcer that isn\'t ready to give me, afterwards, all his data. Translators answering to such job postings should be made aware of this danger, as well as outsourcers should be made aware that if they give an hotmail address they could receive much less applications than wished.

I have sometimes found job postings where the outsourcer said clearly that h
... See more
i.e., I would have nothing against answering to an hotmail or yahoo address, but I would never accept any job offer coming from an outsourcer that isn\'t ready to give me, afterwards, all his data. Translators answering to such job postings should be made aware of this danger, as well as outsourcers should be made aware that if they give an hotmail address they could receive much less applications than wished.

I have sometimes found job postings where the outsourcer said clearly that he wanted all answers sent to an hotmail address, because otherwise his mailbox would have been clogged - nevertheless he gave all relevant data for identification. This is a very acceptable way of dealing, in my opinion.

Gilda
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
HOTMAIL is OK, but ... Feb 12, 2002

... I expect to see the outsourcer\'s full contact information (website, address - no PO Box! - phone, fax, etc.).

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points Feb 13, 2002

from Gilda and Werner. Thanks!

paola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should job postings be permitted from HOTMAIL?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »