Thread poster: Paulo Celestino Guimaraes

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:51
Member (2001)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 19, 2002

I have noticed lately that KudoZ questions has being used in order to obtain solutions for sample test translations.

What do you think?

Personally, I am against this kind of practice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yubing YANG
English to Chinese
+ ...
Kudo Z being abused Apr 19, 2002

Paulo, you said what I wanted to say!

Some people use Kudo Z for rows of terms/sentences/text, and there\'re generous professional who respond and some of them do not take time to grade the answers. I do not expect such restrictions, but I do encourage professionals oppose such practice and do not respond to such these askers.

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:51
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Someone else who hasn't quite grasped the intention of KudoZ Apr 19, 2002

Posted yesterday on the Dutch>English Board.

De Laboratoriumtechnieken in het hoogheemraadschap van Rijnland

De Laboratoriumtechnieken in het hoogheemraadschap van Rijnland

Rijnland heeft een fysisch-chemisch en een hydrobiologisch lab om de kwaliteit van water, waterbodem en afvalwater in de gaten te kunnen houden.

je hebt 3 teams van laboratoriumtechnieken binnen het hoogheemraadschap van Rijnland.

De 3 teams zijn:

1. instrumentele: techniek, materialen

2. MHO: monster en hydrobiologisch onderzoek

3. Chemisch fysisch team

Het instrumentele team is meer aan het destilleren. Ze meten voor specifieke absorptie materiaal.

een voordeel: je hoeft niet zelf te pipetteren.

een nadeel: apparatuur kan heel snel stuk gaan.

Monster en hydrobiologisch onderzoek (MHO)

In een hydrobiologisch lab wordt onderzoek gedaan naar het leven van planten en dieren in het water.

Hier ga je kijken naar:

hogere waterplanten

eencellige microscopische planten

watervlooien, kevertjes etc.

In een hydrobiologisch lab worden stereomicroscopen gebruikt. Dat zijn microscopen waar men met 2 ogen door moet kijken. De beestjes die je bekijkt worden gesorteerd en met formules kun je nagaan of de kwaliteit van het water goed of slecht is.

Een verschil met het chemisch fysisch team is tijdsaspect. Bij chemisch heb je alleen een monster, dus je weet niets over de leefgemeenschap. Je weet niet wat er in de periode gebeurd kan zijn. Terwijl bij hydrobiologisch weet je/kun je onderzoeken wat er gebeurd kan zijn met de leefgemeenschap in die periode.

Chemisch fysisch

In het chemisch fysisch lab worden analyses gedaan. Hier worden de gehaltes aan zware metalen, bestrijdingsmiddelen, chloride, zuurstof, fosfaat en stikstof vastgelegd.

In de weegkamer en \'droogkamer \' weeg je slib af met water. Dit doe je in een stoof met een temperatuur van 100 graden celcius. Deze worden in \'robot \' geplaatst en daar wordt de vochtigheid bepaald van 40% en de temperatuur. Om de zoveel tijd gaat hij de kroesjes wegen(een voor een). De gegevens worden door de robot doorgegeven aan de computer. De computer zegt dan of het goed of slecht is.

Asker: FRM

Apr 18

All that was missing was an \"URGENT\" at the bottom!

Federica Jean  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
English to Italian
+ ...
In what way is it different from getting advice on a translation you are being paid for? Apr 19, 2002

I personally take a rather lenient view on the practice. After all, there are lots of questions posted on paid translations and in some cases the asker clearly has no clue about what the text is all about. There is even somebody getting help on her dissertation, which includes translating a novel... Is this fair?

Well, why not? What you get on ProZ is advice, which may be highly qualified or terribly misguiding, depending on whom answers to the query, but also on how well you described your problem (e.g., if you do not provide enough context, you are likely to get useless answers). Then, you have to select the most appropriate answer, which may be far from easy if you do not have a thorough understanding of the subject. That is why so many \"wrong\" answers are selected.

What I mean is, when you post a question you do not obtain \"a solution\". You get advice. What you do with it is up to you and to your own capabilities as a translator. From this point of view, whilst ProZ is a great resource, it still is a resource, just like good dictionaries and powerful search engines. Everything depends on how well you use it.

So, whilst it is infuriating that so many people call themselves \"translators\" when they clearly have no reason to do so, based on the kind of questions they post on a regular basis, I do not think that getting help on ProZ can really make a big difference in the quality of their work. You know, I even think it rather commendable of them to seek help. I know some really bad \"translators\" who would never dream of asking for advice!

In my view, the real issue is not making fine ethical distinctions about the cases in which one is entitled to seek help and those in which one isn\'t.

The real problem, which is being discussed in many interesting threads in this site I recommend you to read, is how to turn translation into the highly qualified and recognized profession it should be. As long as it is considered as little more than a hobby which just about anybody and his MT software can do, we are not going anywhere.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ is for terms, not sentences or paragraphs Apr 19, 2002

Hi.

KudoZ rules of etiquette - as posted by ProZ - clearly state that the purpose of KudoZ is *terminology* research, not the translation of phrases, sentences or paragraphs.

Now personally, I wouldn\'t apply this too strictly if someone just has one or two sentences, perhaps explaining why they have a specific problem.

If, however, someone starts posting a string of sentences, contact the moderator(s) for the language pair in question. Tempting as it may be, I would suggest to refrain from commenting directly - sadly, experience has shown that these discussions quickly turn nasty.

Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
PICARESCA STRIKES BACK! Apr 19, 2002

And so on...
[addsig]

ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Abusing and those who are abused. How to avoid. Apr 19, 2002

Indeed, experience shows: in some situations the people participating in the site\'s life can be divided into honest and, say, less honest

To avoid this way of abusing we have 2 means:

1. An outsourcer should know that s/he must trace KudoZ questions in the specific linguistic pair concerning her/his test. This should be a way to avoid an idiotic situation when instead of someone\'s personal skills one has to evaluate a collective pro result.

2. A moderator (or any other site\'s member \"as smart as the abuser\") can place in her/his bid on the same job with a test the URL(s) idicating KudoZ questions from the test. Of course, it is too far from \"fair play\". Certainly, via this way \"smugglers\" may also abuse honest competitors (I am sure you will understand my reasons to avoid description of these ways here ... However, I think that, in the cases cited above and concerning that periodically arising problem of abusing KudoZ by pieces of tests, it might help.

One old Spanish proverb says (sorry if my citation is wrong and translation \"too free\"): To outwit a swindler one must have a swindler and a half.

I am sure that good outsourcers read our forums as well and may easily deduce the right solution themselves.

Yours,

Tagir.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudo Z being used for sample test translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs