Translation of references, footnotes
Thread poster: AAAmedical

AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 11, 2002

I am having a discussion with a client who wants me to translate a medical article. I feel (as I always do) that references at the end of the text (author, references of articles, name of the reference article or book) should NOT be translated as they are meant to refer to articles on which the author based himself to write the new article.

Translating them makes it almost impossible to find this references back.

Do you agree or disagree with this and why?

Thanks a lot

Ann

Direct link Reply with quote

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Provide source and target titles of the references Jun 11, 2002

If the references are quoted in the source language then I usually leave them as they are and add a translation of the titles etc. in the target language. This way the original references are preserved and the reader can also understand what they mean. Another advantage is that you can charge for a few more lines

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Don't translate titles Jun 11, 2002

I agree that titles in Bibliography should not be translated. What I usually do is I translate things like \"published by\" or \"edited by\", \"in:\", number of pages etc. If I am aware that the book or article was actually translated and published in the target language, I may ADD the title and publisher of translation, but only in case if it is a book well known enough, I usually do not do any special research as to what from the bibliography was translated and published and what was not.

In some cases however, especially if it is a list of publications attached to someone\'s CV, where the meaning of titles might be very important for the reader, I add again the translation after the original title which should be kept anyway for all good reasons Ann has just listed above.

Cheers,

Magda

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keep biblio entries in original. Translate them only if requested and paid to do that Jun 11, 2002

Greetings.

Keep such bibliographic entries in their original form and languages.

Translate them only if requested and paid to do so. That approach especially helps is the reader wants to find, retrieve and consult an item of interest.

HTH.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke

English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keep biblio entries in original. Translate them only if requested and paid to do that Jun 11, 2002

edited duplicate

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would say, never! Jun 11, 2002

It seems logical taht a text with a biblio is one read by educated people, whether experts or not in the field. It can be assumed that they can put 2 and 2 together and deduce, given the standardised formats for bibliographies, what each item in a bibliographic reference means (such as page nos., vols, etc). They often know enough of a few languages and/or the field to be able to deduce meanings of article and book titles.

Another point is that for articles, books etc, no translation other than the official one - if it exists - should be used, and provisional translations have no place in a bibliography (it is both wrong and pointless, if the person doesn\'t undertsnad the title of a text, he/she is hardly going to be able to read even it if he/she located the original). A provisional translation may be necessary within a text, but has no place in a bibliography. In fact, it may lead a person to believe that the article or book has been translated and he/she may therefore start off on a fruitless search.

To translate bibliographical items is like translating addresses, or street names for tourists, totally pointless and if anything, confusing. It also goes against conventions for drawing up bibliographical lists.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of references, footnotes

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs