Mobile menu

Off topic: What can I do with my BrowniZ? ('You can get discounted membership')
Thread poster: Hans G. Liepert

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:05
English to German
+ ...
Feb 20, 2004

What can I do with all the BrowniZ? I thought about selling thru E-Bay but didn't find an appropriate heading.

Direct link Reply with quote

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
I print them out and ... Feb 20, 2004

... use them as wallpaper. What with the poverty cult and all, we poor translators have to economise where we can.

Tny (just saved one letter - every little helps.)

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
you can Save $$ when you update your Platinum membership Feb 20, 2004

Hans Liepert wrote:

What can I do with all the BrowniZ? I thought about selling thru E-Bay but didn't find an appropriate heading.

A Platinum membership looks like an award, in my opinion. Anyway, it is and looks professional. I guess it attracts clients (but I don't think you need more clients).

[Edited at 2004-02-20 16:14]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:05
SITE FOUNDER
Browniz get you a discount Feb 20, 2004

The concept with browniz is that we want to give benefits to, and retain, the more active contributors. Browniz give us a rough way to track contributions.

Hans, your browniz total is now 5488. If that rises to 6000, you would be entitled to a discount of 40 euros on a future purchase of platinum membership.

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Feb 20, 2004

Henry wrote:

If that rises to 6000, you would be entitled to a discount of 40 euros on a future purchase of platinum membership.

Aah, that\'s the language I understand. Thank you, I really didn\'t think about.

Hans

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
6000 or 4000 browniZ for platinum part-payment? Feb 20, 2004

Henry wrote:

If that rises to 6000, you would be entitled to a discount of 40 euros on a future purchase of platinum membership.

6000 or 4000 browniZ, Henry?

in the FAQ (http://www.proz.com/?sp=faq#Platinum_payment) it says Platinum membership = $80 + 4000 browniZ; in my extend membership page it says €70 + 4000 browniZ. Or are there different levels, according to how many browniZ you have?

Roberta

[Edited at 2004-02-20 13:01]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:05
SITE FOUNDER
I was mistaken: its 4000, not 6000 browniz Feb 20, 2004

Thanks, Roberta, I was mistaken. Though we have considered raising it, the discount still kicks in at 4000 browniz, not 6000. The discount is in fact 40 euros/dollars.

The reason you see 70 euros as a renewal price is that there is an additional 10 euro discount for renewing before expiration of membership.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Now don't think you have brownies in excess.. Feb 20, 2004

Platinum members may also trade BrowniZ for Directory Text Ad impressions, at a rate of 10 BrowniZ per impression in the Freelancer Directory, and 50 BrowniZ per impression in the Agency Directory. A minimum outlay of 4000 BrowniZ is required.

See My Proz.com / My Text Ads

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
"po$itiv thinking" and other colourful ideas Feb 20, 2004

What about "po$itiv thinking"
For instance:
5 BrowniZ for an agree
3 BrowniZ for a neutral
1 BrowniZ for a disagree
Instead of 3 for each of them

Or what about a new kind of points for rejected answers?
For instance:
10 BlueiZ (or shorter "blues") for a rejected answer

[Edited at 2004-02-20 17:31]

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Why less for disagree and neutral? Feb 20, 2004

Henk Peelen wrote:

5 BrowniZ for an agree
3 BrowniZ for a neutral
1 BrowniZ for a disagree
Instead of 3 for each of them

I saw a suggestion like Henk's a short time ago in the forum. I don't understand why we should get less credits for a professional opinion, only because it tells the asker that this answer is NOT correct.

A disagree or neutral comment are not worth less than an agree, are they? They might very well help the asker to decide. I even see a PLUS for disagree or neutral comments: Mostly when they are given, the poster also enters a comment as to why he or she gives this disagree or neutral comment. Isn't this even more "work" than simply pressing ENTER to shoot out an empty agree comment?

[Edited at 2004-02-20 18:20]

Nigel Skipper
Swedish to English
The opposite is more fair Feb 20, 2004

If you disagree with a kudoz answer, you have to vindicate your opposition. Many people just agree witjout leaving a comment. I agree with Sundari - in fact, I think the awarded points should be the other way around! I fear a number of people just boost their Browniz by clicking on agree all th etime.
//Nigel

Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Could be Feb 20, 2004

Nigel Skipper wrote:

If you disagree with a kudoz answer, you have to vindicate your opposition. Many people just agree witjout leaving a comment. I agree with Sundari - in fact, I think the awarded points should be the other way around! I fear a number of people just boost their Browniz by clicking on agree all th etime.
//Nigel

If so, I'd like to propose:
"n€gativ thinking"
opinion..........annotator gets....answerer gets
agree............1 brownie.........1 brownie
neutral..........3 browniz.........1 blue
disagree.........5 browniz.........3 blues

Let's enlarge the rainbow sytem to this forum.
You agree with Sundari? OK, you both get 1 brownie. That could save you $ 0.01 on your Platinum membership.
Wow!

You both disagree with me?
OK, I get the blues! Six blues to be precise.

[Edited at 2004-02-21 06:59]

Sophieanne  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
English to French
+ ...
It's fine as it is Apr 27, 2004

I think the same number of points for agree, disagree and neutral is fine and fair.
It shows that we do not "agree" or "disagree" to get more points, but simply because we agree or disagree with an answer.

The equivalent number of points regardless is precisely what allows people to be true to what they think.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can I do with my BrowniZ? ('You can get discounted membership')

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs