Thread poster: GaryG

GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2002

I\'ve had occasion in my little more than two months with

ProZ to look at a few Member Profiles of people who advertise

that they translate into English (among other languages).

Folks, please check your profiles and short descriptions

for spelling and grammar! If you\'re not getting work it may be

because potential employers suspect your English translation

isn\'t going to read very well based on your profile.

Of course, your CV is critical, too, but I haven\'t read

more than one or two of them.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
Hear, hear! Feb 21, 2002

Dear GaryG,

In Sweden we have a saying ”Sådan herre, sådan hund!” (> Such Master, such dog!), meaning: “The dogs behaviour mirrors that of his Master.”

Yes, I agree, but could it be that some members conclude from the sloppy translation of the ProZ site into some languages (See e.g. Swedish!) that linguistic quality does not matter?

Sven.

Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Who "translates" the ProZ-site, anyway? Feb 21, 2002

I agree entirely with Sven. I\'ve just had a look at the \"Danish\" version of the site, and it\'s flipping awful! Never mind mistakes etc., the majority of the material is not translated in the first place. Surely this does not help in any way to impress new users/possible clients?

Some information on who is behind this rather half-hearted attempt at making the site accessible to non-English speakers (and they do exist!) would be much appreciated.

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation vs Interpreting Feb 21, 2002

I agree with the fact that somebody\'s profile is like a CV: it must be impeccable! Some \"pros\" should be ashamed of the lack of organisation in theirs (maybe I should get a native speaker to double-check mine, actually!)

But there\'s something you must be aware of: some of us never translate into English but we do interpreting from our mother tongue into English, whichis why it shows in our profile. Proz doesn\'t allow a clear distinction between translators and interpreters, so we have to specify it somehow!

I very few occasions I would dare translate into English, but I have never had a problem acting as \"language mediator\" between my clients, interpreting into English. Conference interpreting is other issue, though...

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same thing in Spanish Feb 21, 2002

Whenever I notice a member that, say, gives nonsensical answers to KudoZ questions, I check their profile and, lo and behold, they are almost always inevitably filled with spelling mistakes, sentences that make no sense and what have you. My favorite is a person whose profile uses the same word on three different occasions, all of them written differently and all of them misspelt.

I\'ve read somewhere that you should proofread your CV (or your profile in this case) more thoroughly than any other document you are going to proofread in your life. If these people don\'t bother to proofread their profiles, or are unable to detect their mistakes, how their translations would be I say.

In general I wouldn\'t care about this, because it\'s these people\'s problem. But I do believe it reflects badly on all of us. I imagine prospective clients browsing thru these profiles and wondering what kind of people advertise here...

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dear GaryG, Feb 21, 2002

To me, your suggestion sounds like a notice on the shore:

\"Swimmers: welcome - others: caution!\"

It is not stated anywhere on ProZ that only professionals are allowed to advertise their services (whatever they may be). If their spelling is below the bar, they still have a good chance of getting jobs here, given the current market situation. (Fees below market-rate, for instance, can be a big plus, irrespective of one\'s abilities / expertise as a translator). Let them try. Don\'t let it bother you if these \'non-swimmers\' don\'t suffocate. This world should be big enough for all of us...

GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Poor English in Member Profiles Feb 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-21 11:39, cidcampead wrote:

I agree with the fact that somebody\'s profile is like a CV: it must be impeccable! Some \"pros\" should be ashamed of the lack of organisation in theirs (maybe I should get a native speaker to double-check mine, actually!)

But there\'s something you must be aware of: some of us never translate into English but we do interpreting from our mother tongue into English, whichis why it shows in our profile. Proz doesn\'t allow a clear distinction between translators and interpreters, so we have to specify it somehow!

I very few occasions I would dare translate into English, but I have never had a problem acting as \"language mediator\" between my clients, interpreting into English. Conference interpreting is other issue, though...

Point well taken. I only translate (and my only language pair

on ProZ) from Russian to English, so I\'m \"in the mix\" with others

who translate INTO English, so I\'m only talking about people

(mostly native Russian speakers) who advertise their services

as translators into English (inter alia) but whose profiles, ah,

\"need work\".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please proofread your Member Profile!

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs