Mobile menu

Profitable networking, teambuilding and virtual co-operation?
Thread poster: Glenn Viklund
Glenn Viklund  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 21:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 29, 2002

I\'ve been thinking about this for a while; Many translators on ProZ have in various forums\' expressed that one of the strongest benefits of this site relates to the fact that they have now met many new professional friends and created new (international) partnerships.

My questions are:

Are you now part of alliances (or teams) deriving from your ProZ membership that has paid off economically?

If so, it would be very interesting to hear the reasons as to why you think this has been successful (eg. why the alliance have achieved things you couldn\'t have done by yourself..)

If not, the reasons for that would probably be at least as interesting to hear..

Or has your participation (and expectation) regarding this, more to do with the \"social benefits\"?

Would be interesting to hear your views on this.

Regards,

Glenn Viklund

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-30 01:06 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Francisco Herrerias  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
French to Spanish
+ ...
Up to this moment... May 30, 2002

I have not had any direct financial benefit from my relation and interaction here at ProZ, but the help I have had for certain difficult terms or phrases, as well as the interaction with the colleages, have been of great benefit for me, I see the translator job on a completely different way, and I am more enthusiastic about becoming a full-time freelance translator.

Hope to continue being a ProZadict, as Aurora states.

God bless you

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 15:04
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Real benefits for me May 30, 2002

Good question, Glenn.

My benefits have been tangible. One of the great problem for a freelance is keeping a large enough client base happy so that the work might keep flowing regularly.

By entering into formal and informal partnerships with colleagues I met on proz.com, I was able to share the work load with them (when I had too much and when they had too much). I have also moved into new areas of expertise under their tutelage, and so have they, by acting as mutual revisors and terminologists.

Hope this is helpful.

paola l m

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Horses for courses May 31, 2002

Hi Glenn,

No, I haven\'t had any \"direct\" benefits from ProZ in the sense that no one has ever offered me work because I have a ProZ profile or take part in the KudoZ game (which I think is great fun).

Thanks to ProZ, however, I have \"met\", virtually or in person, quite a lot of translators. Each, like me, has specific strengths and, as a result, I have sometimes been able to keep customers happy by passing on work that I can\'t, or don\'t want to, do myself. On other occasions, I have involved ProZ translators in team projects. So ProZ is a good way of exchanging information, at least for me.

I am also fond of ProZ because I met, and very much liked, Henry at the ProZ conference in Porto Santo Stefano. He struck me as an honest, intelligent person with a clear idea of what he wants to do with the ProZ site.

What he told me was that he wants to make a living by fulfilling needs in the translation market (I had kind of guessed, anyway), which is fine by me because, as they say in Italy, \"patti chiari, amici cari\" (if the deal\'s clear, friends stay dear). Crucially, Henry is only too willing to adapt to the translation market\'s changing needs, which is why I liked him.

That said, I haven\'t taken out Platinum membership, for example. It\'s not because I don\'t think it\'s a good idea but simply because I really can\'t see how I would get 120 dollars\' worth of extra business from it in a year. Other people in other situations could - and have - benefited greatly from Platinum membership, though, so it is obviously a valid product.

FWIW,

Giles

xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Positve with a capital P Jun 2, 2002

Hi Glenn,

I\'ve only been a member since January and I\'ve made friends, killed time, let off steam, smiled, laughed, received invaluable help and support, helped others, learned tons, outsourced jobs outside my language pairs/expertise, off-loaded work, organised a powwow, am soon to participate in another one and have been contacted about doing translations from about 10 different sources.

What more can I say, well worth the 120 dollars and would prozcribe it to anyone...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profitable networking, teambuilding and virtual co-operation?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs