Mobile menu

job poster contact information not shown (Staff: yes it is)
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex
Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
English to German
+ ...
Mar 27, 2002

Dear colleagues!

Once more, a potential job offer was posted today with not any information on how to contact the outsourcer. We are requested to send CV\'s whereby the bidding is supposed to be closed today. Gladly would I do so if I only knew how. A similar case was there about a week or two ago. Nothing has changed.

I can recall that this issue has been risen several times without any concrete reaction from the people responsible for the site\'s design.

Hereby I would like to address this once more to the moderators and to you, Henry. What are you doing or planning to do about this? I consider this quite a crucial issue putting a bad light on the site itself in terms of professional handling of simple technical stuff. Or don\'t I understand something essential?

Is it really such a problem to enforce outsourcers to leave, at least, an e-mail address in cases they are ignorant enough not to put it in themselves without having to remind them?

The job ID is

http://www.proz.com/job/?id=20056

Regards to all

Steffen

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 10:30 ]

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:20
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree Mar 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 09:18, S. Pollex wrote:

Dear colleagues!

Once more, a potential job offer was posed today with not any information on how to contact the outsourcer. We are requested to send CV\'s whereby the bidding is supposed to be closed today. Gladly would I do so if I only knew how.

I agree. I may be interested in contacting this potential customer, but I will not send my CV and my offer, nor translate a piece of text as a sample without knowing the outsourcer details.

This is my personal choice, of course.

I interpret this behaviour from an outsourcer as unprofessional (my opinion) and potentially abusive, so they don\'t get my offer, and I spend my time working for more quality conscious clients.

As freelancers, we are always free to choose who to work for and who is better to discard or avoid.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 12:50 ]

Direct link

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dilemma Mar 27, 2002

Hi,

we had a similar case GER>IT: an x-number of prospective pages to be translated a sample text and there was an \"address\" ???, an URL, which in English would sound \"www.noaddress.com\"

No need to say I asked for email address, phone number or whatever and refused to translate for what it looked like a short job for free. Two other colleagues did the same, but some other ones did bid... I guess the guy got his job done for free. It didn\'t look like a professional posting, but if it was, I hope the guy reads in our forums: translators ought to bid professionally, but job posters as well.

We should all agree that no sample texts should be translated, if no poster\'s contacts, of any kind, are available.

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 11:43 ]

Direct link

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:20
Member (2001)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You are absolutely right Mar 27, 2002

Yes I agree with you. It\'s unbelievable how this and other issue has been risen several times here and there without any concrete reaction or measure from the people responsible for the site\'s design.

Where are they ?

Direct link

Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Mar 27, 2002

The way of working of this web site is like of the Roman Empire with their slaves, now freelance translators.

We need Spartacus again!
[addsig]

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:20
SITE FOUNDER
Contact information is required - whether it is shown or not is up to the poster Mar 27, 2002

Steffen, Paulo,

You are wrong. This issue has been addressed. In fact, plenty of bids were entered for the job you note.

If you followed the previous discussions, or reviewed the job posting form, you would see that the change was made: Outsourcers are now prompted for contact information, including email address, at the time of job posting. They have to enter the information, but they have the right to decide whether or not to make it visible. In this case, the person decided not to make the email address visible (presumably because they wanted to manage bids via the ProZ.com interface.)

This is as far as we are inclined to go for the time being. We have no intention of requiring outsourcers to make their email addresses visible.

When accepted for a job, I recommend translators clarify all contact data directly with the outsourcer before starting work. But that is up to you.

I am locking this thread because the topic has already been discussed at length and we have done all we will be doing for now.

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:20
SITE FOUNDER
?? Mar 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 11:48, albertov wrote:

The way of working of this web site is like of the Roman Empire with their slaves, now freelance translators.

We need Spartacus again!

This is a curious analogy; I\'m not sure how I fit in. But your proposed remedy is even stranger. Do you know who Spartacus was or what happened to him and his followers?

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

job poster contact information not shown (Staff: yes it is)

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs