Mobile menu

PayPal: what do you all think?
Thread poster: Lexi-tech

Lexi-tech  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
Italian to English
+ ...
May 31, 2002

How do you think Paypal is working? Is it available to most translators world-wide? Does it work well for large/small amounts of money?

Is Paypal being used by outsourcers? And how?

I would be grateful if you were to contribute your point of view and help us make a decision in this respect.

paola ludovici macquarrie

Lexi-tech International

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxwilliamson
Local time: 23:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Europe May 31, 2002

In some European countries, you can withdraw money received through Paypal to your regular bank-account. In others, you cannot, which is quite a disadvantage.

You cannot buy goods with it. Sometimes, you must be able to withdraw money.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:23
SITE FOUNDER
It is very convenient and the rates are good May 31, 2002

But sometimes, they freeze accounts (they froze that of ProZ.com, on an error, and it took a week to correct the situation.)

On balance, it is a useful tool. I recommend you set up an account, use it for small payments, and if you find it satisfactory, increase your limits.

In the US, c2it is another alternative that is a more convenient in several ways; for example, it lets you send money to people who are not c2it members.

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
not sure May 31, 2002

I just opened a paypal account, I haven\'t used it yet. I am not sure if I will ever use it after reading comments posted at paypalwarning.com.

Hopefully more people will reply to your posting as I am curious, too, to find out how well paypal is working for proZ members.

There are probably other threads here regarding this matter, if they are maybe somebody could kindly point me to them.

Thank you!

Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Anti "funny" letters May 31, 2002

In trying to set up a PayPal account some time ago, the on-line registration form refused to accept my surname.

Reason: It contains a letter that is not in the English alphabet -- æ -- æ

There is no work-around since your name has to correspons in every detail to the name your credit card is registered for. I wrote to their support dept.: They cannot help me, and they have no plans to amend the on-line form to allow for \"funny characters\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-31 15:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-31 15:59 ]

Jennifer Brinckmann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:23
English to Spanish
Paypal does work May 31, 2002

I subscribed to the service in November 2000 and I went to the entire steps to get verified although I was still a little afraid to use it.

I figured that if they still existed after more then one year than it could not hurt to start using it.

I started out with very small amounts (30-70 dollars) and I found out that it is by far better than I initially thought.

Now I don\'t hesitate to send paypal money request to companies in the UK, US, Canada and Mexico (so far) for amounts of +1,000 dollars at a time. And it is still cheaper than the wiretransfers.

I would use it without any concerns.

Best regards,

Jennifer Brinckmann

Freelance Translator and Proofreader

English > Spanish

Jake Estrada  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 06:23
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
It's a shame really that we (still) don't have it here in the Philippines May 31, 2002

(a view from the Manila--where PayPal is sorely missed)

Paypal is a good execution of a very brilliant concept--sending and receiving money across borders while staying within the comfortable confines of your home or office. It offers very good transaction fees too, and has been able to build a name for itself among its clients (and a respected one at that).

However, it still puzzles me why PayPal continues to be unavailable here in my country, the Philippines. I have been doing business over the Internet for almost five years already (I\'m not sure if PayPal has been around that long) but up to now, I still rely primarily on bank-to-bank transactions, and on Western Union money transfer, which are *very* costly methods. In addition to that, such methods usually do not allow for transactions involving small amounts (i.e. less than US$100, the ones we translators sometimes find ourselves in)

The main irony here is that there are an estimated 10 million Filipinos workers and professionals overseas--and PayPal continues to fail to tap into that golden opportunity. These workers send over an estimated US$100 billion annually in cash to their families and friends here in the Philippines, and what with all the Filipino manpower that abound especially in IT, that figure is guaranteed to grow even bigger.

Numerous small-scale alternatives abound, and these are usually Filipino-owned businesses tied up with Philippine-based banks and/or money handling firms. In lieu of PayPal, I have signed up with one such service (www.mabini.com) last year in order to receive payment--at a *very affordable* US$5 per transaction as compared to the US$15-US$30 per transaction with banks and Western Union. So far, the service is very good, something that would perhaps add to PayPal\'s multiple reasons why they\'re still left out of the Philippine market.

I hope that my (drawn-out) two cents would be a good contribution to this topic... Best regards everyone.

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Positive experience with PayPal May 31, 2002

I am using PayPal since I came to live in the UK, because in this country it is possible to have the money transfered from my PayPal account to my Bank account. Till now it has worked very well and I am satisfied that I can do everything sitting at the PC - I receive a notification by e-mail that the money has been received, I transfer it to my Bank account, I check by Internet Banking that it has been received by the Bank - very smooth and quick, too.

The whole procedure costs, of course - but not more than a Bank transfer.

Nevertheless, I am still cautious towards this system and have used it only for smaller jobs; when I have problems with my Bank, I can go there, speak with my Account Manager and he will do his best to help me and solve the problem - but should I have problems with PayPal, I don\'t know how easy it would be to solve them...

Gilda

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It could have something to do with your Central bank May 31, 2002

Dear Jake,

I live both in Canada and Barbados (not keen on the Canadian winters!!!) and I have been a Paypal user for a few years now. I enjoy the service, I use it at times to purchase things on sites like Ebay

I set it up with my Canadian details (Canadian credit card verified etc), but I can\'t for Barbados, because Paypal is not available for this country (just like in your case)...

The reason is that the Central Bank of Barbados restricts the flow of money going out of the country.

They love to take in foreign currency, but they don\'t want to let go of it so easily. So since I would not be able to register with a Barbadian credit card (and have it verified), Paypal simply cannot do business here because of the countries restriction on foreign exchange (the governement would not be able to monitor things as closely) - so they don\'t provide services in the island.

I am wondering if this is the same situation with your country? Central Bank & Foreign Exchange restrictions...

In Barbados, you can only take out a certain amount of foreign currency if you travel abroad, you must show your travel documents and they record in your passport how much money (cash - limited to $500 per year, not per trip!) and how much travelers\' cheques (unlimited) you are taking on your trip.

If they *feel* that the amount you want to take with you is too high for the duration of your trip, you then have to give them a lot more details about your business abroad ect...

As pretty and expensive as Barbados is, it\'s still a 3rd world country in regards to banking!

Regards,

Nathalie

P.s. I forgot to mention that I only use it for very small amounts. I do not think that I would trust large amount to any entities in cyberspace!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-31 16:55 ]

ejprotran
Local time: 07:23
English to Japanese
PayPal seems to be fine with me...how about other similar services? May 31, 2002

As for PayPal, it has worked well for me. Luckily enough, I have never had any problems with its service. At the same time, I\'m aware that there are a couple of websites that reveal its potential problems to it as someone suggested in this forum. I really don\'t know if those websites are telling true stories or just making them up. So I started to using YahooDirect which basically offers the same service as PayPal does, except that YahooDirect is not currently available to people living outside the US. I\'m a bit frustrated with this situation because of the fact that YahooDirect is only available for the US based individuals/businesses. Since I have had many transactions with the clients from European countries, its strategy doesn\'t really meet the needs for my clients\' payment options. It seems that C2it also has the same problem that is not necessarily convenient people living outside the US. Although C2it is operated by Citibank that seems to have more credibility than others, I don\'t know if my clients in Europe are willing to use it as their ways to send me money. Given this current situation about these payment methods, I think that I\'d better stick to PayPal for the time being until both YahooDirect and C2it implement their services outside the US.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:23
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
What about PayPal if my account isn't in my country ? May 31, 2002

I live in Chile, I have a bank account in France. How would it work ?

Thanks

Claudia

Jake Estrada  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 06:23
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Re: Central bank restrictions, etc. Jun 1, 2002

Hi Nathalie:

Appreciate your viewpoint and thoughts. I really don\'t have the facts to prove or dispel that restrictions with our Central Bank (particularly on forex outflow) prevents PayPal from doing business here in the Philippines. But from all indications, apparently that\'s not the case.

Firstly, if there\'s anything PayPal would be heavily involved in here in the Philippines, that would be cash inflow (due to remittances from overseas Filipinos as I have previously described).

However, I acknowledge there\'s still the spectre of it being used for sinister forex outflow operations (i.e. money laundering). Nevertheless, if these bad guys were to \"strut their stuff\", there are already a lot of alternatives they can use in this era without PayPal (one of which is Western Union outbound transfer; another more common approach is through the banks). Thus, if our Central Bank were to impose (or have imposed) restrictions on PayPal because of outbound forex concerns, those efforts would have been futile, and they know it.

Secondly, the Philippines is quite up-to-date with regards to integrating banking or money processing with ICT (computers, mobile phones, etc.). Internet banking has been here for quite a long time already, and so is over-the-phone banking including fund transfers.

Two years ago, a service was introduced wherein a person could transfer funds, pay for a movie ticket, buy merchandise at certain stores, order a pizza, etc.---by only typing SMS messages on his/her GSM mobile phone. (which was, of course electronically tied up with his/her bank account). If services such as these are to be an indicator, I think our Central Bank is on the other hand, quite liberal.

But then again, I may be talking about small monetary amounts (and domestic transactions as well). Yet if I may dare make a hunch, I don\'t think our Central Bank regulations are what\'s holding back PayPal. The Western Union signs mushrooming all over Manila makes me think so

Best wishes,

Jake

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal: what do you all think?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs