Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Professionalism - your forum postings are seen by potential clients
Thread poster: Karin Adamczyk
Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:15
French to English
Mar 27, 2002

I really wonder sometimes when I read postings in the various forums. I have seen an awful lot of unprofessional comments, flame wars, name calling and all sorts of nasty remarks.

This is supposed to be a professional translators\' forum. One of these reasons translators join is to attract more business. Job postings are not the only way we can attract new clients. In fact, I have not responded to more than one or two job postings, but I have gained several very good new clients based solely on my presence here.

I think a few people need to be reminded that they are not making comments in a vacuum. Your comments are not only seen by the people you are attacking, but also by potential clients. Some of the behaviour here is very childish and unprofessional. If I were looking for potential suppliers, I would look for people who make valuable contributions and who are able to maintain a professional image.

Karin Adamczyk

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Good point, Karin Mar 27, 2002

Given the number of search sites (google, etc.) that save posted pages in cache, it may be wise to assume that anything you post here will be accessible forever, whether you like it or not. Keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to post offensive messages. Ask yourself: Would you publish it in a book? Would you present it to a potential client or employer? What will your descendants think when they read it?

Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:15
English to Croatian
+ ...
Code of Ethics Mar 27, 2002

Dear Karin,

Thank you very, very much for initiating the discussion on the topic of professionalism and code of ethics.

In eight months or so since I\'m the member of this site I haven\'t got the expression that the majority of \"professionals\", members of this site are familiar with the ethics of the profession.

Every association of I/T\'s in the world is bound with the code of practice and the code of ethics.

What makes me cross regarding \"pros\" on this site is the same thing that you have just mentioned. Where is collegiality?

Let me quote Jean-Pierre Allain (I hope he wouldn\'t mind), the president of the Association Internationale des Interpreters de Conference. (The same code of ethics applies to translators.)

\"The main rules of ethical behaviour are:... not to accept any assignment for which one is not qualified; not to bring the profession into disrepute; to afford the colleagues moral assistance and collegiality....\"

To too many nasty coments one can come accros reading the answers to quests.

Henry should change the motto of the site. \"More than 30.000 language professionals\". Let\'s start to count.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
Professionalism = speak up and stand by your words Mar 27, 2002

Professionalism = speak up and stand by your words

Professionalism = identify problems (especially those that certain people want to sweep under the rug)

Professionalism = not allow oneself to be intimidated by certain people and their \"possees\" (= rent-a-mob) when speaking the truth

Professionalism = being a professional translator, rather than some \"self-anointed wanna-be\"

Professionalism = uphold, enforce and subscribe to rules of professional standards and ethics (the hallmark of accredited professionals; sadly, most others thumb their noses at such rules)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 15:25 ]

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:15
German to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Karin (for once!) Mar 27, 2002

...And that\'s all I have to say!

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I fully agree Mar 27, 2002

... with the need for professional behavior. Some people tend to use these discussions to try to convince others they have been touched by God\'s forefinger and chosen to represent Translators\' values, ethics, etc. I find this attitude childish and therefore unprofessional.

One usually needs to proof oneself how much one is worth at some time in life, and some tend to try to make themselves better by making others look worse. Bad strategy, not respecting other human beings (not only colleagues) however weird or wrong they might appear to us, only shows we are not worth much not only as translators but as human beings ...

The good thing about written communication is that it gives us a little extra time before delivering the message to the recipient ... let\'s take advantage of it not to post things we may regret one second later.

As Henry points out, this medium is far from anonymous. Have you tried introducing your full name or nickname in the search box of a search engine? A surprising experience!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
First Think Then Post Mar 27, 2002

Hi Karin,

you are right, we all should think before posting anything, a KudoZ answer as well

Giuliana
[addsig]

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:15
German to English
A professional also has manners Mar 27, 2002

\"When a man is positively rude, it is as if he had cast off all his clothes and stood before us naked. Of course, like most people in this condition, he cuts a poor figure.\" - Schopenhauer

A professional knows when to stop beating a dead horse. A professional knows where not to hang out his dirty laundry. A professional is a gentleman or a lady.

\"There is a natural good-breeding, which occurs to every man of common sense, and is practiced by every man of common good nature.\" - Lord Chesterfield

Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2002)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 14:36, Henry wrote:

Given the number of search sites (google, etc.) that save posted pages in cache, it may be wise to assume that anything you post here will be accessible forever, whether you like it or not. Keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to post offensive messages. Ask yourself: Would you publish it in a book? Would you present it to a potential client or employer? What will your descendants think when they read it?

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Very well put Kim! Mar 27, 2002

and also:

\"A gentleman is not condescending and does not aim for monopoly.

He gladly welcomes coactors and if he disagrees with someone, states that frankly and on what grounds but does not try to rob his opponent of his reputation or criticize his person.

If he looses the argument, he rejoices at having learnt and congratulates the one who knew better.\" MW 2002

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're so right... Mar 27, 2002

Totally agree, particularly with Karin and Henry. Thanks for bringing this up, let\'s hope everyone in the PROZ community takes a look + at least a moment of reflection.

As very well put, this goes not only to our kudoZ answers, but also \"smilies\" that are often everything but happy faces, what about scornful and mocking ones?

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
If only ... Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 18:09, MatsWiman wrote:

\"... congratulates the one who knew better.

... that were true!

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Fully agree Mar 28, 2002

[Nothing to add here. That\'s what it\'s all about.]

On 2002-03-27 14:36, Henry wrote:

[/quote]

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
All these sentiments are very true in principle ... Mar 28, 2002

... but at least one of those expressing them sent me a whole string of rude emails a few days ago, because I happen to disagree with this person on a matter relating to Proz policy.

Fine principles are all very well. What is more important, however, is how they are put into practice.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-29 13:34 ]

Yubing YANG
English to Chinese
+ ...
Professionalism = speak up and stand by your words Mar 28, 2002

The forums here are ideal channels to meet with translators from around the world. share views, exchange information. If we forget about \"money matters\", and the forum is still full of life, then forum of this kind is not designed for full-time freelancer, agencies or something which Henry and his colleagues would not waste any time on.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professionalism - your forum postings are seen by potential clients

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs