Mobile menu

ProZ Glossaries - what use are they if they are wrong?
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2002

Just as language combinations are moderated, is it not possible for the glossaries to be moderated too?

Some entries are ridiculously wrong! This affects the credibility of the glossary but also can mislead future users.

Obviously, any number of translators may have different opinions as to how to translate a term, so more than one person should moderate a glossary, and preferably an expert in the field and a native speaker of the target language.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 4, 2002

This also worries me. I have just seen the case in English-Spanish where the asker chose the concept of \'inovación\' instead of novación (replacement of contracts)(innovate vs. novate). I don\'t care about the \'malditos\' Kudoz points and I have changed the glossary entry but how many more of these are around? In the asker\'s next question, form was entered as \'formulario\' whereas it referred to \'method\' (suggested by answerer chosen). I haven\'t changed this as I\'m not sure this term should be entered into the glossary as I don\'t think it conveys the equivalent of the English expression. Your suggestion, Ailish, for having people modify these entries is good but how can it be made practical? As far as I can see this would imply a lot of work and research for a lot of the terms. Sometimes it might be a good idea to just eliminate the term from the glossary until it maybe comes up again but I don\'t know if this is possible.

Again, it all comes down to the problem of closing questions so too quickly.

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes Mar 4, 2002

though I\'m new here, I think this happens because some times... askers choose the wrong answers...

That\'s Life!

Bye

AA
[addsig]

John Kinory
Local time: 04:20
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Absolutely Mar 4, 2002

I think the reasons are many and varied. Sometimes questions are closed too quickly (I\'ve seen questions closed after 3 minutes, with just one answer givem: what\'s the point of doing that, fgs?). Often, the reason is that the asker is naive and believes what s/he is told by those answering, but some of the latter have no understanding whatsoever of the target-language. IOW, they are not native speakers or equivalent. Now I\'ll get flamed for saying this, but it\'s still true.
[addsig]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Moderating glossaries Mar 6, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-03 12:20, Ailish wrote:

Just as language combinations are moderated, is it not possible for the glossaries to be moderated too?

[...]

Ailish,

Most moderators consider monitoring glossary entries to be part and parcel of their \"job\". Whether a question is closed or not, moderators have access to an \"edit glossary\" function.

I agree erroneous entries are one of the failings of the system. The following are some of the things which restrict the moderators action :

1-TIME

I hate hearing myself say that time comes into it, but as with most of you, we moderators are generally professional translators with - in my case anyway - a full-time workload on our hands.

We cannot check every single entry although we try to see as many as possible.

2-EXPERTISE

Each moderator, being a mere mortal, has specific areas of knowledge and expertise. Most of those I have come into contact with have excellent general knowledge and a practical approach to solving translation puzzles.

In areas beyond those in which we have knowledge, we can only rely upon the information posted in support of a particular term and draw logical conclusions from that information. If there is a glaring mistake, then we can do our own research and correct the entry if we think it is appropriate. That’s assuming we notice it in the first place.

3-SPEAKING AS A MERE MORTAL…

We make mistakes too.

By way of conclusion, I agree that this is the weak point of any glossary of this size and one put together in this way. However, the beauty of this system, is that when you check the glossaries, you can go to the questions, and see the explanations and the debate in some cases as to which term is appropriate. This advantage outweighs the disadvantages in my view. You have no obligation to accept the term entered as being the “right” one. Indeed, what is correct in one context, is not necessarily correct in another context. The added value of the ProZ glossaries, lies in the discussion which goes on when various translators read a particular term in a different way. This is why it is important that those answering explain how they read the question, and that they provide reliable dictionary and/or consultable sources.

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
As in Mar 7, 2002

\"short attention span > capacidad de enfocar la atención en breves lapsos de tiempo\"? The problem is not so much the dispatch with which answers are chosen as by whom they are chosen -and asked. If I\'m not mistaken, editing glossary entries is a privilege earned with a certain number of KudoZ points. Why then can everyone make them in the first place?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Glossaries - what use are they if they are wrong?

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs