KudoZ... illness or addiction?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
May 4, 2002

Sorry, but this has been bugging me for a while... I\'ve been a member of Proz for over a year now and at the beginning I was completely hooked on KudoZ... but now, I find them the most boring feature on Proz! Yes, they are useful if you have a doubt or can\'t find a term, but as far as answering the questions is concerned, I just can\'t be bothered anymore! Explain me something: how do the highest ranked members find the stamina and the time to keep answering so many questions? Boring, boring, boring! Have they got nothing else to do? Can we talk about KudoZ addiction? Is it an illness? As we say in Italian: il gioco è bello finché dura poco.

A terminally bored Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-04 09:22 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
For me its the challenge May 4, 2002

Hi Giovanni,

I enjoy the challenge of finding the right answer to a question. I agree that some requests are pretty mundane while others are well beyond my expertise. My language group is not one of the most popular (EN>GR, GR>EN)

so I am not inundated with emails.

I have received no work through proz but feel that I AM building up my experience and knowledge.

Don\'t get despondent. Switch off for a while and, to quote my 17 yr old son, \'Chill Out\'

Regards

Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:00
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It is addictive... May 4, 2002

I am a very recent member and found this site quite useful and interesting.

I am very happy to recieve Kudoz points but sometimes when I have no time, I rush answering this and get many disagrees. I am a fulltime translator at the Japanese machenary manufactuer and offcourse I am busy most of the time. I think the mail saying conglatullations makes you feel like you have done something good for people and gives you confidence. I have never worked with anybody through this site but possibility is there if I have a good apeal and reputation at kudoz...

This is my passtime hoby also I learn a lot through it. In Japanese saying...Momo kuri sannen kaki hachinen and this... Binbo hima nashi. Meaning? Ask Kudoz!

VBaby
English to French
+ ...
Health warning: KudoZ can temporarily damage your sanity May 4, 2002

KudoZ is an addiction, but like most addictions it eventually wears off.

In some cases however, the addiction is so strong that it can probably be characterized as an illness, with assorted pathological symptoms such as rapid fire answers to even ununderstood questions, manic disagreeing with peers, vituperative private e-mails to colleagues, all the way to the creation of false profiles to award points to oneself. I think there should be a health warning on KudoZ pages to the effect that \"KudoZ can temporarily damage your sanity\".

On a serious point, I don\'t find KudoZ terminally boring but, on the contrary, I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of trying to solve puzzles and provide answers. It\'s a good way to further one\'s knowledge.

In the end, all the shortcomings and unpalatable side-effects of KudoZ could be resolved at a stroke: DROP THE POINTS SYSTEM! Questions will still get answered by helpful colleagues, the quality of answers will increase dramatically and this will flush away most of the intemperate and ignorant point chasers.

Stopping to awards KudoZ and BrowniZ points linked to KudoZ would do wonders to reinforce the sense of community and professionalism of this site and would even save ProZ.com a lot of money in bandwidth costs.

Federica Jean  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Stimulating intellectual game, IMHO May 4, 2002

I have been visiting this community for quite a short time - less than four months now - yet I have been undergoing the same attitude shift.

In the beginning, I was (over?)enthusiastic about KudoZ questions, but now collecting KudoZ points (or just proving a point) seems much less important. I first read the forums and only then have a look at the KudoZ questions (usually skimming the \"easy\" ones, which tend to be the least intellectually challenging - nice euphemism, uh?).

Bored already? No, I think I just grew more discriminating. Now that I know the site better, I tend to pay more attention to whom posted the question and/or to the subject matter, etc., and only spend time to research questions that really interest me for whatever reason.

I find KudoZ a pleasurable intellectual challenge, and a very welcome break (especially when I am working on long, boring texts). Most importantly, IMHO, it offers a fascinating review of the mind-workings of many different people from the most disparate backgrounds engaged on the same problem. Moreover, it can potentially be a professionally useful \"affinity-finding\" (or \"complementarity-finding\") game.

From that point of view, I don\'t think it will ever bore me at all (but then, ask me again in a year\'s time ).

French Locale
English to French
+ ...
I agree with you - I just don't care anymore May 4, 2002

My main \"problem\" with KudoZ so far is that each time I receive an email regarding an English > French language query and think I can be of any help, I notice that someone already answered, which is good, ok, no problem with it - I don\'t care about gaining KudoZ points anyway, I have enough more constructive races to win and do not want to add this one to my to-do list - but it does not motivate me at all to answer queries.

I de-activated the KudoZ email function in April as I was working on a large project and didn\'t have time to answer any query; I re-activated it this week but I just gave up and for now on I will simply go through the unanswered queries when I visit the site.

But, of course, this has nothing to do with the interest of the KudoZ feature in itself.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

KudoZ activity - a blessing! May 4, 2002

Looking at and answering KudoZ questions is a very interesting, edifying and rewarding activity.

You see, you learn to see, you think, you learn how others think, you reflect, you look up, you learn where to look up, you choose, you learn to choose, you search, you learn where to search, you combine, you learn to combine, you learn to be humble, you learn a lot of new words in different langauges, you learn new ways of expressing the same thing, you meet a lot of (mostly intelligent) minds, you build networks, you enjoy every part of the day

AND

you have a beautiful spinoff:

X number of customers might approach you because they think:

\"With so may points in our language pair this guy cannot be so bad a translator (even if we haven\'t tested him/her yet)\"

Not to forget all the friends you win when you meet in the KudoZ arena.

I hope I have helped you to acquire a better understanding of the KudoZ \'mystery\'.

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749

ProZ.com moderator (deu>swe)

Träsk 201

S-872 97 Skog

Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia

(Hohe Küste/High Coast/Haute Côte/Costa Alta)

Tel: +46-612-54112

Tel: +46-70-5769797 (Handy/mobile)

Fax: +46-612-54182

Fax: +46-612-54181 (eMail)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
yes, Mats... May 4, 2002

as someone who has accumulated 1688 Kudoz in the last 12 months, I\'m well aware of the mechanisms of the Kudoz \"game\" and all the rest... my question was: how come people don\'t seem to get bored with it! Do you need to be \"stimulated\" all the time? I suspect it\'s just a way of insuring visibility and hence clients. But if these people are sooo good, how come they need all this visibility?

Giovanni

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

I don't see your point. May 4, 2002

Who said that \"those people\" are \"sooo good\"?

I told you: Visibility is not the point. The accumulated proof of a certain amount of expertise is.

\"Game\"? You don\'t contend that askers do it for fun, do you? (Possibly tha answerers).

Askers are often in dire need of help. Can one call that a game. I don\'t think so.

On stimulation: I often find hour after hour of translation boring. Thus, a KudoZ visit is a reviving experience.

Mats

French Locale
English to French
+ ...
ok, but... May 4, 2002

Of course, I do fully understand the interest of the KudoZ system, not only for the people posting queries but also for the ones answering them.

But, regarding the speed at which queries are answered, I guess I would have to make nearly permanent checks on the site to look for newly posted queries. First, I don\'t have enough time to do so and second, I consider this would damage my actual work as I would be \"distracted\" by external terminology checks. Good for you if you can do it, but I do prefer to be fully involved in what I\'m working on and follow the text essence.

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I am with Giovanni May 4, 2002

Quote:

But if these people are sooo good, how come they need all this visibility?

Giovanni, you\'ve hit it on the nail. It\'s an addiction for some people. It was one for me too, for a while, but I have tried and mostly succeeded in cutting it down. Also, I was hoping to gain more direct clients as a result of added visibility. Now, I am not going to say it hasn\'t worked at all: who knows how much it influenced those of my recent clients who bothered to look at my Proz page. I suspect it\'s impossible to quantify. But my feeling, based on acquaintance with those clients, is that the effect was minimal.

I answer questions because sometimes it\'s intellectually stimulating; sometimes profesionally useful to discuss possible translations; and sometimes ... well, because sometimes I do think I know the correct answer and nobody seems to have given it.
[addsig]

xxxTanuki
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Forgive me my poetic licence, if you may... May 4, 2002

Two totally unrelated (yet poetic) URLs

http://grassroots.mediacentre.com/OCDEREGIB/fox__grapes_story.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/155/15.html

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Bless KuduZ! May 4, 2002

I used to translate 6 hours per day for USD .07 per word.

Now I translate 4 hours per day for USD .14 per word and play KudoZ 2 hours per day.

I used to beg for translation jobs by email and phone.

Now I turn down 75 % of the unsolicited job offers I receive.

Bless KuduZ!

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Lot's of reasons! May 4, 2002

Giovanni,

all reasons mentioned have some value. I spent my day on proZ in the beginning, because I just turned to translation again and wanted to see how it works on the net.

I got:

- Interesting questions

- Excellent answers

- The feeling for where to research and how not to loose time researching

- Lots of invaluable links I did not even know existed.

- KudoZ galore.

- A few good friends

After three months, I deactivated the e-mails.

Now and then, I drop in when I have time, to answer questions that interest me personally. I get some private inquiries for more information and I search again, just for the pleasure of helping people, because lot\'s helped me lots.

I also discovered some were addicted to the game and others, the cheats, doing everything to get Kudoz.

And the KudoZ believers, who think it helps to get work. I do not know, I think it does not work that way in every language pair. No for FR-EN-GE.

And last but not least: a small group getting a kick out of it because they can teach lessons to everybody because they know best. That\'s KudoZ for me. We have to live with it.

A good week-end to all.

Maya

You question about continuous stimulation: Some categories above certainly cannot do without it. It is easy to see which ones.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-04 13:12 ]

David Rockell
Chinese to English
Surplus value (and isn't Kudoz infringing the copyright of a perfume manufacturer anyway?) May 4, 2002

While we beaver away \"earning\" Kudoz points, might we not ask ourselves to whom the Kudoz really belongs or at least to whom it is destined? My hat of (as always)to Henry for providing this avenue to display our (I mean my) ample talents. I just wish some of you people out there would ask me questions I knew the answers to.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ... illness or addiction?

Advanced search

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs