https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/1805-suggestion_for_new_forums%3A_chat_interpreters_classifieds.html

Suggestion for new forums: chat, interpreters, classifieds...
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 18, 2002

Hi Henry and all,

The forums are working great, in spite of the occasional run-for-your-lives flame but I think there are a couple of improvements and other areas of discussion that could be opened.

Here are two that I think would attract some interest from the users:

- Classifieds (for queries and offers of dictionaries, TM software and even house-swaps)

- Translator chat (why can\'t we have a chat forum for whe
... See more
Hi Henry and all,

The forums are working great, in spite of the occasional run-for-your-lives flame but I think there are a couple of improvements and other areas of discussion that could be opened.

Here are two that I think would attract some interest from the users:

- Classifieds (for queries and offers of dictionaries, TM software and even house-swaps)

- Translator chat (why can\'t we have a chat forum for when you just feel like shooting the breeze without necessarily being translatorish, rim-spetacled and geeky ?)

I would like to know how everybody else feels about the suggestions or if they have any other ideas for new forums.

Cheers,

ME

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 11:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 11:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 16:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 17:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 17:03 ]
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 18:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interpreter forum Mar 18, 2002

What about an interpreter section?

Maria Eugenia Farre
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely!!! Mar 18, 2002

Yes, an interpreter forum would be excellent!

Not to mention a little checkbox on your profile to indicate that you can also provide interpreting services!

ME

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 17:04 ]

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interpreter section/forum Mar 18, 2002

An interpreter section/forum has been suggested already two years ago and repeatedly afterwards as well - I\'m sure ProZ is giving it a lot of thought and sooner or later the above should appear on our screens

Have a nice day

[addsig]

Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interpreters Forum Mar 18, 2002

Henry, I\'m quite intereted in Forum of this kind. As an interpreter myself, I want to share the experience with other colleagues in this regard.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Direct on-line contacts are a great idea Mar 18, 2002

Unfortunatelly, web-based chat rooms tend to be rather clunky.

How about sharing our contact info for services like Messenger, ICQ, AOL, and MSN?

Yahoo! Messenger: dyran

AOL Instant Messenger: dyranx

MSN: [email protected]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Translator chat Mar 18, 2002

I had also given some thought about how nice it would be to have a shoot-the-breeze section. Ours is a very stressful profession (we are stressed because we have too much/not enough work; to work at home is great but it means that you are always in your workplace; etc.), and I think it would be nice to have a space reserved for useless talk, to unwind and to exchange views. You know, like, which movies you\'ve seen or books you\'ve read that you liked (or disliked), your opinions about general i... See more
I had also given some thought about how nice it would be to have a shoot-the-breeze section. Ours is a very stressful profession (we are stressed because we have too much/not enough work; to work at home is great but it means that you are always in your workplace; etc.), and I think it would be nice to have a space reserved for useless talk, to unwind and to exchange views. You know, like, which movies you\'ve seen or books you\'ve read that you liked (or disliked), your opinions about general issues (not related to translation), or related to but in a tangential way, like stress management and what do you do with shoulder, neck and back pain (a translator\'s scourge!). After all, we come from all the world over, and it would be precious to exchange opinions about things that are not work, agencies and KudoZ questions. What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-18 16:57 ]
Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 18, 2002

Quote:

I\'m sure ProZ is giving it a lot of thought and sooner or later the above should appear on our screens

Hi Evert,

Two years of thinking ? Beats hamlet...

Henry, don\'t think so hard, you\'re going to burn a fuse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Classifieds, definitely! Mar 18, 2002

Lots of us, or should I say lots of us in Argentina, are moving, and classifieds would be a great help. (Anybody looking for a house in Buenos Aires? )

And, is it that I\'m obsessed with this issue, or would an expat forum be a good idea?

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for new forums: chat, interpreters, classifieds...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »