Job posting: \"translator is LOOKING for a job\"
Thread poster: Lydia Molea

Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:55
English to German
+ ...
Apr 12, 2002

I just saw a job posting, \"translator is LOOKING for a job\", http://www.proz.com/job/?id=20756. This guy offers 16 language combinations! He must be a genius. And he doesn\'t even have a profile on ProZ! I did not even realize you could post a \"looking for\" ad in the job posting section. Is this ProZ-legal?

Direct link

Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
And the guy got 20 bids on his posting! Apr 12, 2002

I saw this ad too. The most interesting thing is that the guy got 20 bids after that!

Maybe some of our colleagues are applying for no-matter-what-job, not even reading through the job advertisement? Otherwise how on earth is it possible to collect 20 bids when you are actually LOOKING for a job yourself?

Direct link

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:55
German to English
+ ...
Support Request Apr 12, 2002

I have sent a support request to check this \"job offer\". It will probably take a little while to remove it.

The \"job offers\" on the German-English site this morning are a sad story....

Direct link

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How theater-of-the-absurdish! Apr 12, 2002

What I liked better is the \"translations it doesnt matter\" message. One almost hears the poor guy sighing heavily at the pointlessness of human existence: \"it doesnt matter... SIGH!\"

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-12 16:17 ]

Direct link

Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agencies maybe? Apr 12, 2002

It scares me to think this, but maybe agencies placed bids on that \"job posting\", actually offering a job? I hope not! Whatever happened to quality?

Direct link

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
This guy is not a genius, but a nutter Apr 12, 2002

Any agency that falls for that deserves to lose money.

In my book, 2 active target languages is the most anyone can do (without jeopardizing quality).

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Those 20 bids are not real either.... Apr 12, 2002

Please be assured that those 20 bids are not acctual bids, rather responses from other members like you letting the poster know that their post is not appropriate. This posting will be removed.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting: \"translator is LOOKING for a job\"

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs