Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 31, 2002

When you browse through the site and select any major language combination, you will easily notice that most non-paying members are not distinguished at all.

On the top of the list is anyone with KudoZ points, then come those with some BrowniZ. So far everything is fine. As a very rough estimate, 75% of members in any language pair have 0 KudoZ and 300 BrowniZ, indicating little or no site activity. In fact, members who bid at least once may be ranked at the end of the list, behind the completely inactive members.

Now, this is my proposal for this category of site users (0 KudoZ, 300 BrowniZ): certain points should be awarded for completing their profile, such as \"background information\", or uploading a CV, etc. These points would not count towards KudoZ or BrowniZ, rather, it would be an internal counter, used solely for ranking purposes. There are many translators out there who bothered to make their profile meaningful (CV, affiliations, CAT tools, etc.). In my opinion, priority should be given to these members (again, after the 0-K-0-B cutoff point).

If this policy is adopted, then it should be communicated to existing members concerned, as well as to all new members. This would serve as an encouragement to fill in (or \"out\" in the US) profiles, and search results would also be more representative.

------------

10 minutes after posting this, I just realized that there is also a \"Suggestions\" topic. Anyway, I hope I am not too much off-topic here either.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-31 12:33 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
German to English
Ranking based on profiles May 31, 2002

Sorry I disagree. I\'m not sure exactly what lists you are talking about where the translators are \"ranked,\" but if we have to be ranked at all, I would think the Kudoz/Browniz points a translator has accumulated would be a better reflection of his/her site activity (and benefit to the Proz community) than whatever he/she might choose to include in the profile. Since the profiles are self-composed and therefore highly variable, an objective evaluation/comparison would be difficult indeed. How exactly should that be done - the guys with the longest CV\'s get the gold, or what?

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:40
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree!!!!!!!!!!! May 31, 2002

Yes, Merely the number of kudoz should not be the only criterion for bid list placement. I am sure that those of us who have filled their CVs do show something about them. I once saw a members page with so many errors in it, I would not trust this member to translate \"Hello\" for me!. I believe this could be something (among other things) which can speak about the quality of us translators.

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not instead of kudoZ Jun 1, 2002

To Beth:

I did not propose to replace the KudoZ count for ranking purposes. My idea was that those translators who do not have any KudoZ and only 300 Browniz should be listed according to their profile contents.

Which list am I talking about?

\"Search for ProZ\" option on the main screen - you select a language combination - there you have the list.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ ranking, empty profiles, etc.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs