Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What does it cost to answer a Kudoz question?
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez
Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 26, 2002

Proz has been an important forum for the community of translators. It has been helpful in more than one way. I wish to raise a toast to those who are helping in answering Kudoz questions. A lot has been written about Kudoz questions, Kudoz points, quashing of questions, Kudoz etiquette, Kudoz abuse etc etc.

But I would like to have members’ opinion about the cost of answering a Kudoz question in terms of time spent on answering, the research done, Internet cost and finally the valuable expertise made available to the community of translators. It apparently looks like it is free of cost. But can members assess the real worth of the expertise, which is made available gratis by the translators. What is your opinion?

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:16
SITE FOUNDER
...and what is it worth? Apr 26, 2002

I would also like to hear feedback on what economic value there is in being able to participate in the KudoZ network (asking and answering). Do you finish jobs more quickly (thereby completing more words and making more money)? Or have you formed relationships which have in turn resulted in economic benefit? Maybe you found a client through KudoZ?

In line with Telesforo\'s question, I am curious about the economics of KudoZ. (Community and educational aspects have been discussed elsewhere.)

Dr. Fred Thomson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:16
German to English
Not cost-free, but worth the time and effort Apr 26, 2002

My greatest cost is the Hell I catch from my wife for spending too much time at the computer.

Answering questions does cost time and money, but the rewards are significant: I have contact with people whose mind-sets are a lot like mine; I learn new words every day; I enjoy the mild competition engendered by the wish to provide the best possible answer; and I could list more, but I\'ll leave that for others.
[addsig]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:16
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
A Positive Balance Apr 26, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-04-26 17:37, Henry wrote:

Do you finish jobs more quickly (thereby completing more words and making more money)?

Hi,

No, I don\'t, but I think I am better \"organized\" or more active than I used to be. Now I manage to do my work, follow KudoZ questions and read postings I am interested in at the same time. Some colleagues\' posted questions and answers turned out to be useful for my own translations. I would say they made me save some research time

KudoZ and Forums are my T\'ai Chi personal trainer, perfect against stress...

\"Or have you formed relationships which have in turn resulted in economic benefit?\"

Yes, I did. I got to know a good number of colleagues (both through KudoZ or Forums), some of them personally, and some pretty strong contacts have ended up in a cooperation of some sort: a mutual job \"passing\", exchange of personal experiences, \"policies\"....

Reading the postings I got to know colleagues from other SCs and this has lead to further contacts, job opportunities for me and for other colleagues I had contacted or who had contacted me. You can learn and understand a lot in KudoZ from and about your colleagues.

\"Maybe you found a client through KudoZ?\"

I think I was lucky: yes, more than one and definitely \"external\" contacts for perspective future projects.

Facit: without KudoZ and Forums no way for me to get in touch with so many colleagues at once. This is an asset to me. I am in several MLs, they\'re helping, too, but contacts develop inside MLs somehow more slowly. I think it is the interface, the pictures, the icons, the many colors that make this virtual world of ours less static than a message send to a list and forwarded to you. Proz is more personal and immediate in all its aspects, both of private and of strictly professional nature.

Cheers,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-27 06:25 ]

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Cheers Giuliana, you said it. Apr 26, 2002

All this, and some contacts with warm and knowledgeable people despite working \"im stillen Kämmerlein\". I can easily spend an hour on a very difficult question when the answer is something I want to know. The award is not the points. But the feeling I have when I finally find the right answer. If the asker chooses someone else, who care.

The negative points: The stupid questions. But this has definitely been getting better. Or maybe I am so busy I do not see many of them.

Greetings to all my friends and to Telesforo who is a knowledgeable person with a great and critical mind.

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Positive economic effect Apr 26, 2002

I would say that Kudoz has had a positive economic effect for me for two reasons: it can save a lot of research time, therefore meaning I can finish a job quicker and take another one on (more $) and also the quality of my translations have improved thanks to Proz who have steered me in the right direction or given me a specific industry term, meaning clients are impressed and have confidence to give me more work.

While Kudoz can often save me a lot of research time, I just want to point out that I only ask questions once I have exhausted all my dictionaries, specialized glossaries and some internet searches. However, without being able to ask Kudoz questions one could easily spend hours or days looking for references for that one term.

As for answering questions, I don\'t put a lot of research time into questions because if I have to research the term, that means I don\'t know it and don\'t feel qualified enough to give an answer. If I have a dictionary handy, I\'ll look it up for the person but the time spent answering Kudoz has not negatively affected my productivity.

[addsig]

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
There are no costs IF…. Apr 26, 2002

There are no costs if one has the skill and stamina needed to hold a 3rd or better position in a language combination on the KudoZ ranking list. One gets so many unsolicited job offers that it is embarrassing. When one then, due to the KudoZ generated heavy workload, falls to 4th or lower, there are suddenly no job offers at all. None! That’s when the costs appear in form of having to spend hour after hour answering questions to claw back a job generating position.

Henry asks: \"Maybe you found a client through KudoZ?\"

A better question would be: \"How many new clients do you find per day through KudoZ?\"

===========================================

Let me present my case in a different way:

I used to translate 6 hour per day for USD .07 per word.

Then came Henry with ProZ and KudoZ.

Now I am playing KudoZ 2 hours per day, earning nothing, and translating 4 hours per day for USD .13 per word.

Thank you Henry!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-26 21:30 ]

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
No clients through KudoZ Apr 26, 2002

Forget the clients, they are not to be had through proZ or KudoZ. We all know that.

You find (virtual) friends (or foes). I am grateful for all I have learned and all contacts I\'ve made. That\'s a lot already.

xxxartemisia  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-26 18:55, Germtran wrote:

My greatest cost is the Hell I catch from my wife for spending too much time at the computer.

Gosh, Fred, I am happy to read I am not the only one... David, my significan other, yealls at me all day long as he can hardly use our home PC

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Community and educational aspects only! Apr 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-26 17:37, Henry wrote:

In line with Telesforo\'s question, I am curious about the economics of KudoZ. (Community and educational aspects have been discussed elsewhere.)

No, Henry, no new clients, no business growth through ProZ. Practically nothing in purely business terms.

Answering KudoZ also costs: in terms of time spent and sometimes they are irritating , but the community and educational aspects (discussed elsewhere)are why we are here.

I wonder if this is true for all language pairs? And for all geographical locations? It seems true for my language pair (the jobs offered are mostly pathetic), but we have a lot of fun and brainstorming with KudoZ.

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-26 21:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-26 21:41 ]

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Definitely worthwhile Apr 26, 2002

...but difficult to give it a cash value. In my language pair the Kudoz network has enabled me to meet people and get more work contacts. Perhaps more importantly, it has frequently helped me finish jobs when I have been stuck. I contribute whenever possible, with many a 15/20 minute session as I try to double check my assumptions before speaking up (this is par for the course though, and I like to take a break from my translation activities about once every 90 minutes). I have said in the past that I would be willing to pay a fee for the service, though I consider 120 dollars rather high - especially if the subscriber is expected to to balance \"deposits\" and \"withdrawals\". My main worry is that the really experienced people - the ones I always hope are browsing the forum when I send in a problem - are perhaps sometimes dissuaded from attending because of a glut of superficial and pointless questions and a shortage of authoritative contributors. I believe that the system needs to pull out all the stops to create a virtuous circle - with skills attracting more skills. This would mean limiting access by the \"I love you\" brigade and dissuading \"glory seekers\" from answering anything they can read at twenty paces with strong glasses, irrespective of language skills and specific knowledge.

I know a couple of people who could bring valuable resources to the forum, but I need to convince them that they would be able to find specific expertise for their own work rather than just assist others.

Finally, some sectors are covered well, such as medicine, literature, economics, etc., but technology, in my opinion, is under-represented (at least in Italian - English).

Total Respect

Derek

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
Clients through KudoZ? A race? Apr 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-26 20:32, sven wrote:

There are no costs if one has the skill and stamina needed to hold a 3rd or better position in a language combination on the KudoZ ranking list. One gets so many unsolicited job offers that it is embarrassing. When one then, due to the KudoZ generated heavy workload, falls to 4th or lower, there are suddenly no job offers at all. None! That’s when the costs appear in form of having to spend hour after hour answering questions to claw back a job generating position.

Henry asks: \"Maybe you found a client through KudoZ?\"

A better question would be: \"How many new clients do you find per day through KudoZ?\"

===========================================

Let me present my case in a different way:

I used to translate 6 hour per day for USD .07 per word.

Then came Henry with ProZ and KudoZ.

Now I am playing KudoZ 2 hours per day, earning nothing, and translating 4 hours per day for USD .13 per word.

Thank you Henry!

Sven, you get clients by maintaining an informative profile and, quite simply, by being good at what you do, not by moving up the KudoZ ladder. If that were the case, I would not get any clients through ProZ (my KudoZ position is something like 35th or so). However, I am constantly contacted by very good clients (even the Securities and Exchange Commission) through my profile.

So, no need to work yourself into a frenzy and risk having a heart attack over defending your KudoZ position.

Sven, you are an expert in your fields, and any jobs you get, you\'ll get based on your expertise. Sure, KudoZ is a small window on that expertise, but, by and large, it is your CV that matters, not your points.

In other words, to put it more bluntly, dropping down a few notches won\'t kill your career!

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I owe a lot to ProZ Apr 26, 2002

\"But I would like to have members’ opinion about the cost of answering a Kudoz question in terms of time spent on answering, the research done, Internet cost and finally the valuable expertise made available to the community of translators. It apparently looks like it is free of cost. But can members assess the real worth of the expertise, which is made available gratis by the translators. What is your opinion? \"

I have a lot of things to say, but as it is in English and Henry says that community and educational aspects have already been discussed, I think I\'m going to make it shorter. Sorry for possible mistakes.

I discovered ProZ through KudoZ. Just answering, because I had no job. Sometimes I spend a lot of time on a single question. Not all the 4 points for answering have the same value. I discovered people who work in the same languages, those who answer, those who ask and those who do both.

Now I have work. I don\'t know if it is thanks to KudoZ or thanks to ProZ, because I didn\'t meet all the people on KudoZ, but may be the KudoZ ranking list has helped. And since then I have needed help, and I have saw the other side, being an asker and having several answers, all qualified (may be sometimes there\'re bad answers, but generally I think the level is good), and I think it is fantastic ! It really is a great system. But may be I can appreciate the value it has because I have been in the position of answerer.

\"I would also like to hear feedback on what economic value there is in being able to participate in the KudoZ network (asking and answering). Do you finish jobs more quickly (thereby completing more words and making more money)? Or have you formed relationships which have in turn resulted in economic benefit? Maybe you found a client through KudoZ? \"

Since I really work, I use Kudoz to go faster. Sometimes my questions are easy, but the answers help me to go straight to the information. And sometimes the question seems easy and someone notices that there is another possibility.

So this goes in support of what you want to hear, Henry, but I have always appreciated that access is free (just in case you were thinking on make it payable). There are some aspects I don\'t appreciate, but I\'m not going to speak about them.

And now that I am a real user, as asker and answerer, I think I owe some of my time to answer when I have less work, and I don\'t like the frecuent askers that just ask and never participate on answering. I think it is a very selfish behaviour. If we want it to work based on solidarity it must be for every one. I hope you understand my ideas as clearly as I do.

Regards

Claudia

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
Confidence-booster? Apr 27, 2002

Claudia wrote:

Quote:

Now I have work. I don\'t know if it is thanks to KudoZ or thanks to ProZ, because I didn\'t meet all the people on KudoZ, but may be the KudoZ ranking list has helped. And since then I have needed help, and I have saw the other side, being an asker and having several answers, all qualified (may be sometimes there\'re bad answers, but generally I think the level is good), and I think it is fantastic ! It really is a great system. But may be I can appreciate the value it has because I have been in the position of answerer.

Maybe it gave you the necessary amount of self-confidence to go out there and offer your services. This could be a factor that should not be overlooked, I think.

Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Personal satisfaction Apr 27, 2002

I have not derived any economic benefits other than personal satisfaction from helping others. I don’t consider myself a translator, I just do translations. I am an interpreter by profession so I think that has helped me come up with terms on the spot, since I have to do this on a daily basis. I’ve also learned quite a bit from the questions posed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does it cost to answer a Kudoz question?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs