Platinium membership: what does it 'mean'?
Thread poster: Karina Vermeylen
Karina Vermeylen
Karina Vermeylen
Local time: 13:09
English to French
+ ...
Jan 15, 2004

I am a coming up freelance translator and the only thing I want to know is the meaning of platinium membership ? Don't answer me with the following : you pay and you get the platinium membership plus all the advantages. I know ... that is just what I mean. Paying doesn't prove anything.It doesn't prove your ability, capacity and knowledge of the language.

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:09
English to French
+ ...
a membership is a membership Jan 15, 2004

A membership is nothing more and nothing less than another membership. Have you never paid for being member of a tennis club, a former students association??? It gives you some priviledges as Blue Board but it does not give your customers without working.

I have got most of my customers on Proz. A first bid accepted by an agency or another translator, an agreement on a price satisfactory on both sides and then a long term partnership because the work was good enough.

It
... See more
A membership is nothing more and nothing less than another membership. Have you never paid for being member of a tennis club, a former students association??? It gives you some priviledges as Blue Board but it does not give your customers without working.

I have got most of my customers on Proz. A first bid accepted by an agency or another translator, an agreement on a price satisfactory on both sides and then a long term partnership because the work was good enough.

It gives you friends all over the world : friends you will perhaps never see but ready to spend an hour or two, sometimes at night to search a word you don't know, only to help you.

It is also an association of linguists : people who like their jobs, who like searching hours and hours to find the correct expression.

As a freelance translator, you are so member of an association of colleagues (friends) and for me it deserves the price to pay.

I do not try to convince you, I give you my opinion as I am platinium for three years now.
Collapse

Karina Vermeylen
Karina Vermeylen
Local time: 13:09
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Martine Jan 15, 2004

Je comprends tout à fait le sence d'être membre d'une association ainsi que je comprends que le rendement du site est important. Néanmoins certains traducteurs sont privés de répondre à une offre bien que
probablement ils sont ou pourraient être très capables.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Nothing to add Jan 15, 2004

Martine Etienne wrote:

It gives you friends all over the world : friends you will perhaps never see but ready to spend an hour or two, sometimes at night to search a word you don't know, only to help you.

It is also an association of linguists : people who like their jobs, who like searching hours and hours to find the correct expression.

As a freelance translator, you are so member of an association of colleagues (friends) and for me it deserves the price to pay.

I do not try to convince you, I give you my opinion as I am platinium for three years now.

It's a choice like any other.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Main Advantages of being Platinum Jan 15, 2004

The main advantage for me is being able to use the Blue Board without restrictions.

There are also indirect advantages such as:
Your association with a professional website
Your bids (for jobs) will be listed before bids made by non-paying members (if this is still the case)

However, the main reasons why I visit ProZ is to find translators and check the glossaries and for this you do not need to be a Platinum member. The reason why I contin
... See more
The main advantage for me is being able to use the Blue Board without restrictions.

There are also indirect advantages such as:
Your association with a professional website
Your bids (for jobs) will be listed before bids made by non-paying members (if this is still the case)

However, the main reasons why I visit ProZ is to find translators and check the glossaries and for this you do not need to be a Platinum member. The reason why I continue being a Platinum member is to offer my support. You rarely get anything for nothing and why should the ProZ experience have to be any different.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have nothing more to add to Martine's reply. Jan 15, 2004

Perfectly said.

Proud Platinum Member since about 2 years. I also support the site because there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Explore the site as a Bronze member for a while (I did at first) - you are restricted with the Blue Board, but you can use the other features. Then, if you like what ProZ has to offer, decide if you wish to join.

Cheers!
Lucinda

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
English, please Jan 16, 2004

Dear Karina, you opened this forum in English, so please be consistent.
Regards
-Agnieszka-

Karina Vermeylen wrote:

Je comprends tout à fait le sence d'être membre d'une association ainsi que je comprends que le rendement du site est important. Néanmoins certains traducteurs sont privés de répondre à une offre bien que
probablement ils sont ou pourraient être très capables.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The first job I got through Proz.com paid for the subscription Jan 16, 2004

I was lucky. Later jobs from the same client have not all been so big, but they come in, and we are getting to know each other as partners. I have had several enquiries like that.

By being a member I get Kudoz questions first, and by answering I build up a profile, so clients have a better idea of what I do. They have to sort somehow among the dozens with my language pairs, even in a 'small' language group!

I think Platinum membership shows you're serious, and that you
... See more
I was lucky. Later jobs from the same client have not all been so big, but they come in, and we are getting to know each other as partners. I have had several enquiries like that.

By being a member I get Kudoz questions first, and by answering I build up a profile, so clients have a better idea of what I do. They have to sort somehow among the dozens with my language pairs, even in a 'small' language group!

I think Platinum membership shows you're serious, and that you earn money somewhere, even if it doesn't prove you are a better translator. (Or which areas you are good at.)

Enjoy the site for all the other things you get out of it, and take an active part in it... Best of luck!
Collapse

djack
djack  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:09
English to Russian
+ ...
A little bit of a discordant note Jan 16, 2004

Being a platinum member has not given me any jod offers so far, and, frankly speaking, I think it won't in the foreseeable future. The only purpose I use it for is the possibility of viewing the Blue Board. I don't think I'll apply for its extension.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinium membership: what does it 'mean'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »