Mobile menu

:) From Gerard Hoffnung: French widow affords delightful prospects (translation humor)
Thread poster: Silvina Beatriz Codina

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2002

In a thread I posted a few days ago about involuntarily funny translations, someone quoted the translation about a \"French widow in every room, affording delightful prospects. In fact this \"translation\" is apocryphal: it is part of a piece written by musician and humorist Gerard Hoffnung, purported to be a letter from a Tyrolean hotel owner in response to a query.

I thought you will like to read the whole text (or I think it is the whole text). Even if it is not a true translation, it is indeed a case of \"se non è vero, è ben trovato\" (meaning, it is not as if we\'ve never seen this kind of \"translation\"). Enjoy!

Dear Madam: I am honorable to accept your impossible request. Unhappy it is, I here have not bedroom with bath. A bathroom with bed I have. I can, though, give you a washing, with pleasure, in a most clean spring with no one to see. I insist that you will like this... I am amazing diverted by your entreaty for a room. I can offer you a commodious chamber with balcony imminent to the romantic gorge, and I hope that you want to drop in. A vivacious stream washes my doorsteps, so do not concern yourself that I am not too good in bath, I am superb in bed. Sorrowfully I cannot abide your auto... Having freshly taken over the propriety of this notorious house, I am wishful that you remove to me your esteemed costume. Standing among savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a french widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects. I give personal look to the interior wants of each guests. Here, you shall be well fed-up and agreeably drunk. Our charges for weekly visitors are scarcely creditable. Peculiar arrangements for gross parties, our motto is \"ever serve you right!\"

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:02
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hoffnung's hotel letter Apr 18, 2002

Thank you for printing the full text of this. I knew it was from a book by Hoffnung but I couldn\'t find the book and the \"French widow\" was just one phrase from it which had stuck in my mind.

Thanks again!

Jack Doughty.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

:) From Gerard Hoffnung: French widow affords delightful prospects (translation humor)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs