Mobile menu

\'Confessions of a translator\' or Bummers made by ourselves, and how to avoid them
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 28, 2002

Well, maybe we\'re not ready to have a \'Red Board of Agencies Commenting on Translators\', but what about some \'confessions of translators\':

Why don\'t we share some of our bad experiences related to translation/proofreading/editing projects we completed or tried to complete?

We all make mistakes (I assume ) and I\'m pretty sure that some of our own bummers did teach us a good lesson, hence they could prove to be a good warning to others.

In the end we may come up with some surprising good rules of thumb to remember, who knows?

No need to say that the opposite would be true as well, as I\'m also convinced we may learn a lot from success stories.

What about it? Good or bad idea?

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here goes one: Mar 28, 2002

...and I\'ll never never get over it:

\"RACCOON EYES\"

My translation into Spanish: \"marcas de ataque por mapache\" (signs of raccoon attack)

Of course you all know what it means: EQUIMOSIS PERIORBITAL.

Oh goddess, now you all know...

xxxTanuki
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Paul, that is a very nice one! Mar 28, 2002

I would almost be flattered, (being a Tanuki, you know...)

)

Very very nice indeed!

)

A raccoon attack!

)

Do not worry, as a Tanuki I did worse ones. Hum.

Thank you for telling that.

Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paul, equimosis periorbital : of course we all know :) Mar 28, 2002

but have you ever been attacked by raccoons?Your eyes might then indeed have shown \"marcas de ataque por mapache\"

Good start..., albeit a short one.

[addsig]

Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought Mar 28, 2002

Paul, I reposted your reply here.

Paul Roigé

English>Spanish

French>Spanish

Spanish>English

+ ...

Platinum

5:52pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...but my client wasn\'t at all impressed. In fact, he never called me back. Moraleja: that was the one mistake I made in a 3000-word translation and made it stink like a Mac-rubbish bin.

Good idea of yours, can\'t wait for others

---------------------------------------------

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-28 17:58 ]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Howlers from radio stations and press agencies (or from those monitoring them) Mar 28, 2002

LATEST THING IN LETTER BOMBS:

4-50 1050 Washington: American Physicists’ Society says nuclear arms can destroy world and should not be used in letter sent to world leaders (no comment)

ANOTHER BLACK DAY AT THE SOCK EXCHANGE

(From a Moscow Radio program preview)

I Serve the Soviet Onion

(text) Our special correspondent Petr Pelekhov reports from Baykonur cosmodrome:

The cosmonauts Leonid Kizim and Vladimir Solovyev, who recently completed a 125-day space flight, are with growing confidence regaining earthly form.

The British Premier Margaret Thatcher has refused in her letter to the Soviet leadership the plan of the USSR for the entire eradication of the USSR till 2000, our permanent correspondent in London reports. . .

Ustinov today received head of chief of staff of Vietnamese army.

1. (slug rpt) Brezhnev and Danish Queen exchanged.

President Kenneth Kaunda today proclaimed the demolition of the Zambian Parliament.

11. (slug) The bowels of Krasnoyarsk Kray produce 2,000,000 cu.m. of natural gas a day.

Special purpose units of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry are protecting the vicinity of the government building in Bishkek, carrying rubber buttons.

(British TU delegation in N. Vietnam)

For her part, Mrs. Joan Maynard, member of the delegation, expressed the British women’s sympathy with and support for the Vietnamese people and pledged to contribute her vest with the British women and labouring people to render more effective support to the Vietnamese people’s resistance. (VNA, September 1970)

All middle schools. . . must give students thorough instruction in driving vehicles and tractors as quickly as possible . . . (Pyongyang home service)

Comrades having a keen sense of smell immediately realised that the emergence of this tendency of extravagant eating and drinking marked a new trend in class struggle and that it was consequently necessary to heighten one’s vigilance.

This gust of evil wind was fanned up by the class enemies.

The British aircraft-carrier Illustrious has flown off for the Falklands.

23. A Danish plane crashed in Hangover.

MOST JAPANESE COMPANIES RUTHLESSLY LAY OUT WORKERS AND EMPLOYEES WHEN THEY TURN FIFTY.

Kirilenko: My family is a tremendous pillar of support for me . . . I have a very stable and reliable rear. I am extremely grateful to my wife for this. And I love her very much.

Lee Kuan Yew’s hopes on the Chinese New Year In his message to the nation on the Chinese New Year, reported by Singapore Radio on 28th January, the Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew, pointed out that only 26,000 Chinese babies had been born in the year that was ending, the Year of the Tiger. He expressed the hope “that we can do better in this Year of the Rabbit”.

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Marvelous! Mar 29, 2002

Great contribution, Jack!

I can\'t stop laughing!

Many thanks!

Rich

Quote:

On 2002-03-28 19:50, jdoughty wrote:

LATEST THING IN LETTER BOMBS:

4-50 1050 Washington: American Physicists’ Society says nuclear arms can destroy world and should not be used in letter sent to world leaders (no comment)

ANOTHER BLACK DAY AT THE SOCK EXCHANGE

(From a Moscow Radio program preview)

I Serve the Soviet Onion

(text) Our special correspondent Petr Pelekhov reports from Baykonur cosmodrome:

The cosmonauts Leonid Kizim and Vladimir Solovyev, who recently completed a 125-day space flight, are with growing confidence regaining earthly form.

The British Premier Margaret Thatcher has refused in her letter to the Soviet leadership the plan of the USSR for the entire eradication of the USSR till 2000, our permanent correspondent in London reports. . .

Ustinov today received head of chief of staff of Vietnamese army.

1. (slug rpt) Brezhnev and Danish Queen exchanged.

President Kenneth Kaunda today proclaimed the demolition of the Zambian Parliament.

11. (slug) The bowels of Krasnoyarsk Kray produce 2,000,000 cu.m. of natural gas a day.

Special purpose units of the Kyrgyz Interior Ministry are protecting the vicinity of the government building in Bishkek, carrying rubber buttons.

(British TU delegation in N. Vietnam)

For her part, Mrs. Joan Maynard, member of the delegation, expressed the British women’s sympathy with and support for the Vietnamese people and pledged to contribute her vest with the British women and labouring people to render more effective support to the Vietnamese people’s resistance. (VNA, September 1970)

All middle schools. . . must give students thorough instruction in driving vehicles and tractors as quickly as possible . . . (Pyongyang home service)

Comrades having a keen sense of smell immediately realised that the emergence of this tendency of extravagant eating and drinking marked a new trend in class struggle and that it was consequently necessary to heighten one’s vigilance.

This gust of evil wind was fanned up by the class enemies.

The British aircraft-carrier Illustrious has flown off for the Falklands.

23. A Danish plane crashed in Hangover.

MOST JAPANESE COMPANIES RUTHLESSLY LAY OUT WORKERS AND EMPLOYEES WHEN THEY TURN FIFTY.

Kirilenko: My family is a tremendous pillar of support for me . . . I have a very stable and reliable rear. I am extremely grateful to my wife for this. And I love her very much.

Lee Kuan Yew’s hopes on the Chinese New Year In his message to the nation on the Chinese New Year, reported by Singapore Radio on 28th January, the Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew, pointed out that only 26,000 Chinese babies had been born in the year that was ending, the Year of the Tiger. He expressed the hope “that we can do better in this Year of the Rabbit”.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-29 07:50 ]

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Holy Moses! Ecchymosis! Mar 29, 2002

But anyway,

Happy yeaster...for all your bread....

Rich...rising to the occasion...with some levity

Quote:

On 2002-03-28 17:26, Roigé wrote:

...and I\'ll never never get over it:

\"RACCOON EYES\"

My translation into Spanish: \"marcas de ataque por mapache\" (signs of raccoon attack)

Of course you all know what it means: EQUIMOSIS PERIORBITAL.

Oh goddess, now you all know...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-29 08:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-29 08:39 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\'Confessions of a translator\' or Bummers made by ourselves, and how to avoid them

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs