Mobile menu

Call to order
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 07:01
German to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2002

One, non-paying member, BNatt is going around the forums posting insulting messages and personal attacks. What is worse is the fact that, since BNatt is not a paying member, all of his/her messages are \"moderated\" by Henry. In effect, Henry is clearing and posting these hateful messages without any moderation whatsoever. So, is this forum now moderated or isn\'t it? And why does the owner of the site post messages that are in clear violation of his own site rules?

UPDATE: the offending member has finally been removed. Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-03 00:48 ]

Direct link

David Rockell
Chinese to English
I agree Mar 1, 2002

There are indeed a number of individuals who place repeated messages that others may find insulting. One I have a personal dislike of is the constant use of the imperative by some members to adress complete strangers.

Direct link

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:01
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Where then?? Mar 1, 2002

I could not find him/her

Direct link

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Where exactly?? Mar 1, 2002

Hi, Werner,

I haven\'t found any posting from that guy... Which forum did you read him in?

Giuliana
[addsig]

Direct link

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes Mar 1, 2002

He already replied to my and I checked his profile and was not difficult to understand the style of this guy, that\'s why I won\'t let anonymous in this site...

...the thread was Berta Soiza D. about University and Degrees, Being Independent, I think

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Direct link

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Henry is not the moderator of all the fora. Mar 1, 2002

Each second-level division (e.g. [under Freelancers],Translator resources, Getting established ...) has its own moderator, who is listed in the rightmost box opposite the name of that category. Henry does a lot of them, but by no means all.

Direct link

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look under "Bugs" Mar 1, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 07:56, docgy wrote:

Hi, Werner,

I haven\'t found any posting from that guy... Which forum did you read him in?

Giuliana

BNatt is a known troublemaker; she has been around before (different profile).

Direct link

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Got her/him! Mar 1, 2002

Hi Werner,

I have just read a couple of Bnatt\'s postings...

Whoever this person is, she/he means in the profile page ??? that she/he is here only for following the forums....

I wonder HOW comes that such an enthusiastic forum reader has no clue about netiquette...

I agree that was more than a personal attack, actually a sort of angry, hysterical scream for no reason and cheap, very cheap. IMO the message (I mean the one posted as a reply to yours about \"features\" granted to some members with a later \"update\") shouldn\'t have gone through, according to set rules in netiquette.

too many messages to be checked at once??? I wouldn\'t care if I had to wait for some time before my postings go through, if this were necessary to make sure all gone-thru messages do no include offensive words or personal attacks, and with \"personal attacks\" I mean \"to the person\", not \"about his/her way of thinking\", as opinions can be different, we can argue, discuss, whatever, but on a different base.

Giuliana
[addsig]

Direct link

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Mar 1, 2002

Quote:

I agree that was more than a personal attack, actually a sort of angry, hysterical scream for no reason and cheap, very cheap. IMO the message (I mean the one posted as a reply to yours about \"features\" granted to some members with a later \"update\") shouldn\'t have gone through, according to set rules in netiquette.

too many messages to be checked at once??? I wouldn\'t care if I had to wait for some time before my postings go through, if this were necessary to make sure all gone-thru messages do no include offensive words or personal attacks, and with \"personal attacks\" I mean \"to the person\", not \"about his/her way of thinking\", as opinions can be different, we can argue, discuss, whatever, but on a different base.

Giuliana

As I said, overlooking one such message is possible; overlooking a whole bunch of hate messages in rapid succession reeks of \"design\". Is the moderator, that is Henry, asleep at the wheel? Or, as indicated before, were these messages allowed through intentionally?

Sadly, the latter seems to be the case: Henry has not responded to this issue, and BNatt\'s profile has not been removed yet. If anyone else (i.e., a paying, unmoderated, member) had posted such messages, they would have been removed in an instant.

Again, Henry, speak up and let us know whether the rules of etiquette still apply (maybe they do, but not to all??? - everyone\'s equal, but some are more equal than others ....?????)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-01 19:59 ]

Direct link

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong Mar 1, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 11:54, Jon Zuber wrote:

Each second-level division (e.g. [under Freelancers],Translator resources, Getting established ...) has its own moderator, who is listed in the rightmost box opposite the name of that category. Henry does a lot of them, but by no means all.

That\'s what I thought too a long time ago. But then, I contacted one of the other \"moderators\" to ask a question. It was then that I found out that these names next to the various forums are just \"cosmetic\" features, as it were; that moderator told me that Henry is the only forum moderator. So, whether a message gets posted or not is entirely up to Henry, and no one else!

Besides, the forum where the abuse occurred has Henry\'s name next to it!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-01 21:11 ]

Direct link

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well, you learn something new every day. Mar 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 21:07, AbacusTrans wrote:

Quote:

On 2002-03-01 11:54, Jon Zuber wrote:

That\'s what I thought too a long time ago. But then, I contacted one of the other \"moderators\" to ask a question. It was then that I found out that these names next to the various forums are just \"cosmetic\" features, as it were; that moderator told me that Henry is the only forum moderator. So, whether a message gets posted or not is entirely up to Henry, and no one else!

Besides, the forum where the abuse occurred has Henry\'s name next to it!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-01 21:11 ]

Thanks, Werner, I didn\'t know that –how would I have? And when I posted my reply you had not yet specified the forum.

Direct link

John Kinory
Local time: 12:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Netiquette Mar 2, 2002

I love Giuliana\'s quietly-understated description of BNatt as \'having no clue about netiquette\'. Like calling Ghengis Khan \'not very nice\' . Brilliant, Giuliana
[addsig]

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
BNatt has been removed Mar 3, 2002

I do not personally check all postings. if you see something offensive, please report it via the support requests form accessible through the menu to the left.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Call to order

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs