Mobile menu

SAE translation quality standard (made for automotive, but applies to all)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:12
SITE FOUNDER
May 22, 2002

SAE has published a standard that provides for a statistical representation of the quality of a translation.

While the standard ignores style, it otherwise seems to be a creative way to judge quality. I highly recommend it, especially for anyone working in the automotive industry (though it is general enough to apply well to all fields):

TO read more, and buy, go to:

http://www.sae.org/technicalcommittees/j2450p1.htm

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Boosting rates May 22, 2002

There has been a lot of talk in these forums about boosting rates.

To those ProZ.com members who think that raising rates in the translation industry is as simple as cutting off the bottom half of a pull-down menu, I say this: you are dreaming. Rates in an industry are determined by various factors...but pull-down menus are not one of them!

To be clear: ProZ.com stands to gain nothing by low rates. Our bias is this: we would like to see good translators make more money than they do now, and we would like to see bad translators make less.

The trick is in giving people a way to tell the good and bad translators apart. Often, clients have no way to tell the difference, and until we give them a way, a client will have no justification to pay anyone anything but the \"going rates\".

So our plan is this: We intend to provide more tools to allow relationships to form between rates and quality. Standards like the one above will help us to do that.

If you are a good translator, do not fear quality standards. You stand only to gain. (If you are bad, sorry!, things are only going to get worse!)

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am so glad you brought these standards up May 22, 2002

In the effort to establish company wise revision and evaluation criteria, I was looking at the work done in the automotive industry, and the quality metrics they use.

And quality matters to keep clients and also provide incentives to good translators, both in house and freelance.

paola l m

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! May 22, 2002

Thank you for the standard, Henry. It\'s very useful and it provides me a structured way of doing what I have been doing until now.

Kind regards,

P.

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
A Question May 22, 2002

This sounds very interesting. I have a technical question:

When translating from German to English, I will adjust to the way English sentences are formed. For example, I might turn a German sentence with many dependencies into 2 English sentences. Some German standard phrases find no match in English, or vice versa.

How is that handled?

The application of standards will keep \"wild editing\" to a minimum. Most translators will probably welcome standards, if for that reason alone.

---------------

And the answer is: There is a program addition to account for style.

Seems that the download/CD for the standards ($ 59.00) covers automotive translations only, at least so far.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-23 13:24 ]

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free information? May 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-22 12:10, Henry wrote:

SAE J2450 Translation Quality Standard

Is this the same document that is for sale on the SAE website?

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDetail?PROD_CD=J2450_200112&PROD_TYP=STD&COMMON_SUCCESS=TRUE

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
To purchase the standard... May 22, 2002

The standard is sold in various formats by SAE. To read more, and buy, go to:

http://www.sae.org/technicalcommittees/j2450p1.htm

To answer your question, Dyran, I don\'t know if this is the same as the standard being sold, since I got this information elsewhere on the web. I have written to SAE to see if posting this is a problem.

(Later)

Ooops. Found their copyright notice. I am replacing my prior posting with a link to the task force\'s page...

Hans Gärtner  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
German to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias, Enrique May 22, 2002

This is something we all should take into consideration.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SAE translation quality standard (made for automotive, but applies to all)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs