Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2002

Someone posted something recently about not being able to award points herself for an answer to her question because it was done automatically on a \"most peer agree grades\" basis within a few hours.

From the other end of the spectrum, I have just had points awarded to me on this basis for questions dating from September 17 and September 18 last year.

Incidentally, we are urged to contact the site on matters of this nature via Support Requests; I did so on a matter related to this about three weeks ago but have had no reply, so am posting this here, partly for that reason, partly because it would be interesting to know other people\'s experience of this (and also of receiving replies from Support Requests).

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:12
SITE FOUNDER
the robot is going further back Apr 28, 2002

For the past few months, an \"autograding\" robot has attempted to close any question that was exactly 2 weeks old but had not been graded. Obviously, it did not grade any question that predated it by more than 2 weeks. And once a question was 2-weeks old, additional \'agrees\' would not precipitate autograding.

Based on feedback received in this forum, we decided to run the robot against questions asked prior to the period the robot has been in use. That is why you noticed that older questions were graded.

On the first day or two we ran the modified robot, it also ran on questions that were brand new. This was a bug and has been corrected.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Robot always awards four points Apr 28, 2002

One of the awards I referred to was four points for a question which should not have been put as a question at all, it was more of a subject for forum discussion. I would not have awarded myself more than one point for this, if that. But the robot always awards four. It\'s probably too much to expect a robot to judge between 1, 2, 3 & 4 points or whether the question was worth anything to anyone, but it would be nice if it could.

Thank you, Henry, for your explanation.

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Any advance on........ Apr 28, 2002

August 26th,2001??

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-28 18:42 ]

Margaret Doney
French to English
+ ...
Here's an honest man! Apr 28, 2002

I just want to say how refreshing it is to see Jack\'s complaint that he\'s been awarded too many points. All too often we see a barrage of replies to questions from those obviously unqualified to answer them, presumably because they are desperate for the points. It\'s nice to see their antithesis.

Margaret

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Yes: 16 July 2001 Apr 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-28 18:41, dashgbr wrote:

August 26th,2001??

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-28 18:42 ]

Do I hear ... 1999? ))
[addsig]

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
So much for AI Apr 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-28 08:01, jdoughty wrote:

It\'s probably too much to expect a robot to judge between 1, 2, 3 & 4 points or whether the question was worth anything to anyone, but it would be nice if it could.

I guess if a machine can\'t do that, it can\'t translate, either. Our jobs are safe, Jack
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 11:12
German to English
+ ...
Hear, hear Apr 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-28 23:05, mdoney wrote:

I just want to say how refreshing it is to see Jack\'s complaint that he\'s been awarded too many points. All too often we see a barrage of replies to questions from those obviously unqualified to answer them, presumably because they are desperate for the points. It\'s nice to see their antithesis.

Margaret

Spot on, Margaret, and kudos to Jack

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ point awards by robot

Advanced search

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search