Thread poster: surfish
surfish  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:32
Member (2004)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 24, 2004

I find that there is no difference between payment member and non-payment member with respect to job opportunities.

I will withdraw my money back if this is true.

Hope to hear more opinions from colleagues!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-24 16:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
There IS a difference May 24, 2004

Many jobs are posted with the proviso "platinum only" for a certain period. This means that, as a platinum member, you can bid on jobs that non-platinums cannot even see.
Or are you referring to something else?

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Also May 24, 2004

you are listed on the first page in the Directory, you're featured on the home page and have unlimited access to Blue Board. All this enhances your job opportunites.

Magda

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 24, 2004

[Edited at 2004-06-13 15:17]

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Do not forget the Blue Board May 24, 2004

This is one of the main reasons to be a paying member of Proz, i.e. unlimited access to the Blue Board. The first check you have to make before accepting a new job is about the reliability of the company that's offering it to you (through Proz or directly). Otherwise you could find yourself in a very difficult position: having worked but not being paid.

The site has many other assets, which you appreciate over time... keep visiting it, read forum postings, participate...

Regards
Domenica

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't forget the web hosting service May 24, 2004

I have been a member of Proz for a long time, but have never received a job directly from the site (rates are just not anywhere near high enough). However, because I am a platinum member, I receive numerous e-mails from potential clients.

In addition to the BlueBoard, Platinum members also receive free web hosting. My previous provider charged me $10 a month just for my website. $10 x 12 months = $120. Thus, for the same price, I can have a website and enjoy all the other benefits of being a platinum member.

I also like reading the forum postings and I occasionally make heavy use of the search glossaries (yes, these are free for non-paying members, but keeping a website up and running costs money and I am willing to pay a modest amount to ensure the continuation of a service I enjoy).

I find that the people who complain most about having to pay for a membership on this site are the ones who are depending too heavily on this site as a sole source of work/income. Given the low prices offered by many outsourcers, the result is often a vicious circle.

Review the list of additional benefits offered to Platinum members. If you can find added value in these other benefits (such as the web hosting service and BlueBoard in my case), then you can consider any additional job opportunities you acquire as an added bonus of membership rather than the sole purpose for the same.

[Edited at 2004-05-24 22:55]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It takes time May 24, 2004

I can see that you are a paying member starting this month! One colleague already pointed out that the possibility of getting jobs through bidding is slim. Just be patience and you'll see that the Platinum membership will yield good results. I reiterate what another colleague said: participate in the site; let others know you.

Best of luck!

Elías Sauza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advantages of being a paying member

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs