What does Kudoz Etiquette mean?
Thread poster: Antonella Andreella
Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:56
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 8, 2002

I\'d like to have more detailed explanation on Kudoz Etiquette?

A \'student\' ...appearingly... disagreed with my translation proposal into Italian of the term \'vision\' arguing that it was an \'overtranslation\': my proposal was \'filosofia\' and I told her that first of all she needed to graduate and then fill up its profile page which is almost \'empty\'.

Was my reaction exaggerated?

Pls let me know your opinions as I did not want to be rude but such lessons by students are not pleasant at all either...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bye

Antonella

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:56
SITE FOUNDER
It is posted Mar 9, 2002

KudoZ Rules of Etiquette

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Mar 9, 2002

It was very kind of you though I still cannot focus on the acceptance of lessons from student peers...

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Direct link

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends... Mar 9, 2002

.. on the way you said it. The other girl had a right to desagree with you, and you with her. Etiquette has a lot to do with the way people desagree (we don\'t need it to agree)

[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's obvious Mar 9, 2002

Perhaps I wasn\'t clear enough: I was annoyed by the comment to my translation, not by the \'disagree\' option. Moreover I still do not think that my translation could be judged as an \'overtranslation\' of the term \'vision\'.

That was the point.

Thanks for your comment.

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Direct link

John Kinory
Local time: 21:56
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sorry, Antonella, but IMO you went over the top Mar 9, 2002

To disagree with someon\'e right to express her opinion because she has not graduated yet, seems to me somewhat rude. Never mind site etiquette: it\'s a matter of common courtesy.

For example, although I have postgraduate qualifications, none of my formal academic background (beyond school) is in languages. Does that mean I may not put forward a linguistic comment? Maybe your opponent has been translating since age 5.

Of course, if she was rude in the way she disagreed with you, she may have brought it on herself.

Take care.
[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To John Mar 9, 2002

Yes, you\'re right. Anyway, I was annoyed by her \'overtranslation\' judgement and some minutes later I read the topic she posted in a forum where she wrote to be a student.

However I think that the only way to test if my reaction was excessive or not is write the same kind of comment to another peer and wait for his/her reaction.

Good idea?

Bye

Antonella

[addsig]

Direct link

PaLa
Germany
German to English
An ad hominem (or ad feminem) argument is always fallacious Mar 10, 2002

I think it\'s brave of you to post this, but I think you were wrong to react as you did.

A person\'s character, motives or qualifications have no bearing on the truth or falsity of their statements, or on the validity or fallaciousness of their arguments. Otherwise we\'d all have to spend thirty years in politics before we dared to criticize George Bush\'s politics (or anyone else\'s).

\"You shouldn\'t have done that, Osama.\"

\"When you\'ve spent as long studying the Holy Book as I have...\"

(My own nine-year-old daughter frequently corrects my spoken German, and she hasn\'t even graduated from primary school yet. When she\'s right, she\'s right. And even if she turns out to be a Nobel Prize winner, she\'ll still be capable of being wrong.)

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

Direct link

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
German to English
+ ...
Bad idea, that's how wars get started! Mar 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-09 17:25, Andreella wrote:

Yes, you\'re right. Anyway, I was annoyed by her \'overtranslation\' judgement and some minutes later I read the topic she posted in a forum where she wrote to be a student.

However I think that the only way to test if my reaction was excessive or not is write the same kind of comment to another peer and wait for his/her reaction.

Good idea?

Bye

Antonella

I would not start a chain reaction of negative emotions this way.

What exactly is an \'overtranslation\'? Honestly, I have no idea. Is it really such a bad insult?

Antonella, you mentioned in every response that it was a STUDENT who offended you. I feel sad about that. I had hoped that, in this new era, substance would outrank status.

Without this reference to age/experience, you might have won your argument .

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ursula Mar 13, 2002

Actually I did not want to start any war at all!! But you ... probably got the point!

And since I do not want to start any war, I\'ll stop it and \'reserve the right\' to carry out my personal \'practical test\' in the future...

Proz.com is a great place, no doubt on this, and the existence of Kudoz Etiquette proves the need for it (for the Etiquette) that is many people need to read it before starting interacting with others, even students.

Personally I\'d never \'disagree\' and argue on a term translated by a peer, unless it is awfully wrong and \'dangerous\' for other people who could adopt that translation...

and this is the reason why I react as I did and don\'t regret it!

Thnak you Ursula.

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to PaLa Mar 13, 2002

You say brave....I like it but I would leave politics to politicians, you see we already get confused with Kudoz Etiquette... it\'s too much for us!

But from a general point of you, yes, I\'d say

before speaking or judging...just think about it for at least 30 sec. and you\'ll perhaps change your mind.

So I don\'t care being politically correct, I just care being \'correct\', that\'s already enough for me.

Bye

Antonella

[addsig]

Direct link

John Kinory
Local time: 21:56
English to Hebrew
+ ...
'Even students' Mar 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-13 07:52, Andreella wrote:

Proz.com is a great place, no doubt on this, and the existence of Kudoz Etiquette proves the need for it (for the Etiquette) that is many people need to read it before starting interacting with others, even students.

What is this huge chip you have on your shoulder about students? You\'ve already been told that every one of your postings makes some snide comment about them. And still you carry on doing it.

For your information, students are human beings too, and some of them even have two brain-cells to rub together. Why can\'t you stop being so superior to them?
[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to John Mar 14, 2002

Sorry John but you got me totally wrong...

I was a student too, you know...

No comments

[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To John Mar 14, 2002

I actually am superior to them, but ONLY thanks to my experience, not because of anything else. That\'s a fact, not an opinion.

[addsig]

Direct link

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To John Mar 14, 2002

I fear you read another forum, I cannot find anything wrong in my messages on students???

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does Kudoz Etiquette mean?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs