Mobile menu

When do we start retranslating the GUI, then?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 1, 2005

G'day everyone

I just discovered that I have the option to have my profile displayed in Afrikaans to the public[1]. However, the translation is horrible. I quickly changed it back to English, lest any potential client might think that I was responsible for the translation!

Here, I'm willing to retranslate the Proz GUI into Afrikaans... for free. And it will be a good translation, too.

I do believe that previously single sentences or phrases were translated in exchange for Browniz, but this produced poor results. Holding a single translator and a limited number of proofreaders publically accountable for the translations may produce better results.

Any comments?

==
[1] I knew about this from long ago, but today I rediscovered it.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxEdda Emery  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
German to English
+ ...
Translation of profile Apr 1, 2005

Hello Samuel,

You've got my interest in one respect: how do you view your profile in a different language? I haven't yet discovered that option.

As regards translating everything into Afrikaans, I'm not sure there'd be sufficient need to view it in Afrikaans for the effort involved. Besides, most Afrikaans translators have English as their second language, so it would be unnecessary.

While I am admitedly a new member, I have not seen a single job posted from South Africa. So I'm not sure for whose benefit you are wanting to translate everything into Afrikaans?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to set profile language Apr 7, 2005

Edda Emery wrote:
You've got my interest in one respect: how do you view your profile in a different language? I haven't yet discovered that option.

Go to your profile page. Click the "Settings" tab. Scroll down and click "Site Language". Then select Afrikaans, click the Change-button, and weep.

As regards translating everything into Afrikaans, I'm not sure there'd be sufficient need to view it in Afrikaans for the effort involved. Besides, most Afrikaans translators have English as their second language, so it would be unnecessary.

Your profile is viewed by clients, who may be biased. I'm sure you know how strongly Afrikaners feel about their language, and what difference it can make to cement a relationship by communicating with your client in his language, in a way which shows respect for his language.

I offered to translate the GUI... but I don't care how many users there are. I translate professionally, but I also do it for pleasure.

Your comment? And comment from staff too, please (which was what I was hoping for initially).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When do we start retranslating the GUI, then?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs